iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Who's got freeze damage and how bad

Started by treebucker, April 24, 2007, 01:17:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

treebucker

I've never seen a spring where the trees turned brown before. I makes me wonder if some species are going to recover. The hickories, some types of oak and a few of the walnut trees really look bad. The shoots and leaves on the hickories are now black.

How bad did it hit your area?  Any opinions on recovery?
Last night I lay in bed looking up at the stars in the sky and
I thought to myself, "Where the heck is the ceiling?!" - Anon

Tom

It's absolutely beautiful here.  The pines are deep dark green and the Oaks a little lighter.  The Gums and much of the understory are varying shades of lime, but the grass is slow to come back.

But then, we got a lot of fans and blew most of that cold back up to Georgia along about Easter.

Larry

About the same in much of Missouri, Kansas, and Arkansas.  The oaks are just now starting to show a little sign of life.  According to the smart people we will not have a acorn crop this year.  Gonna make it hard on wildlife that depend on acorns for there winter food...especially in the Ozarks.

All the fruit crops are finished off...a lot of the vineyards have said besides losing a grape crop the vines were killed off.

I don't think north Missouri walnuts were hurt because there late bloomers anyhow.  Time will tell.
Larry, making useful and beautiful things out of the most environmental friendly material on the planet.

We need to insure our customers understand the importance of our craft.

Jim_Wahl

Our red raspberries got singed so bad I don't know if they will ever recover.
The black raspberries didn't even notice the freezing weather, however.
1997 Peterson 9" WPF since 1998
2004 Baker 3667D since 2014
Cooks Catclaw sharpener and setter

I am from Iowa, but I seem fine.

Lanier_Lurker

I've got some hickories that look rough.  The ones that had not already begun leafing out are in pretty good shape, as are those that had fully leafed out and the leaves were not so tender when the 3 nights of hard freezes (4/6 - 4/8) hit.  All young and tender leaves are now black.

Ditto for the yellow poplar.  For a over a week now my house has been pelted with unopened yellow poplar blooms that were frozen off.  The DanG things just won't stop falling.

My oaks seem to have handled it a little better - except for my 2 scarlet oaks for which the timing of the freezes was bad.

All the maples seem unaffected.

I think my lone large sassafras tree took a beating, although the sassafras saplings seem to be doing fine.

The beeches took a serious hit as well.  I'm really worried about some of them.  Several of them have an alarming number of brown leaves (which are not left over from last year).

The sweetgums were only mildly affected, but there are a few blackened leaves here and there.

I cannot tell about the sourwoods yet, but they have not started leafing.  Maybe they are later than the other trees.

treebucker

Quote from: Larry on April 24, 2007, 03:24:54 PM
According to the smart people we will not have a acorn crop this year.  Gonna make it hard on wildlife that depend on acorns for there winter food...especially in the Ozarks.

Time will tell.

We had ~2 weeks of warm days and nights before it hit. Everyting was greening up except some of the late comers. I'm wondering about the oaks. Some produce every other year and some produce every year. Those on the 2-year cycle carry their young acorns through the winter. I'm wondering if they broke dormacy and lost their winter hardiness before it hit? It's easy to predict that the hickories nuts aint gonna happen this year. The hickory trees look dead. Some walnut trees had started to green up and got zapped. It even killed or damaged all the cold crops in my garden!

Tony

As has been said, the hickories (pecans ) look really bad and the persimmons   
are burnt pretty good  :o :o :o    but, of some concern around here the freeze got the                       
                                             poke salat  :o :o :o :o 

Tony          8)

TK1600, John Deere 4600 W\frontendloader, Woodmaster718 planer\moulder, Stihl MS461 Stihl 036 & 021 & Echo CS-370
"You cannot invade the mainland United States.  There would be a rifle behind each blade of grass."  Adm. Isoroku Yamamotto ( Japanese

Don P

It burned the poplar leaves but new ones are out now. Christmas trees seem to have made it around here. They cancelled the cherry festival and lost the early apples, the rest are starting to bloom and some cherries made it. The garden is getting another go.

semologger

all of our trees around here was already big and green. but then the freeze not no more every thing looks like fall. well it is all the trees are having to drop what they did have and start over again looks really bad. ive heard our acorn crop is going to be bad. ow well food plots look good for me you dont have to go searching for the deer this way. easy pickin.  digin_2

a peach orchard has already claimed 100% crop lose.

ill be glad when it is green again it make me feal alot better.

semo
southeast mo

Lanier_Lurker

My lone persimmon tree seems ok.  It had not gotten started yet when the freezes hit.

Including the list from my first post, that only leaves the birches and the dogwoods - and they all seem ok.

To be sure, these were the latest and most damaging freezes I have ever seen.  I thought I had seen it all with the blizzard of 93 happening on March 15, but for plants this was much worse.

theorm

Freeze???????? What is a DanG freeze? It is so hot here we have to import ice cubes from Michigan!! Maybe that would give Jeff B something to do with his mill. What kind of blades do you use for frozen logs made with 100% moisture?

Next thing ya know, you guys will modify a leaf blower-rototiller hybrid to move snow around!!

Theo :D
The essence of loyalty is reciprocity.

isawlogs

Hope your trees come out of this Ok . Mine here still have the roots frozen ..  ::)
A man does not always grow wise as he grows old , but he always grows old as he grows wise .

Marcel

SAW MILLER

I sawed a few more slats for our local orchard to make crates.he now has made 550 crates but told me there would be nothing to put in them.lost all the peach and apple crop.
LT 40 woodmizer..Massey ferg.240 walker gyp and a canthook

Handy Andy

Here in Kansas they say there will be no fruit.  Maybe a little in the orchards where they ran sprinklers.  The alfalfa was near to cutting and it turned brown, the wheat is yellow looking, the crop tour said 100 to 30% damage.  Drove by a field last week that was still green, the other 2 fields adjoining were yellow looking.  The trees look terrible, just like the crops.  Today I see a few trees popping out a little green.  Jim
My name's Jim, I like wood.

Tom_in_Mo.

sounds like a heck of a year..
* hay crop really down
* no fruit
* but plenty of deer meat to eat.

I had a heck of a hay crop coming on. Spent some change on the fertilizer though and then it hit. Clover hit hard along with the orchard grass. Fescue is brown about 1/2 down. I wish it had kill that dang multi-flowal rose.
I seen someone mentioned polk is gone. I wonder if it will go ahead and gone on. I sure hope so, for I like to take some fresh polk along with a can of spinach and cook it together and cook a pot of white beans, fried potatoes and some of that good ole Ice tea. Don't forget a big ole valdalia onion....... ;D

treebucker

Quote from: Tom_in_Mo. on April 25, 2007, 12:47:39 PM
sounds like a heck of a year..
* hay crop really down
* no fruit
* but plenty of deer meat to eat.

I had a heck of a hay crop coming on. Spent some change on the fertilizer though and then it hit. Clover hit hard along with the orchard grass. Fescue is brown about 1/2 down. I wish it had kill that dang multi-flowal rose.
I seen someone mentioned polk is gone. I wonder if it will go ahead and gone on. I sure hope so, for I like to take some fresh polk along with a can of spinach and cook it together and cook a pot of white beans, fried potatoes and some of that good ole Ice tea. Don't forget a big ole valdalia onion....... ;D
I wouldn't worry about that polk. Ever seen their roots?

I think "multi-flowal rose" ought to be a cuss (curse) word. >:(  :D  And just think, it's not native.  :o I 've heard the story of why it was imported...I still don't see the wisdom in it.  ???  But I did see a few that were wilted due to the freeze. :)

I didn't look at the red clover but the alfalfa here got scorched.

sawguy21

I had never heard of polk until the song "Polk Salad Annie, gators got yer granny chomp chomp". :D Is this another of those fine southern dishes us deprived northerners are missing out on  ???
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

treebucker

Don't want to highjack a thread I started but...
(Another thread turns to food.) Polk/Pokeweed grows from Texas to Florida and up to New England, as well as in parts of South and Central America and in parts of SE Asia. It is also naturalized in England. It is used by some to make poke/polk salit/salad as found here: THE WILD VEGETARIAN COOKBOOK

Tom_in_Mo.

sorry about that treebucker, I guess food is a big weakness of mine. I will try to refrain from talking about food......... I quit drinking quiet awhile ago and now I have  quit smoking cigs. so what else is there? 

speaking about that rose, I spray every year and birds just keep spreading it, but you just have to keep spraying for if you give up, then look out.

semologger

hey tom how it look there. trees are starting to come out again. your not that far away from me but always seems a little colder there. i meet a couple from your way tonight their names were asberry. younger in age around there twentys. seemed to be nice folks. she sells real estate in PB

Tom_in_Mo.

Hi Semologger,
The man's name  is Brian and can't think of his wife's name. I know them both. Nice young couple. I like it when I see kids that had some rough times in their childhood and come out and make something of themselves because they have a WANT to.
Matter of fact, Brian worked here before I came to work in 97. I seen her picture in the P.B. Sunday Paper this past Sunday.
I notice my hay fields is beginning to look better. Trees really got hit hard also, but are slowly progressing. They will make (I hope). There is a wheat field, out west of Ellington that really has a yellow tint. I figure that it is done for.

As soon as the rains are over with, I will start planting my garden. I have to go to the Maine show next week, so I imagine I will start as soon as I get back.

fuzzybear

every thing here is finally starting to thawout. Another week and the river should break. The trees here are used to -60c, but we only got to -55 and that was only for about 3 days. 
In about 3 weeks we will start river salvage. We tie off the big trees that were washed into the river and formed "dams" . We then haul them by boat to the landing and away they go to the mill. This will only last about 3 days.
I never met a tree I didn't like!!

Thank You Sponsors!