iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

need help with whisper chipper

Started by Porta mill, May 01, 2007, 09:58:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Porta mill

I am looking for someone  who has a repair or matainance manual for a old whisper chipper 1979, 300 six motor . just purchased it to help clean up property i just purchased . the previous owner  had the property and the logged. The logger left all the tops laying all over the place ,what a big mess. anyway the chipper I purchased runs well but I cannot get the cluch to disengage totally , on start up the drum is turning. Any help would be appricated

Furby

Jeff

Leaving tops isn't generally a mess other then in the eyes of the beholder, its usually a beneficial component for the new forest and its wildlife.
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

Dave Shepard

Would chipping the tops back into the woods be beneficial? Seems it would offer more surface area for the saprophytes.

Dave
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

thecfarm

I would forgo the chipping part and just cut up the tops into small pieces,3-4 feet long.I realize things are done differant where you are.The tops are suppose to be left to help out the regen.Around here living the tops whole looks bad and can give the logger a bad name in my eyes.I just cut up whatever I don't haul out into 3-4 foot pieces and it will rot rather quickly.All that I have is a tractor,so I need it to rot into the ground so I can drive through it in a few years without damaging my tractor.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Fla._Deadheader

To answer yer question, sounds like the clutch disc has rusted to the flywheel on the engine. Running small pieces of wood through the chipper, with the clutch lever DIS-engaged, might loosen it up.Shouldn't take much. Slipping it under load, a LITTLE will clean up the faces and it should work fine. Mostly agree with the chipping part. Use the bigger stuff for faar wood and let the rest rot down, naturally.

You should see new growth starting among those tops. That's your next crop of trees.
All truth passes through three stages:
   First, it is ridiculed;
   Second, it is violently opposed; and
   Third, it is accepted as self-evident.

-- Arthur Schopenhauer (1788-1860)

maple flats

I think FDH hit it right on the head. That would be my guess too. I also agree with leaving the tops for the most part, but it might be smarter to limb them not so much for appearance but for less fire risk. Laying on the ground they give physical protection to the tender saplings starting up and with the limbs in contact with the ground they return to the earth much faster returning nutrients back to the ground and erosion control as well. With lots of limbs sticking up if there is a lightning strike or a man made fire this makes it a real good ladder for fire to get up to the standing trees and a full scaled forest fire.
logging small time for years but just learning how,  2012 36 HP Mahindra tractor, 3point log arch, 8000# class excavator, lifts 2500# and sets logs on mill precisely where needed, Woodland Mills HM130Max , maple syrup a hobby that consumes my time. looking to learn blacksmithing.

Thank You Sponsors!