iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Always wanted a sawmill of your own? Well here's your chance!

Started by HSV, April 24, 2007, 02:17:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

HSV

In my short time as a member of the Forestry Forum, I have read many stories written by dreamers - people who want a sawmill, but for some reason or another don't have one.  Sometimes it's a money factor, sometimes it's just not the right time in their lives. 

Well, I think everyone should have at least a chance to get what they want, so I asked the Peterson CEO's for a free Skillmill to give away....

they said YES!

So, we are running a competition for Forestry Forum Members ONLY! 
The prize, a brand new Skillmill!
  Mill value - $3,900 USD.
  8)

Before everyone gets too excited, there is one rule that we must stick to.  This competition is for those who don't currently own a sawmill.  We want to give you a chance to learn more about milling, to learn some of the benefits that so many others talk about here on the Forum... Petersons and the Forestry Forum are 'paying it forward'. 

The competition begins with the posting of this message and entries must be posted (details to follow) by 12pm, 16 May 2007.

The winner will be drawn at the Forestry Forum Booth (#106) at Sawlex, 12pm (noon) 18 May 2007.  The winner will be drawn by Jeff and Tammy (FF), and Chris and Kerris (Petersons).

It sounds too easy huh?  Well there is a little something you have to do to be in to win.

1.   Tell us a little about yourself.  What is your background?  Do you have woodchips in your blood?  Have you used a sawmill before - if so, what kind and in what application?

2.   Click here to take a look at the Skillmill website if you haven't already.  This is the mill you may be winning.  What features appeal to you the most?  Do you have any suggestions on how we could improve the mill? 

3.   Finally, tell us what you would use it for if you won?  Do you have trees on your property?  Do you make furniture etc?

Post your story in this thread for all to read, and you are in the drawing.

That's it.  Pretty easy really. 

We are aware that some people can write long intriguing pieces, and others sum things up in a couple of sentences.  We are looking for emotion rather than writing and grammar skills.  Make us all laugh or cry with four sentences, and you've got as much of a chance as someone who writes four paragraphs!!

Once your stories are posted, they will be judged by the staff here at Petersons.  The stories will be printed and passed around not only the ones sitting on our butts in the offices, but the guys out in the factory as well.  The top 10 stories (we're hoping for hundreds!) will then be given to Jeff and Tammy, and Chris and Kerris to draw from a hat at Sawlex (anyone bringing their cowhide brimmed cowboy hat for us to borrow?).  Speaking of hats, Jeff is going to throw in a Forestry Forum Cap to the winner, so you can mill in style!!  Thanks Jeff :-)

So I really look forward to hearing your stories and I know everyone else here is pretty excited to be running a competition like this, so ask me if you have any questions, ask the wife to type for you (if you're a one finger typist like 'Husband' haha), get out of the shadows (if you're a lurker) and have fun telling us about you!  Good luck.

P.S - If you don't win, don't worry.  We will be selling the demo Skillmill from Sawlex at a discounted price.

Here's the boring stuff (that you really should read).

Terms and Conditions of entry:
1.  Children 16 years and under are not permitted to enter. 2. Petersons Global Sales Ltd reserves the right to collect and use information and comments given by participants for advertising purposes.  3. Competition runs from now, until 12pm, 16 May 2007.  4. Top ten stories will be in the drawing, and one winner will be notified by mail and within this thread unless present at the draw which will be at 12pm (Noon), 18 May 2007 at Booth #106 (Forestry Forum), Sawlex, SC.  5. The prize is not redeemable for cash.  6. The winner takes the prize entirely at his/her own risk and indemnifies Petersons Global Sales Ltd or associated companies in respect of any claim for any accident, injury, or property damage that may occur in connection with the operation of this prize. 7.  The winner must read the Operating and Safety Manual before using the mill for the first time.  8. The prize will be shipped to your nearest city depot for pickup, if you would like shipping to your door (home or work), that amount will be payable by you.  9. You agree to receive periodic notifications of special offers and news. 10. Competition is open to those who don't currently own a sawmill of their own.  Those who work for sawmill owners, but don't own one themselves, are entitled to enter.  11. Employees and immediate family members of Petersons are not eligible to enter (BigTrev, that means you too!!). ;D

Burlkraft

Wow..That is awesome...... ;) ;) ;)

You guy's are going above and beyond............

Thanks to everyone at Peterson...... ;D ;D ;D
Why not just 1 pain free day?

metalspinner

Wow! :o  Do I get a bonus entry for being the first eligible entry? :D

It all started about 7 years ago.  I was a new stay at home dad and needed to fill the house with all sorts of useful stuff like changing tables and picture frames.  Wood is very expensive off the shelf, so only small projects were affordable.

Suddenly, my neighbor started growing logs in his yard.  The rate of growth was incredible.  One day I drove the lawn tractor down the street for a quick introduction and a looky see.  He was using funny language like "board foot" and "ring porous".

A couple of weeks later a Woodmizer showed up.  I watched in awe as all that expensive lumber was pulled out of those logs.  By the end of the week, my new best friend had a nice pile of wood in all sorts of flavors.  I was standing close by when the bill was handed over and the check was written.  "What!?!," I exclaimed,  "All that wood only cost you $XXX!?!"

Well, I was on a mission now.  Every chainsaw screeming in the distance was investigated.  (They still are).  And quite a collection of logs had started growing in my own yard.  My wife started wondering what in the world was going on out there.  "Don't worry, honey," I said.  "I'm saving us money." ;D  All I got from her was... ::)

To date, I have collected well over 12,000BF of logs and lumber from all over Knox and Blount counties.

I would have to say at least 20% of the population has been in one of my log moving parades - top speed of 15mph in some cases.  My wife will not go with me on these expeditions for fear of ending up on the 6:00 news. :D

The biggest project finished so far is the complete gutting and rebuilding of the kitchen.  The cabinets were built with a large silver maple from the neighbor's yard.  My goal is to have every stick of furniture in the house built by me with lumber that I collected and dryed. 8)

Wifey just walked by and asked what I was up to.  When I mentioned the sawmill give away, a familier  ::) could be felt in the room. :D

Edit:  My favorate feature of the mill is that it is electric.  I live in the city limits and have neighbors relativly close by.  The low noise of an electric mill seems ideal.  One other great feature is the use of the Alaskan attachment.  I love slabs. 
I've been thinking all day since I read this thread how to handle big logs with this mill and get all 8" material. If slabs were produced with the Alaskan setup at 8" thick, these can then be stood on end and doublecut.  Is that the best way?  What is the widest Alaskan mill the Skillmill accepts? 

I can't wait to go to the truck depot and pick up the new Skilmill. ;D  (Positive thinking goes a long way, ya know. ;))
I do what the little voices in my wife's head tell me to do.

scsmith42

A fantastic idea - I hope that y'all receive tons of entries!

Scott
Peterson 10" WPF with 65' of track
Smith - Gallagher dedicated slabber
Tom's 3638D Baker band mill
and a mix of log handling heavy equipment.

pasbuild

WHOW  smiley_eek_dropjaw this is incredible, pretty safe to say that this will be the HOT topic for the next couple of months, great way to learn a little bit about those that enter 8) 8) the only down side is I'm not eligible  :'(  oh well I'll get over it and I will enjoy reading the entries.
If it can't be nailed or glued then screw it

Riles

Dangit. I haven't even taken delivery of my new skillmill and you're already giving 'em away!
Knowledge is good -- Faber College

HSV

Hey all :)

Well, it's 9.30am and I've just rolled outta bed!  Yeah, a bit of a sleep in.  It's a public holiday here today, it's ANZAC Day.  Australia New Zealand Army Corps.  We are remembering our fallen soldiers.

So while I'm watching a documentary on us during WWII, I thought I'd check in and see how this thread is progressing... so far so good!!!  Metalspinner - thanks for your story, very good... and I like the wife's  ::) haha.  I do have to ask though, that you complete #2 of the original competition post please.  All three items need to be answered for you to be in to win.
Thanks!

Hey Riles, I'm really pleased to hear that you have ordered a Skillmill, that's great. 
I'm sorry that this competition has timed badly for you!  When I thought of running it (on my drive home from work last week), I did think of those who had already put their orders in, or who have already received their mill.  I also remembered the time a couple of years ago, when I was working in the Electrical Department of a store and saved for months to buy this cool TV.  It wasn't even a week after my purchase, that I arrived to work in the morning and found out that the staff incentive that month was a free TV, yeah, the one I'd just bought!  So I thought that the timing is probably going to be bad for someone whenever we run this comp.  I'm really sorry that you are one of those someones! :-( 

I know lots of you on the Forum are going to miss out because you already have a mill, and I'm sorry about that.  At the same time though, I'm really pleased that we get to introduce someone to a way of life lots of you already know (or are about to know, like Riles).  It's like me with cars (if I ever win the lottery), I'm going to buy all my close buddies a brand new car because I have a passion for cars and I want to share the feeling! haha. 

I just want to say that this is fun for us.  The factory guys are looking forward to playing a part in the competition, the ones in the offices are looking forward to watching the progress, and the bosses are looking forward to drawing the winner with Jeff and Tammy.

Anyhoo, I hope y'all have a really good day. 
See ya!

beenthere

Now HSV, while you are feeling sorry for all those who can't enter, include those who mentally fill out their "story", and while doing so, think so hard on it and then get all excited about having a mill, only to not get drawn and then just have to go out and buy one......think about them too.   ;D ;D ;D

You are clever, you are.  :) :) :)

Salute to your ANZAC Day. Many sacrifices of your veterans over the years, and they can be proud.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Mr Mom

Well i will throw my hat in the ring(Not my new FF hat rings are dirty.).

Well need to add on to my house and make good strong furiture. I have been telling the wife thay i will not buy the junk from the big box store.
     Just had a new addition to the family. We need to make somemore bed rooms and a toy room I cant see the floor from all the toys in there rooms.
     I have trees on my place and the neighboor said that all the popular will come to me when i get a mill. Mostly maple and some oak. I think that i could make better lumber then i could buy.
     Never ran a mill in my life. Seen sawmills run and watched GMMills Woodmizer run.I have started to get parts to build a band sawmill.
     I dont know if i have sawdust in my blood but i have been the cind to cut firewood all day and cant to do it the next day. Love the smell of fresh saw chips if that counts.

Thanks Alot Mr Mom

Corley5

Burnt Gunpowder is the Smell Of Freedom

thecfarm

Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Part_Timer

Peterson 8" ATS.
The only place success comes before work is in the dictionary.

Don_Papenburg

I guess that if you have a frick timber tiger sitting on new concrete piers that needs a lot of work yet to make it a sawing sawmill  you can't enter ?????????????
Frick saw mill  '58   820 John Deere power. Diamond T trucks

metalspinner

Quotecomplete #2 of the original competition post please.  All three items need to be answered for you to be in to win.

HSV,
Thanks.  Got it done.
I do what the little voices in my wife's head tell me to do.

customsawyer

You have to say thanks to a company that goes that far.  8)
Two LT70s, Nyle L200 kiln, 4 head Pinheiro planer, 30" double surface Cantek planer, Lucas dedicated slabber, Slabmizer, and enough rolling stock and chainsaws to keep it all running.
www.thecustomsawyer.com

Roxie

Let me first say that this is the most incredible opportunity!  You guys are awesome to make someone's dream come true.  I hope it's mine!  Anyone that was at Sawlex 2005 and saw the far away look in Cowboy Bob's eyes as he watched the first swinger he ever saw, will know why I'm gonna try to get our name in the hat. 

I've never used a sawmill before and have only watched as others operated their mill.  I just can't watch without feeling the overwhelming desire to take a swing at it myself.  That's when I realized that I did have sawdust in my blood.  Cowboy Bob and I talked about getting a swinger all the way home from Sawlex, but the cost to get started was more than we could afford.

This baby swinger would be perfect for us to start with!  We've got a generator, so we could take it wherever we want.  We've got a nice truck and trailer for hauling.  What makes this mill perfect is that it's the Peterson we've always wanted to own!  The only way it could be improved on, is if it's in my driveway! 

We would use this mill to cut lumber for ourselves around the farm, and also to earn a bit of extra money by cutting for other folks in our area. 

Most folks here got started by taking baby steps, we would love the opportunity to take those baby steps with your first baby swinger!! 

Win or lose, THANK YOU for the opportunity that you are giving to someone!!
Say when

HSV

Hey everyone!
;D

Things are looking good on this thread!

Thanks for all of your kind words.  It's a pleasure to do this for the FF.  You have all been very kind and helpful to this company from the get go.  It's great to have the support from your side of the world! :)

I just want to respond to a couple of posts real quick.

beenthere:  ;D Thanks.  I don't think I've been called clever since the last finger painting I took home to mum.  Also, thanks for the Salute.  My Grandad lost his twin brother at El Alamein, he's buried there.  My Grandad always wanted to make it over to visit his grave, but he was too busy taking care of us bratty kids.  I'm planning to make it over there on his behalf sometime.  Too many good guys, so many bad wars. 

metalspinner:  You certainly could do what you suggest to get 8" stock (if the Alaskan cuts 8" deep - I'm thinking it goes up to 12"?).  Of course you'd need some type of clamp or EZ Dogs to hold the slab while you take it down to 8" with the Skillmill, but I'm sure it could be done.  The widest Alaskan frame the Skillmill takes is 48".  Thanks for your post :-)

Don_Papenburg: We really want to focus on people that don't already own a sawmill, sorry Don, but this is one rule we really have to stick to.   

Mr Mom: I'm wondering if you could please answer #2 of the original post about the competition so we can submit your story as an entry?  Thanks  :)

Thanks to the people who have entered so far, your stories are really good!  We're looking forward to reading more.

Well, I'd better get back to it, have a good evening  :)

sawguy21

This is neat. 8) I have been around loggers and logging a good portion of my life. I am presently in sales at a OPE dealership and am passionate about the saws and logging equipment. The other salesman sometimes gets annoyed with me :D :D
I have never run a mill but love the smell of fresh cut wood. I came to this site looking for a forestry/logging chat, got interested in the discussions on mills and just kinda stuck around. At one time in the distant past, I worked in a mill on the green chain. I have watched band mill and swing mill demonstrations and was impressed with the swinger's speed
I like the look of the Skillmill, light and portable which is important to me. At the moment, I don't have a spot for a stationary setup. I assume it runs on 240VAC. Is that 60Hz or 50Hz like Europe? Are the blades a common size here?
I would use it primarily to cut beetle killed pine which unfortunately is abundant here. I want to build a fishing camp/hiding place with rustic furniture. If I can retire in a couple of years, it will get a lot of use, I just might have to upgrade at that point.  ;D
I just watched the video again, somehow missed the part about plugging into household current the first time. ;D
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

TexasTimbers

Hey this is cool. My wife does not own a sawmill can she enter! :D
The oil is all in Texas, but the dipsticks are in D.C.

Furby

olyman

background--worked in factory till retired--repaired cars after work--and have built many things that are constructed of iron--certified welder-----have had woodburner for years--so ya--lots of chips in my blood!!! have never used a sawmill---but would like one---have plenty of trees i want to turn to lumber on my property--------------------features--i like that you wont be breathing the fumes off a engine--and i have a generator!!  doesnt look like it needs any improvement--but then have never run one!!! but have gotten literature on plenty----being retired---cost is prohibitive---i would use it to make all sorts of projects that have been in my head for a while--including sawing some large cottonwoods for sheating on the roof!!!  priced good 3/4 ply lately?????????  i dont make furniture--but would like to make some rustic type furniture that ive seen on diff websites----- thanks for the oppurtunity to enter the contest---oly

Max sawdust

Wow this is great 8)
Ya I am max sawdust never seen any sawdust ::)  I could sell my mill if I win :-*

OK OK I can not get away with saying I do not own a mill.

What a great opportunity for those that want a mill but do not have one. 
Come on, lets see hear the stories.  :P
I could write a book on when I got the sawmill bug, and how bad I wanted one, and how pleased I am with having one :D
max
Get writting all you want to bee's ;)
True Timbers
Cedar Products-Log & Timber Frame Building-Milling-Positive Impact Forestscaping-Cut to Order Lumber

JimBuis

My wife and I were living in the Washington, D.C. metropolitan area in 2003, had just bought a house, and had just moved in and unpacked our last box when we surprisingly got a phone call from the headmaster of Christian Academy in Japan (CAJ). He offered the two of us jobs at CAJ to begin in August of that year.
   I was a Human Resources Manager for the federal government and my wife was an ESL (English as a Second Language) Teacher at a community college.  We were earning good salaries and had just bought a house. It would be foolish to give all of that up for low salaries in one of the most expensive cities in the world.
   God dealt with us mightily at that moment. We struggled with many things for the longest 24 hours of our lives.  God brought to mind one passage of His Word in particular:
   "For consider your calling, brethren, that there were not many wise according to the flesh, not many mighty, not many noble; but God has chosen the foolish things of the world to shame the wise, and God has chosen the weak things of the world to shame the things which are strong, and the base things of the world and the despised, God has chosen, the things that are not, that He might nullify the things that are, that no man should boast before God."
(1 Corinthians 1:26-29)
   We defied the wisdom of men by quitting our jobs, selling our house, giving away or selling virtually everything we owned, and moved to Japan.  I am now a teacher at this school for missionary kids in Tokyo. I teach woodworking to middle and high school children.
   From my earliest days, I have always loved tools. However, until my current job, I had never done any serious woodworking. When I found out I was going to be teaching woodworking, I totally immersed myself in learning all aspects of the trade. It was during that time of immersion that I found the Forestry Forum and, through the Forestry Forum, that I learned about Peterson sawmills.
   I have never owned a sawmill. Last year, I helped the school buy a Husqvarna 3120 chainsaw and had a friend of mine build an Alaskan sawmill attachment for it.  I have occasionally used this mill setup to cut some lumber for my classes to use. It has been functional, but it is exhausting work.
   I have not seen a Skillmill in person, but I have read everything on the Skillmill website as well as watched the available videos.  I love the Peterson swingmills, especially their portability and having the capability for one person to setup, operate, and take-down the swingers.  The one thing I like the most about the Skillmill is the ability to cut at numerous angles.
   I have three recommendations for improvement of the Skillmill.  First, I recommend that you develop and offer extensions to the tracks to facilitate cutting longer logs. Second, I recommend that you offer the chainsaw, Alaskan mill, and necessary hardware as an option for the Skillmill purchaser. Some of us would rather buy the whole package at one place rather than dealing with multiple companies. Lastly, I recommend that you offer an optional handle extension for taller sawyers. The sawyer in the photographs and videos on the website is often being forced to stoop over as he gets to the last cuts on a log. It would be good for the handle extension to have a ratcheting pivot mechanism that would allow the sawyer to select different handle angles to adapt for different size logs and different heights from the ground which may result from using different size log bunks.
   My wife and I are moving back to the U.S. in June. We are looking forward to seeing more of our children and grandchildren.  We were concerned for a time about what I could do about finding a job. No one in America is interested in hiring a 50 year old guy, are they?  We prayed for an opportunity to continue in fulltime Christian service.
   God heard our prayer and has answered. We are going to live and work at LUC (Lives Under Construction) Boys Ranch [www.lucboys.org]. The ranch is a Christian organization established to offer a last chance to troubled boys.  We hope to be able to make a difference in the lives of these boys and show them the love of Jesus Christ. Many of them have never known true love in their entire lives.  But for the intervention of the staff at LUC Boys Ranch, many of these young men were headed for prison.
   If I were to win a Skillmill, I would use it at the ranch to cut lumber for the construction of buildings there and for projects that the boys make during their vocational/technical training. I hope that I can also improve on my own woodworking skills by making furniture as I teach the boys what I know. The ranch has over 350 acres of property much of which is forested.
   Thank you to everyone at Petersons for offering such marvelous products, for continuing to listen not only to customers but also to potential customers, and for offering this opportunity to a lucky contest winner.

Jim
Jim Buis                             Peterson 10" WPF swingmill

ADAMINMO

Background - work for Baker Products for 11 years now.I have always wanted a mill but could never find  way to be able to afford one.I have used mills at our plant for testing for customers.I ran one once that the guy was going to cut stone.Yes...a real rock. We used a special diamond encrusted band blade that was really tough.The rocks were huge.Probably 24" wide x 60" or so long and 18" or so thick.He wanted to make 3" thick slabs I think. It actually surprised me as well as it cut.

I looked at the Skillmill website and could see really nothing that I would do to improve or change it.What I like the most is that I could haul it out to the fallen tree in the woods and cut it up right there and not have a mess to clean up in the lot.Nor would I have to find a way to get the log to the mill when I can take the mill to the log.

My wifes grandpa has alot of land with nice cedar trees and some old dead fall trees from storms.I would like to have a mill to use for my woodworking hobby.I have alot of woodworking tools and a small mill of this caliber would be great for me to save on lumber costs when I get the chance to build things.

If I win you save on the freight and just have one of the guys from Baker Products haul it home to me.

Thanks for this great chance to win a great mill.

Adam

Mr Mom

I would like to say is that a eletric motor is good but i dont have a generator. That is a added cost to the mill.
     A gas motor is more of a good thing for me.
     Not that i am complaining.
     I did watch the video and i didnt know that a nice small mill like this was around.
     I hope this is what you want.

Thanks Alot Mr Mom   

Thank You Sponsors!