iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Kiln Chamber - chicken or the egg

Started by OneWithWood, March 15, 2003, 05:45:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

OneWithWood

I am laying out the plans for my saw barn.  I intend to build my kiln chamber into the barn so that I can load at one end and unload at the other and still be within the building.  The building will be 72 x 28 with the chamber occupying a space of 18.5 x 12.5 with the north long wall centered and being common with the building north exterior wall.  The building will be built using green aspen and poplar with sassafrass siding and set on treated lumber sills on concrete.  
I would like to mill all the lumber for the kiln and the building.  Now that I have a mill I can't seem to get myself to go to the lumber yard for much of anything :)
I have a dilemma that I am hoping the experienced folk here can help me with.
I want to build the kiln chamber using green wood - can't dry any unitl I have the chamber built.  I can leave the outer wall surface of the chamber open to allow the studs to dry over time for the walls within the building but I am not sure what to do with the wall that is the long wall of the chamber and also a part of the exterior wall of the building.  If I enclose it totally I fear I will have moisture problems and greater movement of the studs via shrinkage with a potential for rot.  If I leave the exterior exposed it will be subject to rain.
Should I leave the exterior section of the wall unsheathed and exposed to the elements?  
Should I bite the bullet and build the kiln chamber out of store bought wood? ???
What problems would having a section of dried lumber in a wall constructed of green lumber create?
BTW the kiln is a Nyle 200.
Thanks in advance for your suggeestions.
One With Wood
LT40HDG25, Woodmizer DH4000 Kiln

beenthere

What is normal for kiln wall construction? studs and plywood? Insulation? Seems it would be pretty damp in there at the beginning of the loads, with the walls getting damp until the later stages of the drying process, at which time the walls will dry out same as the wood.
The green boards will shrink in width, so will leave cracks between the boards if nailed on green. The studs may shrink (thickness and width) but will not shrink in length. May get some crook that will cause the wall to be crooked but can repair and straighten those if one side is left exposed.
If so, what about putting up the studs, with plastic covering just to run the kiln while drying the wall boards. Probably not real efficient, but should get warm enough and allow enough air movement to dry the "kiln" wood. Plastic will also keep the rain off the wall before the wall boards go up. Just a thought.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

WyMan

Just a thought from my side of the world.  I deal almost exclusively in dead standing timber and reclaimed wood.  If you used either of these, you would have no shrinkage problems.  So, tear down a building or saw a few dead standing trees?
Just a thought from a freed modern slave.

Oregon_Sawyer

One of the best kiln chamberes I have seen in a small operation is a used overseas container.  This one is a stainless steel 40 ft container that had a refrigeration unit on it, so it already had insulation built in.  They put tracks in the bottom so their lumber carts can be rolled in.  They use hot water running into coils mounted on the walls with fans  to circulate the heat.  The water is heated with a wood furnace burning scrap from the mill.  I am sure there is more to it but, that is all I know.

Oh, they are drying Oregon White Oak for flooring.

Sawing with a WM since 98. LT 70 42hp Kubota walk behind. 518 Skidder. Ramey Log Loader. Serious part-timer. Western Red Cedar and Doug Fir.  Teamster Truck Driver 4 days a week.

WyMan

Loren,

I would like to see that chamber.  A friend of mine made his kiln out of a regular 40 ft semi trailer.  He uses propane to fire it and has a track into it.  Seems to do a pretty good job.  The only thing I thought would be good would take the axles out from under it and make it lower for access.

By the way, how are the walking legs ;)

Dale
Just a thought from a freed modern slave.

Larry

OneWithWood,
I am thinking about adding a Nyle L-200 this fall or next spring.  I have emailed Nyle with all kind of dumb questions and Tripp Lewis from Nyle has always had a quick and accurate response.  Try bouncing your question off of Nyle and see what you get.  Either Don or Tripp will give you a fast reply and are very friendly folks.
Larry
Larry, making useful and beautiful things out of the most environmental friendly material on the planet.

We need to insure our customers understand the importance of our craft.

Oregon_Sawyer

wyman:

I'll take you over to the mill that has the kiln.  It is on the ground (no axles).

Are you coming over for the log home show at the end of the month.  

I'll be ready for you to pick up my mill ;D

The legs are just fine.  I have had my son-in-law helping on Saturdays.  I'll bet his butt was dragging Sunday morning. 8)

Sawing with a WM since 98. LT 70 42hp Kubota walk behind. 518 Skidder. Ramey Log Loader. Serious part-timer. Western Red Cedar and Doug Fir.  Teamster Truck Driver 4 days a week.

Thank You Sponsors!