iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

What's an edgebander?

Started by oakiemac, May 02, 2007, 10:52:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

oakiemac

Been looking through some machinery auctions and I see a lot of edgebanders for sale. I have no idea what one is but they must be awful nice machines to have because most of them cost $40K or better.

For that price it ought to give you a back massage, that is after it is done edgebanding your wood.
Mobile Demension sawmill, Bobcat 873 loader, 3 dry kilns and a long "to do" list.

Fla._Deadheader

Might be a glue-installer of Veneer edging on Particle board sheets. They take strips of Veneer and feed it onto the glued edges all in one step. It's hot glue, the one that I saw working.

Probably do Plastic Laminate too ???
All truth passes through three stages:
   First, it is ridiculed;
   Second, it is violently opposed; and
   Third, it is accepted as self-evident.

-- Arthur Schopenhauer (1788-1860)

getoverit

Ive got one I'll sell for a lot less than $40k :D
I'm a lumberjack and I'm ok, I work all night and sleep all day

Gilman

Harold is correct.

The $40,000 versions edge & trim and are about 15' long.  Pretty big machines.  New spools of banding for them are about 4' diameter.

Part of the cost is the extruter for the hot melt adhesive.
WM LT70, WM 40 Super, WM  '89 40HD
Cat throwing champion 1996, 1997, 1999. (retired)

low_48

You can also get end trim and buffing stations for using PVC edgebanding. The buffing station polishes off the scallops left by the rotary cutters. You don't have to touch the stock by hand when it comes out of these things. Some will put on 3 mm strips of solid hardwood as well. They are incredible machines for production.

treecyclers

I have two on hand that I'll sell for a LOT less than $40K.
An edge bander puts on the side edge on panels, mostly melamine, using a veneer tape that matches the panels as desired. The two I have use a heat gun to liquefy the hot melt adhesive on the tape, which is then pressed onto the edge of the panel, and cut to length.
They're neat machines if you have the need, and the production levels to pay for them.
Superdave
I wake up in the morning, and hear the trees calling for me...come make us into lumber!

oakiemac

OK thanks for the responses. I am no longer ignorant on edge banders. ;D
Mobile Demension sawmill, Bobcat 873 loader, 3 dry kilns and a long "to do" list.

Thank You Sponsors!