iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Track Adjuster on a Case 450

Started by Qweaver, April 29, 2007, 09:16:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Qweaver

Well, just what I didn't need...The right hand track adjuster on the 450 blew a seal and I'll have to pull it down today.  One of the cover bolts on the inside is rounded off (had to be the inside one of course) and I'll have to crawl  underneath to try to get it out somehow.  I hate to grind it off because then I just have to weld a nut back on after I get the cover off.  I'm going to try a pipe wrench/vice grips/heat/etc. before I grind it off but if it's as tight as the outside bolts...I don't like my chances.  I've never had one of these apart, so I don't know what I'll see when I get the cover off.  I'm not going to attempt this until this afternoon, so if anyone can give me a clue about how to repair the adjuster...I'd be grateful!
BTW, I don't enjoy crawling under stuff near as much at 62 than I did when I was 22. :D
Quinton
So Many Toys...So Little Time  WM LT28 , 15 trailers, Case 450 Dozer, John Deere 110 TLB, Peterson WPF 10",  AIM Grapple, Kubota 2501 :D

Norm

I don't know if it's possible Qweaver but can you grind the rounded egdes flat on two sides to get a wrench on it?

Not sure how big of a nut it is but we'll cut a slot down the middle to get a big flat head screwdriver with a wrench on it also.

scsmith42

Quinton, are those hydraulic (grease gun) track adjusters on your Case?  On my JD550B there are two different zerks  on the adjuster rod - one to perform the actual "adjustment" that is located near the front idler wheel, and another one further back for putting grease in to keep the moisture and dirt out of the shaft.

The latter one is supposed to spit out grease, and although it may look like a blown seal it's actually supposed to look that way.

If your tracks are keeping tension, you might not want to delve into it.  If they are losing tension, you may need to replace the adjusting rod also as they usually get pitted and lose seal.

At any rate, if you go into it you will need to relieve all of the tension on the track and get it slackened up before taking it apart.  On some machines you will need to break the track in order to allow the front idler to roll far enough forward to get the track adjuster apart. 

Scott
Peterson 10" WPF with 65' of track
Smith - Gallagher dedicated slabber
Tom's 3638D Baker band mill
and a mix of log handling heavy equipment.

Qweaver

Yep Scott, the Case has two fittings also.  I was listening to two long time dozer operators that had not used a Case 450.  When I looked at the exploded view of the track adjuster it was obvious that the grease was going into the wrong place.  When we put grease into the right place it worked fine.  Thanks for the heads-up.  Gotta get a manual. ::)
Quinton
So Many Toys...So Little Time  WM LT28 , 15 trailers, Case 450 Dozer, John Deere 110 TLB, Peterson WPF 10",  AIM Grapple, Kubota 2501 :D

scsmith42

Glad that you figured it out before you tore into it - that job can be a real chore...

SS
Peterson 10" WPF with 65' of track
Smith - Gallagher dedicated slabber
Tom's 3638D Baker band mill
and a mix of log handling heavy equipment.

Thank You Sponsors!