Whatzit? I don't know!

Started by Dave Shepard, April 25, 2007, 03:52:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dave Shepard

I hope someone else does.

Open.

Closed.

Dave
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

beenthere

Can't tell the size for sure, but my guess is a spike puller (maybe on the railroad if its as big as I think it is).  What's the overall length?
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Dave Shepard

Sorry, I didn't put a reference in the pic. It's about 16" long. The two edges that come together, the greyish parts on the right, are sharp. I think they might be for tail docking or something. Don't really know. ;D

Dave
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

DanG

I'm sure they have a name, but I don't know what it might be. ???  Appears to be a pair of nippers designed to cut on the side, rather than "end on".  I can see where it might be easier on a farrier's back to trim hooves with less bending of the back.
"I don't feel like an old man.  I feel like a young man who has something wrong with him."  Dick Cavett
"Beat not thy sword into a plowshare, rather beat the sword of thine enemy into a plowshare."

Gary_C

It is a castrator. This is a description from a Nasco Catalog. The new ones look just like a wide jawed end nipper where the over center clamp does the work.  I have a pair of the new style if you would a demo.  ;D

Medium, 14" Standard Emasculatome Castrator - Item Details:
These are precision-made instruments for the humane and bloodless castration of livestock by severing the testicular cord without injury to the bag (scrotum). There is no bloodshed, and therefore no loss due to blood poisoning, flies, or screwworms. Slipping of the cord is prevented by the patented cord stops. Complete atrophy of the testicles follows in about six weeks. The animal does not suffer and no special attention or treatment is required. High-quality steel, precision fitted, nickel-plated, with cord stops. Comprehensive, illustrated instruction booklet included. For docking lamb's tails, use either small or large instrument. Cut off tail inside the closed jaws. Crush of pincers will reduce bleeding. For calves and young bulls.

Never take life seriously. Nobody gets out alive anyway.

Burlkraft

I got a gut ache now....... ::) ::) ::)
Why not just 1 pain free day?

Gary_C

Quote from: Burlkraft on April 26, 2007, 07:54:41 AM
I got a gut ache now....... ::) ::) ::)

Ya, I thought everyone would lose interest in this thing now. I could be wrong as I've never seen one with that side crimper action before, all the new ones are end crimpers.

Guess nobody wants a demo.    ::) ::)
Never take life seriously. Nobody gets out alive anyway.

Dave Shepard

I had thought that might be what ther are, but the edges are sharp, and wouldn't work the way a bloodless castrator works. We have a "bardizzo" clamp (no idea how to spell it, that is the phonetical spelling), and the edges are rounded. It looks like it says "B A BULLOCK, Flint Mich." on them. I'll do some research.

Dave

treebucker

Gary_C,
All the bull/calf clamps I've seen had jaws that were 2-4" across. Those don't look wide enough. Where they refer to their model having "Slipping of the cord is prevented by the patented cord stops. " I just don't see anything about the jaw design preventing slippage. The models I've used had shoulders on one jaw that wrapped around the ends other jaw and kept the cord from rolling out of the jaws.

My dad claimed they were so precise that you could clamp 3 layers of cigarette papers in there and the center one would get cut in two but the outside two layers would remain intact.

All this talk about Castration is making me double over. Who started this?  ???
Last night I lay in bed looking up at the stars in the sky and
I thought to myself, "Where the heck is the ceiling?!" - Anon

Thank You Sponsors!