iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Parbuckling winch

Started by Nate Surveyor, April 26, 2007, 02:04:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Nate Surveyor

OK, I now have a nice 8 hole rim, double axle trailer.

And it has rails on the sides, made from 2" schedule 40 steel pipe.

And I want to add a 12v winch to it, to parbuckle. One item I have thot of is to make the winch to hang off the side, so that I can use longer ramps. (length of ramps cannot exceed distance across trailer, so extend the across trailer distance)

I will add a marine battery to the front of the trailer, to supply power, and hook up the battery to my truck battery for charging.

I don't want a super slow winch. I want it to free wheel, for faster unwind.

My questions are:

1.) How big of a winch do I need? (I expect to load 6000 lb logs occasionally)
2.) What kind of winch is popular and reliable?

Any kind of help or advice will be appreciated.

I am new to this.

Nate
I know less than I used to.

Dan_Shade

put the winch up front, use a snatch block to direct the cable pull, this will allow you to load left or right.

it doesn't take much of a winch to parbuckle a log, you can move pretty big logs with boat winches....

one thing that is a very good idea is to make a "V" with a chain so that as the log rolls up the ramp, you are supporting the ends of the log to keep it moving steadily up the ramp, instead of having one end slide down.

as far as a winch, I say go hydraulic, or go home ;)
Woodmizer LT40HDG25 / Stihl 066 alaskan
lots of dull bands and chains

There's a fine line between turning firewood into beautiful things and beautiful things into firewood.

Nate Surveyor

I have placed sockets all over the trailer, to place a 4" dia stem, with the winch on top. This way, I can winch from all over.

I kind of like the idea of using a snatch block to adjust the direction of pull.

N
I know less than I used to.

stumpy

I agree with Dan Shade.  I have a similar setup and I welded a reciever to the front of my trailer.  I also added a front hitch to my truck.  I made a long cable out of welding cable with quick connects on both ends.  Now I can use the winch on the front or back of my truck as well as on the trailer for loading things.  I wired the cable directly to the battery and run the engine while winching.  Been doing this for 3 years and have never had a battery problem.  I also welded a reciever on my Tractor that I use for skidding logs.  It comes in handy sometimes.  As for the winch, it's a Warn 9500# .  If I were to do it over, and wanted to spend the money, I'd buy their industrial winch.  Not only is it made for more continuous duty, their warrenty will cover it for this application. 
Woodmizer LT30, NHL785 skidsteer, IH 444 tractor

metalspinner

I've got a HF 8,000lb 12v winch on the tongue of my trailer, and use the snatch block to parbuckle logs up the side.  I would have to say that this winch is just barely enough to get the job done.  It overheats just as I reach the capacity of the tralier.  If I need the winch to move logs around a bit prior to loading just forget about loading the trailer for awhile.  >:(
I usually never load but one big log (30"), or 3-4 normal (14"-20") sized logs.  My next winch will be hydraulic for sure.
I do what the little voices in my wife's head tell me to do.

pineywoods

re--hydraulic winches    These things are EXPENSIVE. Cheeper way, get a winch intended for pto drive, 2 sprockets and some roller chain to connect to a hydraulic motor. I have one mounted on the 3 point hitch on my tractor, runs off the tractor hydraulics. Bunches cheaper, works real well.
1995 Wood Mizer LT 40, Liquid cooled kawasaki,homebuilt hydraulics. Homebuilt solar dry kiln.  Woodmaster 718 planner, Kubota M4700 with homemade forks and winch, stihl  028, 029, Ms390
100k bd ft club.Charter member of The Grumpy old Men

sawmilllawyer

Mounted a 10,000lb HF winch (bought extended warranty) on the front of my 16' dove tail (was'nt built w/ a dove tail, bent frame, got it that way from prior owner). Using a dual cycle battery from Wally World and can load trailer two or three times with logs before battery starts to pull down. It has been pretty good set up for me. Usually just drag logs onto trailer with a short piece of 2x6 as a ramp on the end of trailer. Did parbuckle a 30" log last week using a long logging chain w/ a loop on each end of the log. The log loaded easirer than expected and the winch did'nt seem to be straining at all. 
Stihl MS-361, MS-460 mag, Poulan 2150, 2375 Wildthing.

rebocardo

> What kind of winch is popular and reliable?

For 4x4 people, Warn. The cheaper ones (example HF or Chicago) use perm. magnet motors instead of a wound motor and the Warns use a planetary gear set instead of a worm drive or shaft with gears that will not hold the load with power removed.

Dan_Shade

a worm gear will hold a load when the power is removed better than a planetary gear.  worm gears are super slow most of the time, and typically state "worm gear" or something like that in their literature.

as with most things, with a winch, you get what you pay for.  :)

Woodmizer LT40HDG25 / Stihl 066 alaskan
lots of dull bands and chains

There's a fine line between turning firewood into beautiful things and beautiful things into firewood.

Furby

Quote from: Nate Surveyor on April 26, 2007, 02:04:39 PM
And I want to add a 12v winch to it, to parbuckle. One item I have thot of is to make the winch to hang off the side, so that I can use longer ramps. (length of ramps cannot exceed distance across trailer, so extend the across trailer distance)

smiley_headscratch smiley_headscratch
Can you explain that one to me ???
I do it all the time.

I've got an el cheapo MVF with 30k of rolling load/2600 pounds line pull.
It has a VERY short duty cycle so I use the hand crank 90% of the time and it has a manual clutch so I can adjust things as I go or lock it down if needed. Works for me!

theorm

Where did the DanG term "parbuckling" come from? Sounds like a bend golf club...

Theo
The essence of loyalty is reciprocity.

DanG

Well, Theo, according to Mr. Webster's fine collection of words, a parbuckle is, " a device consisting of a doubled rope, the middle of which is attached at a given height and the ends passed around a cylindrical object which may then be raised or lowered by hauling in or paying out the rope ends."

There is even a picture of it in my dictionary. 8) ;)
"I don't feel like an old man.  I feel like a young man who has something wrong with him."  Dick Cavett
"Beat not thy sword into a plowshare, rather beat the sword of thine enemy into a plowshare."

theorm

DanG,

Thanks, haven't heard that term before.

Still in training,

Theo :P
The essence of loyalty is reciprocity.

DanG

Me too, Theo.  I didn't know it was in the dictionary until you asked the question.  I think it was Tom who introduced the term to us a couple of years ago.  We had been doing it, but didn't know what to call it.
"I don't feel like an old man.  I feel like a young man who has something wrong with him."  Dick Cavett
"Beat not thy sword into a plowshare, rather beat the sword of thine enemy into a plowshare."

DanG

Well, I was wrong.  It was Tom who described the process, but Frank Pender was the one who knew what it was called.  Of course, as a high school English teacher, he misspelled it, though. :D :D  (I ain't sure, but did I just misspell "misspelled"?)  Anyway, here's the thread where it happened. :)

https://forestryforum.com/board/index.php?topic=482.0

pineywoods

Well, that explains the parbuckle bit. I'd never heard the term, but been familiar with the technique all my life. Around here it is called cross-hauling. People even have a special chain to use instead of a cable. It's called (what else) a cross-haul. Most of the time there was a mule or old 8N ford on the business end rather than a winch
1995 Wood Mizer LT 40, Liquid cooled kawasaki,homebuilt hydraulics. Homebuilt solar dry kiln.  Woodmaster 718 planner, Kubota M4700 with homemade forks and winch, stihl  028, 029, Ms390
100k bd ft club.Charter member of The Grumpy old Men

maple flats

If memory serves me I believe parbuckeling was an old sailor's term for how they moved heavy loads that were round onto the ship. I think they had a rope winch that was man powered to work it.
logging small time for years but just learning how,  2012 36 HP Mahindra tractor, 3point log arch, 8000# class excavator, lifts 2500# and sets logs on mill precisely where needed, Woodland Mills HM130Max , maple syrup a hobby that consumes my time. looking to learn blacksmithing.

Ironwood

I know Warn makes a commercial oil bath worm geared 8000# winch. I have an older version of this. Yes, it does heat up when you run it continuosly. It has a free wheeling mode as well for playing out all the cable. I also have a 9000# and 12000# Ramsey electrics that I have not yet built frames for, oh yeah, and several other hydrualic ones as well that need the sprockets and chains spoken of earlier. Check your local scrap yard, alot of times if the guys are smart those things (old PTO style ones) get set aside from old trucks.  You need to find the scrap yard where the good "ole boys" hang out, not the corporate ones.

Reid
There is no scarcity of opportunity to make a living at what you love to do, there is only scarcity of resolve to make it happen.- Wayne Dyer

Thank You Sponsors!