iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Ramps

Started by SAW MILLER, April 23, 2007, 09:58:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SAW MILLER

I had a mess of ramps today...mighty good.Anyone else been enjoying the little stinkers?
LT 40 woodmizer..Massey ferg.240 walker gyp and a canthook

Texas Ranger

The Ranger, home of Texas Forestry

Jeff

Howz yer breath?   :)
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

Mooseherder

Dem taste like fiddleheads?

isawlogs

They are just breaking ground here .  8)
A man does not always grow wise as he grows old , but he always grows old as he grows wise .

Marcel

SAW MILLER

Dey don,t taste like fiddle heads and my breath.....well,it prolly is a little pungent to say du least ::)

Don P

Not yet but I heard gunshots and saw some morel hunters near work the other evening. The champeen at the ramp festival wins a bottle of scope here  :).

jon12345

I saw some out on a hillside I drove by the other day I gotta go get some  8)
A.A.S. in Forest Technology.....Ironworker

Tom

Do you eat the whole thing, just the greens or just the bulb?  How do you fix'em.  Are they a main course this time of year?   Can they be kept?  Are they just a narrow season crop?

Jeff

You sound desperately hungry Tom  :D
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

Tom

It's all this snow and ice, Jeff.  Collards are going to be hard to find.

Woodwalker

Collards I eat, gonna have to find out what a ramp is. Do y'all pick it or skin it?
Just cause your head's pointed, don't mean you are sharp.

Don P

isawlogs

Quote from: Tom on April 24, 2007, 09:48:23 PM
Do you eat the whole thing, just the greens or just the bulb? How do you fix'em. Are they a main course this time of year? Can they be kept? Are they just a narrow season crop?

Boy can you get going on questions ....

• Some do eat the whole thing , me included
  • The greens can be put in a salade
  • Bulb is da better part
  • Fixe um .. well ya wash um  ::)
  • They are not a main course , ya gotta like um , not every body does
  • Ya can keep um in da fridge like any vegy  , or marinade dem liek pickles , no cooking just da water and vinigar
  • It is a very narrow crop , a few weeks at best ...
  • Take a drive nord if ya want any , I am still around for anuder month an a half
A man does not always grow wise as he grows old , but he always grows old as he grows wise .

Marcel

isawlogs

Here ya go  Tom , you need to wait a few days for it to be just right for the picking ,   :)

Marcel

Furby

Ya eating flowers ???

isawlogs

::) ::) ::) Furby ......   
   Where is it dat ya see a flower mon ami . ????

Marcel

Furby

Won't there be one there if ya don't eat it ???

Never mind, I had my ID wrong. Was thinking of something else. ::)

isawlogs

No ... there will be a stem on some with seed at da end of stem.

Here I ran out a took a pick of the patch that I have by da barn .  ;)

Marcel

Mooseherder

I tink i got sum of dem at the camp. ;D
Didn't know you could eat dem.

Tom

There ya go, Mooseherder.  One more step closer to survival.  :D :D :D

We keep this up and we might all live forever.  ;D

Don P

Well, Mooseherder its a judgement call  :D
I was hoping somebody would post some kinda good recipe. To be honest I've pulled one up occasionally and bit it just to confirm my opinion  ;D

Mooseherder

I'll post some pics before eatin' to make sure. :D
Going up on the 18th of May. Maybe too late, maybe not.
Hopefully the fiddleheads will be there. ;D

Ron Scott

~Ron

bitternut

Dem things look like leeks to me. Going to get a bunch the first of next week while turkey hunting. Got lots of them under the maple trees.

jon12345

yeah but leeks taste better  :D
A.A.S. in Forest Technology.....Ironworker

pappy

Quote from: Mooseherder on April 25, 2007, 10:31:51 PM
I'll post some pics before eatin' to make sure. :D
Going up on the 18th of May. Maybe too late, maybe not.
Hopefully the fiddleheads will be there. ;D

Dat woodn't be what we also call "Skunk Cabbage or "Stinkin' Benjamin ???

Hate ta tell ya Mooseherder but I'll be surprised if the ice is out of the Fish River chain a lakes by then... Everything is running really late this year...
The Saint John just went out last week and that's at least two weeks late if not more huh??

Here's a link to a site of the ice going out last week Tuesday I believe, and also some pics in there ta make ya homesick...  ;)  Clayton does nice work...

http://www.claytonsphotos.com/

Ya say ya comin'n up the 18th of May?? Well we must get together this time!!! Your place or mine or even better how about both, how long ya staying this trip??

Fiddleheads uhmmmmm are usually poppin' up around Memorial, you still gonna be around?? Maybe we can take the canoe out to the islands of the St John ta find some ....

Tim
"And if we live, we shall go again, for the enchantment which falls upon those who have gone into the woodland is never broken."

"Down the Allagash."  by; Henry Withee

Dan_Shade

I'm from WV, but we don't have ramps where I grew up, but being how richwood has that big ramps festival, it's one of the few things we pride ourselves on.

when I was in college, we (the guys in my co-ed dorm) decided we'd have a ramp party one night while all of the girls got together to watch 90210 or melrose place, or something of the same general garbage. 

I guess that was one of the "meaner" things I'd partaken in, you'd have thought we were killing all of those out of state girls with our bad breath and general demeanor!

I haven't had any ramps for 12 years :(

Woodmizer LT40HDG25 / Stihl 066 alaskan
lots of dull bands and chains

There's a fine line between turning firewood into beautiful things and beautiful things into firewood.

Mooseherder

Great Pics Pappy, he is good and that does make me homesick. ;)
We would love to get together. May 18th and 27th will be travel days to and from.
Flying in and out of Portland and renting a car from there.
Maybe you guys can come Friday the 25th or Saturday the 26th.
Love to see your place also. Let us know when it is good for you.

Glenn

Tom

Co-ed dorm....!?  College!?!? :P

sawguy21

See what you you missed out on in military college :D :D :D
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

SAW MILLER

Pappy,Ramps are a different plant than skunk cabage.We have that too but I don't think it is edible.

thecfarm

I wouldn't eat shuck cabbage.My dad always told the story about a goat his mother got and had never seen shuck cabbage.It's really the first thing that greens up around here of any size.That goat ate all that he could find,my father find him leaning against a fence post and puking his dinner out.If a goat can't keep it down,than I wouldn't eat it.Ice is all gone around here.I think all that rain had alot to do with it.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Thank You Sponsors!