iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Divin

Started by Handy Andy, May 02, 2007, 06:33:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Handy Andy

I'm gittin ready to go to Coz May 23.  Bin readin posts from KevJay and FDH and
there must be several divers on this forum.  Here in Kansas is no place to dive.  Have to go to Mo or Ar, or out of the country.  Coz is bout the cheapest place to go I have found.  And the water there is wonderful. Our first trip was to Jamaica, and they had
free lessons, so I tried it an thought it was the best thing ever,  so now I get the fever once in a while.  Costa Rica looks really cool, but read somewhere the divin isn't that great there.  Is that true?  Looks like a blast to go down and find some logs just waiting for somebody to find them.  Like treasure huntin.  Jim
My name's Jim, I like wood.

Fla._Deadheader

Scuba Diving IS a lot of fun. It's also a LOT of work, luggin the equipment around.

I'm not anywhere near the "Touristy" section of Costa Rica, so, I'm not up to speed on Diving, fishing, Water Sports, etc. Near me is Lake Arenal. It's a flooded valley with Old Arenal being submerged, and, I'm sure, lots of trees.

Coastal CR, on the Pacific side, has a "Stepped" bottom, meaning you go out, away from the beach, and the bottom drops off like steps. Pretty mundane I hear ???

My interest would be looking for very old ships. They carried "Treasure" of all sorts. Finding logs is always nice. However, I'm more of a "Realist". If ya can't take posession, why bother looking ???  Kinda like people that go "gaa-gaa' over diving modern wrecks that are in the oceans. If I wanted to see a modern ship, just go to a salvage yard  ::) ::)

I first got into diving to hunt Lobsters and really, to start searching for Spanish Shipwrecks. Did all that, and then went to logs. I hear Honduras had massive log jams, and some real pretty wood comes out of Honduras.

If ya don't mind Crocs, Snakes, MUDDY water, and Bandito's, THAT might be something to think about.

My interest here, other than wood, is ORO, Gold. Lots of it, if'n ya know how to go about it. Got a buddy with a 10" suction Dredge, and we have a 4" suction dredge. I also have 7 Metal Detectors, 4 especially for gold and silver. 2 I can dive with  ;) ;)

Have fun, enjoy yer trip, and keep BOTH eyes open. Ya never know what yer gonna get, Forrest  ::) ;D 8)
All truth passes through three stages:
   First, it is ridiculed;
   Second, it is violently opposed; and
   Third, it is accepted as self-evident.

-- Arthur Schopenhauer (1788-1860)

Raider Bill

I've been diving since I was about 13. Was a Instructor but let my insurance lapse a few years ago. Ran a dive boat charter for 5 years here in Fl.
I've tried it in Costa Rica but found it less than fullfilling. Water was murky, currants a bit too brisk.
The gear IS heavy but becomes weightless in the water.
Spearfishing is my pleasure but the waters here are almost fished out at least for the big boys. To dive off the Fl. Gulf coast you have to go out 15-30 miles in order to find and decent fish and get any depth. Visability has deterorated as each year passes.
That said, if you have any desire then do it, take the resort course to get a feel to see if it is for you then if you do like it get fully certified. It sure is a rewarding and enjoyable sport.
Watch out for the up sell on equiptment. Buy your own snokel gear, [mask fins snorkel], rent the rest so you don't have to lug it on the plane or trips. If you live neatr a dive area and plan on diving a lot then buy but it will be a major investment. there is a lot of gear forgotten in closets after the thrill wears off.
The govermint has been sinking retired navy ships off the coast including air craft carriers. Dropping down on a flight deck will give you a thrill that can't be beat!
Be careful and good hunting
The First 70 years of childhood is always the hardest.

Handy Andy

I already have my AOW, wow FLDH, that oro sounds like fun to look for.  Have you had some luck?  The trouble with going to resort areas is you have to go out with a divemaster on their boat, and just sightsee.  Sounds like you have figured out how to really have fun. Did you ever find a Spanish wreck?  Jim

Fla._Deadheader

Never found one outright, but, worked a few over the years.  My son found a gold bar on one this past year.  They are smashed and scattered, so, a whole wreck is near impossible to find. You find scatter and try to Trail it to the main pile.

I haven't had a LOT of time here to look.  Went to Alaska a few years back, and found 4 ounces with two different detectors. Water was WAAAy too cold to get into.  ::) :D :D
   First, it is ridiculed;

limbrat

I dont know about now but Penecamp out of Key largo was nice it use to be the only underwater national park in the continental U.S.  I seen it with 150' visibility but that was so long ago that i was certified with N.A.S.D.S.. Use to love beach diving or snorkeling for lobster, saw them migraging once.
ben

Carries-Mom

I never got much of a chance to go out divin' with my dad and brother, but I did work at Mel Fisher's Treasure museum in the Conservation Lab for a few years.  I got to draw, in exact detail, a lot of the treasures that other people found.  It was very exciting drawing and cataloging gold jewelry, rigging and other things from the 1715 spanish shipwrecks.   A lot of hard work to find the stuff, but you gotta figure out where to look... :o

Handy Andy

FLDH, when I was a kid I had dreams of adventures and gold, seems like you are livin my dream.  Hope you're havin fun. Jim

Fla._Deadheader

People keep wantin me to grow up.  WHY  ??? ??? ??? ??? ??? ??? ???
   First, it is ridiculed;

Thank You Sponsors!