iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Borates and mold

Started by brdmkr, April 27, 2007, 08:55:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

brdmkr

I just about have all of the siding on my shop 8)  I have some powder post beatles >:( and plan on mixing up a batch of the borate solution (using a glycol sovent) to spray on everything once all of the siding is up.  I also have some mold issues ::).  I would like to deal with that too before I apply a finish.  I was planning on using a bleach solution and then following in a week or so with the borate.  However, I began to wonder if the borate solution might not also work on mold.  Does anyone know if the glycol-based formulation of the borate mix will kill mold?  Or, should I just plan on treating with bleach and then borate?
Lucas 618  Mahindra 4110, FEL and pallet forks, some cant hooks, and a dose of want-to

jim king

brdmkr :

Here in the Amazon we use borax for two things.  Number 1 is we treat the water that the insecticides and mold retardants are mixed with to make it less acidic and the chemicals work better.
Number 2 everyone thinks it helps with the mold and insects also.  As we need it anyway to sweeten the water I never questioned the other aspects of using it until your post.

I put in    borax "wood treatment" and these poped up and there is a lot more.

http://www.borax.com/borates2g.html
Borate treated wood is on the rise as a safe and long-lasting method to protect homes from wood destroying organisms. There are several types of borate wood preservatives used to treat solid wood, engineered wood composites and other interior building products like studs, plywood, joists and rafters.
Borate treated wood has been used successfully for more than 50 years in New Zealand, for a decade in Hawaii - specifically to combat the voracious and highly destructive Formosan subterranean termite - and increasingly throughout the mainland United States. Borates prevent fungal decay and are deadly to termites, carpenter ants and roaches - but safe for people, pets and the environment. Borates interfere with termites' metabolic pathways when ingested through feeding or grooming, effectively killing them. Surviving termites avoid the protected wood products.

http://www.greenbuilder.com/sourcebook/WoodTreatment.html
Borate pressure-treated wood is being offered by one company in the U.S. (primarily for the Caribbean market). They are promoting the concept of using borates for all the wood in a house. This eliminates the need for termite protection by any other means and prevents decay fungi.

http://www.austinenergy.com/Energy%20Efficiency/Programs/Green%20Building/Sourcebook/woodTreatment.htm
According to the American Wood Preservers Institute (AWPI), the North American building industry uses approximately 3.8 billion board feet of preservative treated lumber per year. Wood treatment refers to protecting wood from damage caused by insects, moisture and decay, and fungi. In wood-framed walls, treated wood is used as the base plate in contact with a concrete slab. Treated wood is also used in outdoor applications where the wood will be exposed to harsh conditions. These applications include decks, walkways, and direct ground contact. At present, there is not an environmentally sound method for disposal of treated wood. Every effort should be made to minimize the use of treated wood by using alternate materials or designing alternative details.

brdmkr

I have been doing a little research as well.  I know that borates work well for bugs, but I am not so sure if they work as well on mold.  It seems that there may be some effect on mold, but I can't really find anything that explicitly suggests borates for mold.  I was just wondering if anyone here had tried borates and noticed an impact on mold.
Lucas 618  Mahindra 4110, FEL and pallet forks, some cant hooks, and a dose of want-to

Nudgewood

The reason you can't find any data is because borates leach out so they're only used in dry conditions, where there's no mold growing anyhow. Zinc sulphate and zinc phosphate both kill mold at 1:50 solution with water and adding a little salt (NaCl) increases the efficiency for some fungal sp. Copper sulphate works even better but leaves that blue-green stain typical of pressure treated CCA or suchlike.

%<
Sumpin always depends on Sumpin.

Ironwood

Brdmkr,

Just watch the ethylene glycol may effect finish adherence later. I know it might for other furniture finishes but unsure of what your planning. Check out the Solubor and Glycol thread as well. Guess you have, You intiated it! Duhhhhhhhhhhhh.

Reid
There is no scarcity of opportunity to make a living at what you love to do, there is only scarcity of resolve to make it happen.- Wayne Dyer

brdmkr

Quote from: Ironwood (Reid Crosby) on May 11, 2007, 08:53:07 AM
Brdmkr,

Just watch the ethylene glycol may effect finish adherence later. I know it might for other furniture finishes but unsure of what your planning. Check out the Solubor and Glycol thread as well. Guess you have, You intiated it! Duhhhhhhhhhhhh.

Reid

Reid,

Don't feel bad.  I can't tell you the number of times I have done a search only to find (and read) a thread that I started!

Mike

Thank You Sponsors!