iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

tappin' ash

Started by redpowerd, March 14, 2003, 09:14:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

redpowerd

any a u cats enjoy some ash syrup?
a tad more tangyr'n birch.
tis tappin season, n, shoot, i done cut all that maple crap fer my floor.
NO FARMERS -- NO FOOD
northern adirondak yankee farmer

Tom

Not down here, redpowered.  We don't drill trees, we squeeze cane, and that's all over with till next fall.

redpowerd

cane, hmmm, how do you like yer coffie?
NO FARMERS -- NO FOOD

Tom

right outa the pot!

We raise cane all summer and raze cane all winter!

redpowerd

u mean the perk-o-later!
NO FARMERS -- NO FOOD

Tom

J Beyer

Is Ash syrup for real?  Besides, after tasting REAL Maple syrup I'll never go back to anything less.  That is, unless the cheap stuff is all I can get at the time for my pancakes.
"From my cold, dead, hands you dirty Liberals"

RavioliKid

Are you serious about Ash syrup? I've never heard of it.

???
RavioliKid

Ron Wenrich

I've never heard of ash syrup, but I imagine you can get syrup from any type of tree.  Sycamore is one, but you need about twice as much sap to get the same amount of syprup as sugar maple.  But, ash never seemed like that much of a sap producer.

How much sap do you need to get a gallon of ash syrup?
Never under estimate the power of stupid people in large groups.

Minnesota_boy

I know where there are a bunch of pines you could tap.  I want to be there when you get your first taste of the syrup it makes. ;D
I eat a high-fiber diet.  Lots of sawdust!

Tom

camphor........now that would be a trip. :D

biziedizie

Wish I knew how to tap a tree! It sounds like fun, is it easy to do? Besides a bucket what else would I need? Can someone give me a run down on how it's all done?
    Thanks!

Steve

Ron Wenrich

biziedizie

Great link Ron with some great links on the page. I would like to try this someday and see what happens!

Steve

Mark M

I once made "maple" syrup from potatoes. If I remember correctly I cut up about 6 medium sized potatoes and covered them with water. Cooked them just like kidneys (boil the pith out of them). Kept adding a little water until they disintegrated and then strained out the mush. Continued cooking down the juice until it was thick then added a little brown sugar (I think). It was really good and tasted very similar to maple syrup.

Mark

Frank_Pender

I planted some Sugar Maple here about 5 years ago. They are at about 4" in diam. right now.  Sure have pretty leaves in the Fall.  How much longer do I have to wait to  get enough to cover  a short stack? ???  I'll have a couple of eggs over wlell with thick sliced bacon too, please. 8)
Frank Pender

Bro. Noble

Mark,

I really hesitate to make this reply-------I don't think I've ever met a potato that I didn,t like----but,

I hope you don't take offense at this because I enjoy your posts extremely and would hate to discourage you----but

I ain't using no recipes from someone that cooks innards. :o

Noble
milking and logging and sawing and milking

MrMoo

Red,
You mentioned birch sap. What kind of birch tree do you tap for sap/syrup?

We have lots of black birch. The sap smells like sasspirilla.

Never tapped them though.

Crofter

We tapped a yellow birch for the heck of it when we were sugaring. It made a pleasant drink, a bit wintergreen tasting but not as sweet as a maples sap. I have heard that it takes closer to 75 to one reduction to get syrup as opposed to the 45 to one boildown with hard maple. Don't know about that ash syrup though, it might be a son of a beech to swallow!

Frank

Frank

Jeff

Welcome crofter, I see yer goona fit in real well. Now if we can teach the rest of these guys how to tell their ash from their pophole...
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

Ron Wenrich

I"ve heard you can make an alcoholic birch beer from sweet or black birch.  Saw it in a Ewell Gibbons book.

I don't know about watching potatoes boil like that.  I'd get a little board boiling the pith out of them.

MrMoo

Crofter and Ron,
Thanks for the input on tapping birch. I figure at some point we'll try this as we have so many birch trees. Besides the big ones we have lots of small ones that seem to grow like a 15-20 foot weed. I suppose I should thin em out.

MrMoo

I had asked question on this topic about tapping birch trees.

Well I was reading the March 19th Weekly Market Bulletin put out by the NH Farm Bureau last night & there was an article about tapping birch.

It looks like this is becoming a cottage industry in Alaska.

Anyway they said it takes about 100 gallons of sap to make 1 gallon of syrup. It sounded like the flavor is very interesting also less sweet.
They said any birch tree can be tapped although most tap black birch.

Same rules apply as maple you want a 10" dia. tree and every 5" dia after that can allow another tap.

Mike

sherwood

As a kid I tapped and boiled down sap from Box Elder,not too  bad, sweet and different than Maple.
Pain in life is mandatory. Suffering is optional.

redpowerd

i just threw out "ash syrup" that day cause it was warm, and the ash logs sittin next to the barn were runnin and smellin sweet, so i gave her a lick. very tasty. all winter long i throw young branches off the logs into the goat pen, and they browse it right down. 14" birch trees can be tapped with success. the flavor is very robust, unlike maple in any respect.
id like to try the booze rather than the syrup. :D
NO FARMERS -- NO FOOD

Thank You Sponsors!