The Forestry Forum is sponsored in part by:

TimberKing Sawmills

Toll Free 1-800-582-0470

LogRite Tools

Forest Products Industry Insurance

Norwood Industries Inc.

Sawmill & Woodlot Magazine

Your source for Portable Sawmills, Edgers, Resaws, Sharpeners, Setters, Bandsaw Blades and Sawmill Parts

EZ Boardwalk Sawmills. More Saw For Less Money!

STIHLDealers.com sponsored by Northeast STIHL

Woodland Sawmills

Peterson Swingmills

KASCO SharpTech WoodMaxx Blades

Turbosawmill

Sawmill Exchange

BRUTE FORCE Authorized Dealer

Woodshax Outdoor Vending Solutions

FARMA

Council Tool

Baker Products

Forestry Forum Tool Box

Author Topic: Why is cottonwood ignored?  (Read 14503 times)

Offline fuzzybear

Re: Why is cottonwood ignored?
« Reply #20 on: June 06, 2007, 10:01:28 am »
Up here in the north we call cottonwood "the widow maker".  When you are dropping these trees they may seem very sound and then the last 20' will snap off before your finished with the back cut.  This is usually when the trees are over 12" at the but. They rot so very easy. 
We usually just push them over with a cat and use it for firewood.
I never met a tree I didn't like!!

Offline tsodak

• I'm new!
« Reply #21 on: June 06, 2007, 11:09:11 am »
It is intersting to here the talk about the tops of trees falling off during felling. Here on the plains the trees are exposed to so much wind standing all alone getting beaten upon that the ride to the ground during felling is prbably the softest force they have been exposed to in years.

It is a dangerous activity, I agree. I have the scars to prove it. But i would have no qualms about our prairie trees when I walk up to one. More likely lightning will stirke...

Tom

Offline SwampDonkey

• Forester
  • Large Tooth
« Reply #22 on: June 06, 2007, 02:04:11 pm »
I wouldn't want to be working under old growth aspen with those wide spreading laterals above the rest of the tree canopy. When they start to tip, and one of them half rotten limbs snag a neighboring tree, you want to be out of there. From discussions on the forum there are a few neighbors to our south that have run into the same situation. Not to be taken lightly.  ;)

There are some pictures in the "So how big you want'm" thread. A lot of those big upward swept branches in those photos have since fallen to the ground in the last couple years.

Pre-commercial thinning pays off. :)

'If she wants to play lumberjack, she's going to have to learn to handle her end of the log.'
Dirty Harry

Offline TexasTimbers

• In Memoriam
    • Dovetail Spline Jig
« Reply #23 on: June 06, 2007, 02:16:42 pm »
Up here in the north we call cottonwood "the widow maker". When you are dropping these trees they may seem very sound and then the last 20' will snap off before your finished with the back cut. This is usually when the trees are over 12" at the but. They rot so very easy.
We usually just push them over with a cat and use it for firewood.

Thanks for posting this. I am always looking up most of the time I cut anyway but still this is a good information, especially if Cottonwood has a tendency to fall apart like that more than other species. Since I last posted this I have been given another very large one in the same city I cut the coons out of that rotten pecan. Haven
't been to look at it yet. Hope it ain't got no critters in it we're full up here. ::)
The oil is all in Texas, but the dipsticks are in D.C.

Offline jrokusek

• DIY Bandmill
« Reply #24 on: June 06, 2007, 03:16:56 pm »
It is intersting to here the talk about the tops of trees falling off during felling. Here on the plains the trees are exposed to so much wind standing all alone getting beaten upon that the ride to the ground during felling is prbably the softest force they have been exposed to in years.

It is a dangerous activity, I agree. I have the scars to prove it. But i would have no qualms about our prairie trees when I walk up to one. More likely lightning will stirke...
Tom

Hey - I finally found someone local!  Well, kind of anyway. At least we're in the same state. 

........... one of them half rotten limbs snag a neighboring tree, you want to be out of there...............

You mean you got more than one tree growing in the same place?!?   :D   At least it's easy to drop a tree around here since many of them won't hit anything no matter which way they fall.   ;)

Offline TexasTimbers

• In Memoriam
    • Dovetail Spline Jig
« Reply #25 on: June 06, 2007, 03:22:27 pm »
Hey we got two South Dakotans! I heard there is actually a couple of trees there somewhere. A tree for each of ya! ;D
The oil is all in Texas, but the dipsticks are in D.C.

Offline Don P

• Senior Member x2
    • Calculator Index
« Reply #26 on: June 06, 2007, 08:11:07 pm »
Depends on where kevjay, I've worked in a million acre woods there  ;D

Offline jrokusek

• DIY Bandmill
« Reply #27 on: June 06, 2007, 10:13:40 pm »
Guess that explains where all the trees went!   :D

Offline LeeB

• Senior Member x2
  • proud to be a TEXAN in Arkansas
« Reply #28 on: June 07, 2007, 04:01:03 pm »
Is two trees considered a "woods" :D :D
'98 LT40HDD/Lombardini, Case 580L, Cat D4C, Ford 851 tractor, JD 3032 tractor, Husky 346, 372 and 562XP's. Stihl MS180 and MS361, 1998 and 2006 3/4 Ton and 2005 1 ton Dodge 5.9 Cummins 4x4's, 1989 Dodge D100 w/ 318, and a 1966 Chevy C60 w/ dump bed.