iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Update on shop (** MORE **PICS)

Started by brdmkr, May 02, 2007, 08:57:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

brdmkr

I thought I would post some pics showing the shop progress.  I put the boards on the gable ends over the weekend and installed door yesterday.  It is coming together 8) 8)

Here is a shot of the western wall.  It will have 2 windows installed once I get them framed-up.

Here is a shot showing my free  8) door.  This wall will also have 2 windows installed.

Finally, here is the eastern wall.  I have a really cool door installed there :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

Seriously, I plan on building a double barn door hung on heavy black hinges for this door.  The 'temp door' is just there so I can lock things up.

I know that the shop has lots of stain and some mold.  I hope to bleach the mold, spray for PPB and then treat with some sort of clear sealant.  My wife really likes the mottled look.  Guess that is why she married me ;D

In all honesty, I kind of like the staining too.  It looks rustic :) :)

I still have to build and hang the 'big doors', install the windows, put up my soffit, install the battens on the gable ends, and wire it.  I hope to begin wiring next as having my shop tools would be really handy for the other stuff.

You know, it may not be perfect, but I have really enjoyed taking this thing from tree to building!

Lucas 618  Mahindra 4110, FEL and pallet forks, some cant hooks, and a dose of want-to

Brad_S.

Looks great!  8)
I agree, there is a huge amount of satisfaction when you create something that started with a tree and ended with a finished product.
"Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans." J. Lennon

Fla._Deadheader

Looks just fine to me. Ya did a really nice job.
All truth passes through three stages:
   First, it is ridiculed;
   Second, it is violently opposed; and
   Third, it is accepted as self-evident.

-- Arthur Schopenhauer (1788-1860)

DanG

Wow!  That looks super, Mike! 8) 8)  I like the "denim" look, too.  Ya oughta squirt some bleach water on it today, then get some sealant on this weekend since the weather is so dry.  Once it starts raining it might be hard to find a good time to do it and the whole thing will turn grey.
"I don't feel like an old man.  I feel like a young man who has something wrong with him."  Dick Cavett
"Beat not thy sword into a plowshare, rather beat the sword of thine enemy into a plowshare."

tcsmpsi

I was wondering when you would get around to updating us on your shop. 

Roof looks good.  Ridge vent?

All that siding/etc., looks just as it should, under the circumstances. 

I agree with DanG.  Sooner, the better on stopping what unwanted growth you have on your siding. 

What did you make your siding with?
\\\"In the end, it is a moral question as to whether man applies what he has learned or not.\\\" - C. Jung

brdmkr

Thanks for all the compliments 8)  Of course, I only showed you the better sides and at low resolution :D :D

It will likely be this weekend before I can do any sort of treatment.  I was hoping to skip the bleach and go straight to a glycol-borate treatment as I suspect that it would also kill mold.  However, I have not had any takers on the post in the drying board.  I would rather not treat with borate, find that it did nothing to the mold, then treat with bleach (leaching my borate) and then having to treat with borate again.  Also, from what I read, the borate may actually appreciate having some recent moisture applied to the wood.

tcsmpsi, the siding is pine and I have a ridge vent on the roof.  I have one other 'construction' under my belt (a 16 x 20 shop) and I had someone roof it.  This is my first from the ground up (of course, I did have someone pour the concrete and I paid someone to help with the trusses).  It has taken nearly a year to get here, but I can honestly say it has never been a burden.  I have really enjoyed everything I've done.

I hope to pull my own wires, but I will have an electrician hook everything up.  I could likely do this myself, but I want to get the shop tools moved so I can get into the finishing.
Lucas 618  Mahindra 4110, FEL and pallet forks, some cant hooks, and a dose of want-to

Haytrader

I agree it is a fine building. One that you will use with pride for many years to come.
I am curious though as to why you didn't frame the windows in and side to them. I think it would have been a lot easier. Inquiring minds want to know

;)
Haytrader

Handy Andy

Does your new shop already have PPB's or you treating for just in case?  ANd mold?
Kind of hard to imagine mold on new boards, of course Georgia is pretty humid I suppose.  Living on the edge of the desert you don't see much mold.  Only in bathrooms where someone soaks the carpet and doesn't dry it.  Shop looks very good, hate to see you cut holes in that siding for windows.  Probably be kind of dark inside, though.
My name's Jim, I like wood.

WDH

What a fine shop, Brdmkr. 
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

sawguy21

You can come on up and build my shop anytime. :D That looks good. I am with Haytrader re the windows.
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

metalspinner

That looks just about right.  Now, break it down and ship it up here to me.  I've got the spot already picked out. :)
I do what the little voices in my wife's head tell me to do.

brdmkr

Because inquiring minds want to know....

I couldn't make up my mind how many windows I wanted, how big I wanted them, and just where I wanted them.  So, given all of these uncertainties, we began to see what kind of a deal ($$$) we could get on windows.   Given it was a royal pain in the rear to carry tools back and forth, I decided that if the shop were sided I could at least store things in the shop and lock it up.  So, we sided it with the idea that we could install the windows after we figured out what we wanted.  Also... I haven't done anything the easy way yet.  No need to start now :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D  It also provided rationale for a sawzall ;)

We wound up finding some single pain windows that had never been installed that were a steal!   However, the windows are not hung in a frame.  So, I will have to build a frame before installing them. 

The wood shows evidence on PPB (little holes, fine dust when the wood was stickered and itty bitty bugs).  The mold occured because when I cut the siding we had a rare period of wet weather that kept things pretty wet for a couple of weeks.  I really had a major 'bloom'.  It had to be weather related as lumber cut before and after did fine.  Hopefully the bleach and borate will rid me of my biological problems.

Burlkraft

Nice job brdmkr.... ;) ;) ;)

That will look even nicer with them windows.....Keep sendin' pics... ;D ;D
Why not just 1 pain free day?

thecfarm

Good job!How big is this shop?What will be kept in it and what will it be used for?Maybe you can show us a pictures with windows and nice double doors.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

brdmkr

The shop is 25 x 40.  I hope to use it exclusively for woodworking.  I will need to get power to it before I install the windows as they will require some woodworking.  My current shop is too crowded to use!

I will be sure to post more pictures as the project progresses.

DanG

Quote from: brdmkr on May 03, 2007, 09:25:36 AM
I hope to use it exclusively for woodworking. 

:D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

Dat's a good one, Mike!

::)
"I don't feel like an old man.  I feel like a young man who has something wrong with him."  Dick Cavett
"Beat not thy sword into a plowshare, rather beat the sword of thine enemy into a plowshare."

pappy

Way ta go brdmkr  8) nice size ta boot too, ya can plane, rip and joint  a 16 footer without having to open windows and doors  ;D

A BIG mistake I made in wiring mine was I put all the outlets a foot up off the floor, like ya would in a house  ::) wrong !!! cause in time as most wood shops ya got wood stacked every where  :o and work benchs along the wall makes it tough to access the juice... If I ever get to build our new shop I'm gonna place the outlets 48" up from the floor and install both 120 and 220 every four feet along the walls and plenty of 120's on the ceiling...

"And if we live, we shall go again, for the enchantment which falls upon those who have gone into the woodland is never broken."

"Down the Allagash."  by; Henry Withee

OneWithWood

Lookin' good, Mike.  I second the notion of putting your electrical outlets up 4' from the floor.  I did that and I installed double boxes every 8', 4' would have been better.
Keep up the good work and keep the pics coming  8)
One With Wood
LT40HDG25, Woodmizer DH4000 Kiln

WDH

I put some electrical outlets on the floor with metal plates to plug in the table saw, jointer, bandsaw, etc. without having to run cords all over the place. 
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Dodgy Loner

Nice lookin' shop, brdmkr!  8) 8) 8)  Much easier on the eyes than the shop that I'm currently claiming as my own (it's my dad's  :-\) 

I think it'd be a good idea to put some electrical outlets on the floor where you plan to have big equipment--I'm trippin' over cords all the time as it is.
"There is hardly anything in the world that some man cannot make a little worse and sell a little cheaper, and the people who consider price only are this man's lawful prey." -John Ruskin

Any idiot can write a woodworking blog. Here's mine.

brdmkr

It's a little late for outlets on the floor.  However, the 4' height is a go as is the idea of having outlets on every other stud.  I'll have several 220 outlets (3 -4 on each wall) as well.    My electrician friend even suggested having a few outlets in the ceiling!  I hope to install some homemade air cleaners (at least 2) between the trusses, so having an outlet or two up top won't be an issue.

DanG..... I resemble that remark!

tcsmpsi

Quote from: brdmkr on May 02, 2007, 11:40:54 PM
Because inquiring minds want to know....

It also provided rationale for a sawzall ;)

From what I can see (and very much appreciate), you will have just about enough work for the sawzall on that project, to find reasonable disapproval for future use.   :D

Running your electrical, having plenty of recepticles is GOOD.  Don't short yourself on the amount or amperage of circuits to feed them.   Even more important than the recepticles themselves.

Whichever system you decide to use (circuit breakers), get plenty extra for future replacement.  Design/business change is not unusual in the circuit breaker industry.

\\\"In the end, it is a moral question as to whether man applies what he has learned or not.\\\" - C. Jung

brdmkr

When we had the power folks come out to determine what sort of service we need, they recommended 600 amps.  400 for the house and 200 for the shop.  Most everybody I ahve talked to thought that was overkill, but for the cost of materials it really doesn't make that much difference and I think I will have plenty of room to expand.  So, I should be able to handle the amps.

tcsmpsi

It's not overkill.    ;)

slowzuki

400 amps for the house????? It must be electric heat.  200 amps in the shop, I can see that, you can run about 50 hp continuously off a 200 amp entrance and about 64 hp intermitantly.

I have a 200 amp split between my apartment and shop, I can run my 10 hp electric mill at the same time the plasma cutter is dialed up to 3/4" steel and the air compressor is running while my wife has every electric appliance known to man running inside.  and there is still left over capacity.

Thank You Sponsors!