iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Hitting nails

Started by Qweaver, May 07, 2007, 07:32:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Qweaver

Up until yesterday the only metal that I had hit was some that I put in the way (standards and dogs) but in sawing a 28" dia. log taken from right behind the old home place I found several nails deep in the butt log at just about small boy height...very likely hidden treasure put there by me about 50+ years ago.  After hitting the first one, I started using the metal detector and it picked up the rest just fine. We were able to saw the remainder of the tree without problem and it turned out to be a great tree...lots of straight logs and nearly clear boards.  I guess sacrificing one blade is a small price to pay for my childhood mischief.
Quinton
So Many Toys...So Little Time  WM LT28 , 15 trailers, Case 450 Dozer, John Deere 110 TLB, Peterson WPF 10",  AIM Grapple, Kubota 2501 :D

Ironwood

I usually keep cutting on the logs I find with metal. If I have hauled it in there is usually some unique characteristic  (crotch, curly grain, etc) and I figure keep going. My one sawyer doesnt sharpen his blades, so his dull ones, I run them to a friend's w/ a sharpener put and edge on them and reuse them to cut thru the rest of the log. I had a hard maple here 24" wide boards REALLY heavy wire fence thru it, it was curly so 8 resharpened blades late I "won". I probably went too far with this one. But I hate to waste anything.
              Ironwood
There is no scarcity of opportunity to make a living at what you love to do, there is only scarcity of resolve to make it happen.- Wayne Dyer

treebucker

Qweaver,
I've also been lucky. I hit some buckshot in a spalted poplar. I could feel it but it was soft and didn't damage the blade. Polished the dogs more than once. That knocked the set out of the bands. Finally hit a small nail making a wide cut in spalted pecan. Didn't even notice it. The blade started to rise so I replaced the band and made a cleaning cut. Hit it again and still didn't notice it. I kept cutting boards. Later, by chance I picked up that veneer that resulted from the clearing cut and the sunlight made the nail shine.  There was no stain around it. I guess nails don't make stains in pecan. ??? My luck is about to run out as a tree service company is going to start dropping off logs soon. Then I will be paying for other children's childhood mischief...or is it I will be paying for the childhood mischief I thought I had gotten away with? ;D

Last night I lay in bed looking up at the stars in the sky and
I thought to myself, "Where the heck is the ceiling?!" - Anon

Brad_S.

Hit enough of them and you'll start to recognize the telltale "zing" when you saw through one, often accompanied by a chugging sound shortly after. I've got way to much experience in this area. ::) :D
  It's usually possible to stop and pick the metal shards off the teeth and keep going with that same blade to finish out a suspect log. Feed speed has some play in how long you can nurse a blade in nail infested logs. If you're pretty sure you're going to strike metal in a cut, it's better to keep the feed rate as high as possible and only catch a dozen or two teeth than to ease into it and hit the metal with more teeth.
"Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans." J. Lennon

WDH

So Qweaver,

You're the one that put all these nails in trees?  I was wondering how there could be so many ;D.
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Tom

I've got a different theory about hitting nails. It does't do me much good because I never anticipate the nails anyway.  :D

It seems that the nails I hit at hi feed rates break teeth completely off of the band.  When I'm going slow, sometimes the band will cut a soft or small nail without too much damage. 

I theorized that the high speed rate allowed the nail be deeper in the gullet because the tooth was cutting deeper.  There is no sharp tip low down on the face of the tooth so the only option left is for the tooth to give away.  If I'm going slow, the tip of the tooth may have a chance to cut through the nail because it has a chance to come into contact with it.

Now, this is pure speculation because I can't see it, so You might be "righter" than me.  ;D

WDH

So, we will call this the "Speed Theory of Nail Damage on a Sawblade"?
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Warren

Kinda like Brad said, if you hit enough of them, you will recognize the sound.  Was sawing a good sized sycamore on Saturday and found where someone had nailed ladder steps up one side of it for a tree stand many years ago.  Maybe it is experience. Maybe it is because I am half deaf to normal frequencies.  But I have no trouble hearing the blade hit a nail.

After zinging the second blade and a good check over with the metal detector, I decided to salvage the opposite side of the tree and scrap the ladder side of the tree.  Good demonstration of tension for my hired man ! :D
LT40SHD42, Case 1845C,  Baker Edger ...  And still not near enough time in the day ...

Swede

After I´ve hit nails I use to offer the customer the same number and size of new as a compensation.
He still has to pay me SEK 125 for sharpening the blade. ;D Isn´t the nailmarket wonderful?

Swede.
Had a mobile band sawmill, All hydraulics  for logs 30\"x19´, remote control. (sold it 2009-04-13)
Monkey Blades.Sold them too)
Jonsered 535/15\". Just cut firewood now.

ladylake

Polebarn nails and lag screws really hurt. So how do we all get those nails out?  I drill all around them with about a 1/4" bit in a cordless drill, grab them with a vice grips. Works good on most of them.   Steve
Timberking B20  18000  hours +  Case75xt grapple + forks+8" snow bucket + dirt bucket   770 Oliver   Lots(too many) of chainsaws, Like the Echo saws and the Stihl and Husky     W5  Case loader   1  trailers  Wright sharpener     Suffolk  setter Volvo MCT125c skid loader

ohsoloco

Hmmm, good idea.  Sounds better than all that chiseling I usually do  ;)

Notice the missing piece on the eye.  That hurt  :(

jackpine

Had a customers 24" x 10ft. white pine log yesterday that had 11 nails and 1 screw. After an hour and a half of metal detecting, chopping,chipping,chiseling and cussing I had removed 10 nails and one screw. Notice I said 11 nails in log and 10 removed >:(
I missed one >:( Found it with the band. Not a very profitable Sunday morning sawing,but I did get to hear that Zing.

solidwoods

If you hit a nail, mark the blade so the sharpen shop will know.
Also if you have a fresh good running blade and hit an easy nail (perpendicular, quick cut, small nail) you can try removing the metal curl from the teeth and run the blade.
Or do your edging with it .
jim
Ret. US Army
Kasco II B Band mill
Woodworking since 83
I mill & kiln dry lumber, build custom furniture, artworks, flooring, etc.
If you mill, you'll be interested in some of my work in one way or another.
We ship from our showroom.
N. Central TN.

Thank You Sponsors!