iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

forwarder broke down, HELP!

Started by jackpine, May 06, 2007, 09:48:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jackpine

A friend was running my Tree Farmer C4D this afternoon when he said the rear end locked up. Not a gradual thing but a sudden lockup, so quick it threw him forward off the seat.

He pulled the covers off the final drives and they appear alright so I am looking for ideas on what the next logical place to look might be. It will be a couple of days before I can get to where it is to see it in person but if anyone has some ideas it will give me something to think about in the meantime.

Thanks in advance. Bill

sawguy21

Has a brake return failed? Can he jack it up and turn the drive wheels?
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

beenthere

Can't be much help Bill. But sure hope it is not somethin too serious. Frustrating when ya gotta hear it from someone else who was drivin it.
Best o luck to ya.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Sawyerfortyish

Hope your luck is better than mine. When something like this happens to me it's always in 3-4 feet of mud or a steep hill. Does your forwarder have a posi rear? If not jack up one side take the driveshaft off if possible and spin the wheel. If it has posi rears jack up both sides and spin the tires  if the tires won't spin. It may be in the rear. Try pulling the axles out of the planetary hubs if they come out you should be able to move or tow the machine out to a place where it can be worked on. I wish you luck I hate break down like this.

Reddog

I had a Clark 669 do that. It had lost the oil in the dif, and gailed up. The dif was toast, had to be totally rebuilt.

Ed_K

When you take the driveshaft out,mark the shaft so you don't get it out of time.I didn't do this on my skidder transfer case and it cost me a weeks worth of time and $$$.
Ed K

jackpine

The latest developments in this sorry mess.

Pulled the rear axles and disconnected the rear drive shaft at the output of the transfer case figuring at least I could drive it over to my property with the front pulling. Made it less than a mile when the front end started to go >:( I couldn't go forward but could back up a little so got it off the road at least. Next step will be dothe same to the front as the rear so at least it can be pulled.Once I have it on my own property I can then decide where to go from there. I suspect that the transfer case is also going bad, if that is the case I'm probably going to cut my losses and look at parting it out.

I will keep you posted, but this will not immediate as my custom sawing work takes priority.

Bill

Ed_K

Jackpine, the transfer cases aren't that bad to work on.I rebuilt mine and didn't even take it out of the machine.
Ed K

Thank You Sponsors!