iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Green Lumber Prices.?.?.?.

Started by dad2nine, May 02, 2007, 09:32:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dad2nine

Ok guys - I've been told by several folks that my hardwood green lumber prices are too low.

Just kinda wondering what the going rates are for the following.

Soft Maple
R and WO
BW
Poplar
Ash
ERC

I don't want to feel like I'm too low or too high - sometimes I get the impression that folks think there is something wrong with the lumber if it's priced too low and I loose sales.

What's your thoughts...

Thanks

SAW MILLER

Show me your prices and I'll tell you if they are too low ;D
LT 40 woodmizer..Massey ferg.240 walker gyp and a canthook

dad2nine

Flat sawn Black Walnut $1.50
Flat sawn Wild Black Cherry $2.50
Quarter Sawn White Oak $1.50
Quarter Sawn Red Oak $1.50
Flat sawn White Oak $1.00
Flat sawn Red Oak $1.00
Flat sawn Eastern Red Cedar $1.05
Flat sawn Soft Maple $1.30
Flat sawn Poplar .90
Flat sawn Sweet Gum $.75
Flat sawn Ash $1.00

SAW MILLER

Man,You are real close to what I charge for good mill run.I would be a few cents higher on quarter sawn oak and a few cents lower on poplar but I am charging about the same for most of it.

SAW MILLER

Also ,I can't hardly get 2.oo for cherry around here green off the mill.

WDH

The walnut price seem a little low (maybe that is because I adore walnut), but the rest seem very reasonable to me, but I am no expert.
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

oakiemac

What's the grade????

You can't even begin to comment on prices unless you tell the grade of the lumber. If it is mill run then they might be fair. If upper grades, then you are selling way too cheap. Also depends on amounts-truck load quanities or a few board feet?
Mobile Demension sawmill, Bobcat 873 loader, 3 dry kilns and a long "to do" list.

dad2nine

It's run of the mill - whatever the log produces. I cull out anything that's questionable or is #2 and below.  ;D It's for a few 100 BF orders. I don't have the time or ambition to cut bigger orders right now.

Ron Wenrich

You should be separating your grade.  What happens is someone comes in and picks the best out of your piles and gets good wood cheap.  Then you have a pile of overpriced wood you can't move.

Prices are dependent on grade and thickness.  I'm getting $2/bf for 8/4 walnut that is log run and sold by the trailerload.  White oak prices are much higher than red oak prices.  F1F 4/4 white oak is now at $1.40, wholesale.  Red oak is at $.85.  Tulip poplar uppers are only getting about $.75, and soft maple uppers are around $1.10.  These are wholesale prices and right off the saw.

We saw the good stuff off the sides and get rid of the hearts as ties and blocking.  You may be able to saw it into dimension stock or you may be able to sell at a lower price.  Flooring stock is running about $.50 for mixed oak.  When you get to lower grades of ash, maple, etc, you have a rough time moving it, since the quality isn't what a typical woodworker can use.  You have to know what your markets can bear.
Never under estimate the power of stupid people in large groups.

Larry

Quote from: dad2nine on May 02, 2007, 10:31:42 PM
It's run of the mill - whatever the log produces. I cull out anything that's questionable or is #2 and below.  ;D

When you cull out 2c and below it is no longer mill run...and your prices are to low...at least on the species I know about.

Larry, making useful and beautiful things out of the most environmental friendly material on the planet.

We need to insure our customers understand the importance of our craft.

Homer

Hello; Are you buying logs, getting free logs or felling your own trees?  Homer

Norm

If your seperating anything out other than a boxed heart your prices are too low especially on the q-sawn oaks. I used to try the same thing but the customers would pick out the better grades and still want the log run price.

I have very few folks that will buy dead green off the mill, even when they do I worry they'll screw up drying it and then blame the sawyer for the poor quality. I'll send stickers and instructions if they are rookies at drying.

dad2nine

Ok it's looking like my pricing is too low on a few species. I want to be fair (not too high and not too low) Here's my thoughts on mill run #1 or better BF pricing. I'm not to concerned about grade other than if the lumber is questionable I cull it.

Flat sawn Black Walnut $2.00
Flat sawn Wild Black Cherry $2.50
Quarter Sawn White Oak $1.75
Quarter Sawn Red Oak $1.50
Flat sawn White Oak $1.25
Flat sawn Red Oak $1.00
Flat sawn Eastern Red Cedar $1.25
Flat sawn Soft Maple $1.30
Flat sawn Poplar $.95
Flat sawn Ash $1.10
Quarter Sawn Sycamore $1.60

I decided to do away with gum and replace it with QS Sycamore, I've sold very little gum and I lot more QS Sycamore.

What's your thoughts - Thanks

inspectorwoody

Hopefully the following will help out...

These reflect the 4/4 market and per M' and flat sawn. They are also based on market conditons for the first part of April. Obviously the market can change in a month but for the most part you don't see too big of a change. No updated information has been passed on to me so I would assume things are still holding steady.

R.Oak
FAS 945 Sel 925 1com 630 2A 500 3A 350

W.Oak
FAS 1070 Sel 1050 1com 610 2A 400 3A 300

Ash FAS 600 Sel 590 1com 440 2A 315

S.Maple (Unselected for color...Sap only will bring better money)
FAS 1185 Sel 1165 1com 750 2A 380 2B 220

Walnut
FAS 2100 1F 2000 1com 1235 2A 905

Cherry
FAS 2350 1F 2340 1com 1335 2A 655 3A 400

7x9x8 are averaging 20.00/piece

Cants 4x4,4x6 335

dad2nine

Inspector, Thanks for the info - I assume these are wholesale prices? I think I'll take the avg of FAS ~ #1 and see where I'm at. I'm not selling wholesale so I think I could be a little bit higher if it comes out that way.

Thanks

Ron Wenrich

Why not sell your FAS for FAS prices plus and your 1 Com for 1 Com plus.  Don't try to mix everything into one class, especially if you let the public pick through it.  Go to the box stores and see what happens to those 2x4s that no one wants.  All were originally the same price.   ;)

You should be able to get a premium because it is a small lot.  Those prices quoted are for green prices, FOB mill, and quite often are for carload lots - 20 Mbf.  They are also just a guideline.  Wholesale buyers don't have to buy every grade or pay that price. 
Never under estimate the power of stupid people in large groups.

Justin L

A markup should be added for smaller qtys because you will spend more time with someone picking six boards than it took to saw them. And they take the best ones first like others have said.

I would use your 1000' pricing for 1000' orders.
If they take 100' non sorted add 50%
If they pick & choose double the 1000' price.

I sell KD FAS Walnut for $6.61 (surfaced)for less than 50' so $4.20 for green is still a good savings.

I like to be fair, but I'm trying to be fair to myself too :)
I know you believe you understand what you think I said, but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant! :)

inspectorwoody

Good Points made by Justin and Ron  ;)

I know some guys set a minimum. Say $50 plus the cost of the lumber. Most people come in and want 100% clear lumber etc. and will take up an hour of your time digging through the pack.

Least your getting something for your time when you could be cutting more stock or doing other productive things.

dad2nine

Well selling by grade might be ok, if I had stacks to sort through. All the lumber we have is in the logs, we don't stock any pre-cut lumber. When a customer orders X we stick the logs needed and get as close as possible to the BF and saw the lumber out of the logs. Otherwords we don't open up a log, till the lumber from that log is sold. If a log does not work out for whatever reason, it either goes in the pallet pile or the firewood pile. I think boards store real well in the log, just like logs store real well on the stump. ;D

Cedarman

For ERC
100' and over  $1.10
50 to 99          $1.35
less than 50     $1.60
Very little ingrown, no rot or seams, some wane ok.  Sapwood no defect.
I am in the pink when sawing cedar.

Thank You Sponsors!