iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Vegitation on woods roads

Started by Eljay, May 07, 2007, 09:50:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Eljay

I just finished repairing some of my woods roads that were badly eroded during a nor'easter we had a couple of weeks ago. The roads required regrading and ditching. I'd like to get some vegitation growing on the steeper areas. Most of the roads are in no more than partial sun. What can you suggest?

WDH

It is best to keep the road "day-lighted" so that the sun can easily reach the road and accelerate drying after rain events.  I would say maintain 10' on each side of the ditch or road bed and keep that area in grass.  That way, you can periodically mow the road sides to keep the road day-lighted.  I would not allow the road side to grow back up in trees or shrubs.  Keeping the sun on the road makes a huge difference.
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Eljay

Thanks for your reply. Do you have a specific recommendation on what to plant on the road?

Texas Ranger

Talk with your local state agri agent, they will have a standard for your area.
The Ranger, home of Texas Forestry

pineywoods

Maybe we should send some kudzu roots  ;D
1995 Wood Mizer LT 40, Liquid cooled kawasaki,homebuilt hydraulics. Homebuilt solar dry kiln.  Woodmaster 718 planner, Kubota M4700 with homemade forks and winch, stihl  028, 029, Ms390
100k bd ft club.Charter member of The Grumpy old Men

Thank You Sponsors!