iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Morphed: Buffet Table thread turns to woodworking!

Started by Patty, April 17, 2007, 07:56:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Patty

You think that table is hard to move, it doesn't hold a candle to the lathe....man it is heavy! Just ask Norm, he has moved them both just recently.  ;D
Women are Angels.
And when someone breaks our wings....
We simply continue to fly ........
on a broomstick.....
We are flexible like that.

Greenedive

Hmmm,
Maybe I can get him to come out and help me move my lathe this summer.  ;D  It's an old Oliver Patternmaker's lathe (vintage 1910, 12' long and weighs 2½ ton) and I have to move it 50 miles and somehow get it into the basement of the new house. I love that old girl, but I need something for my smaller turnings...turning a tiny goblet on a lathe whose biggest faceplate is 54" and can turn 8' between centers is just a slight overkill. ;D

But...you can put the biggest ugliest hard maple or ironwood burl on there and it doesn't shake a bit. And with that 3½ horse motor it doesn't slow down either.  :)
I saw a pix of your lathe and that is a beautiful machine. What kind of turning do you guys do? I would dearly love to try a nice cherry burl on a sleek modern machine like that.

Patty

What kind of turning do you guys do?

Very little right now, I am sad to say. I have been making lots of little things on my mini-lathe....pens, knives, etc. I do them as favors for folks.....and I owe alot of favors!  :D   When things settle down some, I want to make a clock for my brother. He made a set of rocking chairs for us that are awesome. I will post a photo when I get to the office.

Awesome chair!! Just fits this old granny  :)
Women are Angels.
on a broomstick.....

olyman

if you see another of those-----"tables"  in your travels--let me know---

Greenedive

Beautiful mission style rocker, Patty!! Your brother must be quite a craftsman.  :o

Patty

Yes he is a great craftsman. He has made several pieces, each one a thing of beauty. Norm & I are just happy that we get the opportunity to give him the wood to make such cool pieces.  :)

He and his wife are both talented. She works with glass and he with wood.
Women are Angels.
on a broomstick.....

Greenedive

That sounds like a good combination...do they ever collaborate on a project? I can think of many cool ideas involving glass and wood. Does she do stained glass...or maybe you were referring to blown glass?

Patty

Yes they have on many projects. He has built the "frames" for her works while she does the glass. One project that I recall was for the local hospital I think, he built four wall frames and in each one she depicted a  glass scene...one for each season.

Right now she is doing art glass sculpture things. She patented a way to "sew" glass together, and has several beautiful pieces. Here is a link to her website: http://www.taylorglasgow.com/index.htm

Her artwork is "unique" to say the least!  :o

Women are Angels.
on a broomstick.....

Greenedive

Wow!! That is amazing!! Does she ever sell on the open market? The detail is incredible...wonder what kind of prices she gets for her work? I like the whimsical themes. :)

Patty

She is in galleries in New York, Chicago and Miami, I think. I know she had a display in the Smithsonian as well, but I am not sure it is still there. Yes she sells her pieces out right, she does shows and stuff. I think her biggest shows are in Miami and in New York. Her website lists when and where her stuff is displayed. You can send her an email if you are really curious, but they will be in Europe for the next month or so, so you may not hear back right away.

I love her work also. She did a table for me several years ago that I absolutely love. Norm doesn't seem to be able to see the beauty in it, but I don't think he is looking at it right.  :D   It is very whimsical and colorful and imaginative. Not so much a guy thing, I guess.  :) 
Women are Angels.
on a broomstick.....

Norm

Oh I'm looking at it right....just making sure it will fit in the fireplace.  ;D

isawlogs

Ok , you two .. back to your respective corners ...  ;D :D
A man does not always grow wise as he grows old , but he always grows old as he grows wise .

Marcel

Greenedive

Ahhhh...so this is the Norm that goes with the Lathe Patty....I am slowly sorting things out... ;D

Could you post a pix of that table, Patty...I have a sensitive side....Haw Haw  :)

Patty

Women are Angels.
on a broomstick.....

Fla._Deadheader

Da Glass Lady does some fantastic work, and I appreciate Art as much as other normal folks, however, I gotta go wit Norm. Git 'er done, Norm .  :D :D :D :D :D :D
All truth passes through three stages:
   First, it is ridiculed;
   Second, it is violently opposed; and
   Third, it is accepted as self-evident.

-- Arthur Schopenhauer (1788-1860)

Burlkraft

WOW..........Well it's colorful......I'm kinda hopin' that there wasn't any figured wood in there that got PAINTED.... smiley_furious3 smiley_furious3 smiley_furious3

There's usually a pretty good fire goin at da piggy roast.... ;D ;D ;D
Why not just 1 pain free day?

Patty

:D :D    You guys just aren't looking at it correctly.   :o           It has pizazz!
Women are Angels.
on a broomstick.....

Norm

The way I'm looking at it it has....btu's    :D

WH_Conley

Bill

PC-Urban-Sawyer

Quote from: WH_Conley on April 23, 2007, 10:41:55 AM
... box of matches?

I'm not sure if ANYTHING matches that table :D

Though to be nice about it, I will admit that it seems to have a lot of nice detail work...

Patty

I am thinking that deep down inside, you guys really do like my table.  ;D           You just don't want to admit it. I am contacting each one of your wives and telling them you want one just like mine.  ;D
Women are Angels.
on a broomstick.....

Furby

Well it's an awesome piece of work! 8)
But....... I'm with Norm as well, I just couldn't stand having that around. ;D
Feel free to contact my wife Patty! ;)

Fla._Deadheader

All truth passes through three stages:
   First, it is ridiculed;
   Second, it is violently opposed; and
   Third, it is accepted as self-evident.

-- Arthur Schopenhauer (1788-1860)

Patty

All I have to do is show her a picture Harold and point to you. Teri and her little sister will be happy to help me with this. I know you want one!

Furby, I can't help you. I'll just have to call your mom.  :)
Women are Angels.
on a broomstick.....

Burlkraft

Quote from: Patty on April 23, 2007, 05:33:32 PM
Furby, I can't help you. I'll just have to call your mom.  :)

OUCH....... :D :D :D :D :D :D :D
Why not just 1 pain free day?

Thank You Sponsors!