iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Narrow profile chains on high power saws

Started by joe_indi, May 02, 2007, 10:01:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

joe_indi

What would be the risksinvolved  if I run these on a MS 460
Rollomatic ES 1.3mm 18" bar running a Picco Micro chain with a 8teeth rim sprocket.
I have just tried it and its Fast!!
Really puts a full chisel chain to shame.
But, if anyone has tried it earlier, what would the risks involved, or the negative factors for this combination.
I had to reset the carb since the saw was being under loaded with this combination.

SawTroll

Are your sprockets standard 3/8" hardware?

If so, they are probably not a perfect fit for the Picco chain, even though the pitch is the same.

If they are the Logosol stuff, you should probably be OK, except for an added risk of chain breakage.........
Information collector.

Tony_T

I run that chain ground to 5 degrees on my 066 for milling with 16 and 24 in. bars.  The saw does have a special sprocket for the picco chain from logosol.  I have snapped one chain (of many that just wore out from re-sharpening) but that was when a vibration set up in a piece I was milling. Otherwise no problems, have ran the chains right down to where the cutters were wore out.

I'm still not certain why you need the picco sprocket, would be nice to be able to run a rim and just replace that when needed instead of paying big bucks for a new spur  :-[

Have never used this chain for crosscuts though.

Thank You Sponsors!