iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

How much oil for the bar?

Started by scgargoyle, April 23, 2007, 05:48:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

scgargoyle

How much oil should an oiler put out? My friend's saw puts out about a teaspoon in 2-3 minutes. Is this about right? I'm from the old days when you had to push a button periodically to oil the chain.
I hope my ship comes in before the dock rots!

Ianab

New saws do oil much less than the older oil sprayers  :D

If you have used 3/4s of the oil tank to a tank of gas then it's about right. You should be able to see a film of oil on the chain tangs and it will throw a VERY fine mist if you point it a stump, but it wont 'spray paint' things like in the old days  ;)

Cheers

Ian
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

Kevin

I use a tank of oil to a tank of fuel.
Oil is cheap, bar and chain wear are expensive.

jjmk98k

Both my Husqvarna 350 and 372XP have a little left in the oil tank after consumeing all the fuel in the fuel tank, just as its desigend to.

When you top them off, you should not run out of oil before running out of gas...

Jim

Warminster PA, not quite hell, but it is a local phone call. SUPPORT THE TROOPS!

Al_Smith

Quote from: Kevin on April 23, 2007, 08:39:31 PM
I use a tank of oil to a tank of fuel.
Oil is cheap, bar and chain wear are expensive.
My sentiments exactly .I get amused at folks that are concerned about oil usage,untidy ya know.I guess I've never been so dainty as to worry about a little oil or saw dust but to each his or her own. :D

jjmk98k

My sentiments exactly .I get amused at folks that are concerned about oil usage,untidy ya know.I guess I've never been so dainty as to worry about a little oil or saw dust but to each his or her own. :D

Another way to look at it, a gallon here, a gallon there... thats a lot of oil running into your watersheds, wells, lakes and so on..... it all gets into the ecosystem someday

use what the machines needs, but no need to be excessive, thats how I see it
Jim

Warminster PA, not quite hell, but it is a local phone call. SUPPORT THE TROOPS!

Al_Smith

I suppose there might be some merit in that thought of excessive oil being an eco disaster.I for one don't feel it would actully be a problem but to each his  own on that subject.

If however I felt strongly that petrolium based lube  oils in small amounts were damaging to the eco system,I would look into bio degradable oils such as veggie oil.I've never used it myself but there are a few that say it works great.

I wouldn't  think that oils derived from sunflower seeds or corn or peanuts shoud be any more harmfull than the plant it came from.That is to say in small amounts.Large amounts,such as a tank car full,would be an entirely different matter and an awfull mess,to say the least.

Frickman

Petroleum oil is carbon based, therefore, it is boidegradable. The oil that we use when we run a saw naturally breaks down in the environment. They found after the Exxon Valdez accident that natural decomposition broke down the spilled oil much faster than anyone expected. Not to say that the spill was a good thing, just that there are  organisms that feed on oil.
If you're not broke down once in a while, you're not working hard enough

I'm not a hillbilly. I'm an "Appalachian American"

Retired  Conventional hand-felling logging operation with cable skidder and forwarder, Frick 01 handset sawmill

Pretend farmer when I have the time

Thank You Sponsors!