iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Keeping tension on a Poulan Pro

Started by Osric, April 20, 2007, 05:47:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Osric

I've read some of the earlier posts on Poulans and know there is a lot of strong feelings both pro and con for the Poulan saws.  I got one as a gift from my wife for Christmas and have just now broken it out to use.

I put the chain on, gassed it up and started doing some sawing.  It lasted about 10 minutes before the chain fell off.  Over the next hour or so, I had to put the chain back on probably 3 times.  This last time after I got the chain back on I revved it up to see if everything was normal.  I noticed then that the screw that supposed to keep the chain tight is slowly losing its hold.  It is one of those hand tighten ones that is supposed to lock into place when you snap it down, but it kept jumping up and losening every couple seconds.

My question is to those who have a poulan (especially one of the newer ones) if there is a way to stop this.  It is going to be very frustrating having to tighten things back up after every cut.  Since it was bought at Christmas time and I've already gassed it up and everything, I don't know if returning it is an option.  Any ideas on how to stop this?

Kevin

Osric

yes....this is one of the new toolless chainsaws.  there is a disk to turn rather than the two nuts that keep tension on the bar and a wheel to turn to adjust the tension.  When the bar is tightened, it is supposed to keep the wheel in place.  But when the saw is revved up, the wheel slips several notches (you can see how the 'lock' on the disk is not catching on anything) and the wheel that adjust the tension then loosens until after a couple minutes the chain pops off.

Osric

Tried the strategic placement of duct tape.

Didn't work.  Made about 20 cuts before the chain popped off.  This is going to make my days MUCH longer if I have to stop every 10 minutes to put the blade back on.

Kevin

My advice would be to take it back and spend the extra on a better saw.
If they get enough of them back maybe they'll engineer a little more quality into them.

Osric

Ya...was going to do that too.  Called this morning to find out if I could and it is a no go.  I'm in manufacture warranty area.  Should have kept in the box and returned it before I opened it.  Thought about doing that and trying to get a stihl instead. 

Oh well...I'm sure there must be something I can do to slow things down.  It isnt' a bad saw otherwise, but I guess this is a pretty significant flaw.  :-\

Kevin

Don't take no for an answer, start with the local manager and keep pushing it up the ladder.

olyman

as kev said----also--go where wife got that saw from--to get poulans cust service number--and ring their phone off the wall----squeaky wheel----

sawguy21

Apparently the big box stores will not accept a return once it has been fueled. They will only exchange it for another POS.
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

Osric

thought I had it fixed today...go on out and hit the woodpile.

Get 2 cuts before it falls off.

grrrrrr

Kevin

When I bought my 335 Husqvarna it had the Intenz system.
I told them I would only buy it if they converted it back to the screw tensioner.
They did and I bought the saw.

scottr

Quote from: Osric on April 22, 2007, 01:11:24 PM
thought I had it fixed today...go on out and hit the woodpile.

Get 2 cuts before it falls off.

grrrrrr
Osric , what is the model number of your saw ? I'd like to look up the chain tension procedure and the IPL to see how it is suppose to work .

Osric

Well, I got some good news that I thought I'd pass on.  I stopped by the big box store today to actually talk to a manager.  I explained the situation and even though it was bought as a gift for me at Christmas time, he had no problem with my returning it.  I brought it back in and he gave me a $200 credit for the store.

Now comes the next dilema.  They carry the Husqvarna models there.  The 16" model 142 is about the same price as the one I took back.  The 18" Model 350 is about $125 more.  It would be nice if I used this cred towards a new saw, but I'll spend that much at the place over the summer anyways, so if I don't use it for a saw, I'm not really out any money.  So my question is: should I just go ahead and get one of the Husqvarna or should I go looking for a place that sells Stihls and get one of those?

I'd like to keep the expense in the $200 range.  I'd like something good and reliable, but I'm no professional and don't need anything heavy duty.  If I went even for a used Stihl, what could I expect for around $200 and is there anything I should be looking for (or looking out for.)

I'm sure these are pretty basic questions and appreciate the responses and help I've already gotten.  Thanks.

thecfarm

If I was you I would go with the Hushy or the Stihl,new.From what I understand,you don't know much about a saw and are just learning.There are good used saws out there,but won't know until you use it for a day.I feel you also need a good dealer that will help you out.There are good ones and bad ones of them too.Let us know what you do.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

sawguy21

I hate to break it to you but the 142 is a rebadged Poulan. Husqvarna owns the company. The 350 is built by Husky in Sweden and is a very decent home owner saw.
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

SawTroll

Quote from: sawguy21 on April 24, 2007, 12:57:42 AM
I hate to break it to you but the 142 is a rebadged Poulan. Husqvarna owns the company. The 350 is built by Husky in Sweden and is a very decent home owner saw.

The Husky 350 is probably the best "consumer class" saw on the market, much better than the comparable Stihl (MS250).   :)

The 142 is not a rebadged Poulan, even though it is assambled by Poulan.
Poulan has no corresponding model, sold as a Poulan.
The same goes for the 36, 41, 136, 141 and 137.

The saw is designed by Husky, and most of the important parts are actually made in Sweden, by Husky - but it is one of their cheapest models. The 300 series saws are much better.
Information collector.

IndyIan

I've got a husky 141, same thing, assembled by poulan.  It does work pretty good so far, I've got 20 to 30 hours on it.  I think the main advantage is that its got a husky warranty, 2yrs vs. the other guys, and a husky dealer will work on it and be able to get parts. 
My father in law wanted to borrow my 372(no way!) so I suggested we split on a saw, he only wanted to spend $250....  So I got the 141...  I should've insisted on a better saw but I caved. 
Anyways, it cuts wood, uses very little gas, and its hard to do bore cuts with a safety chain, but if a tree falls on it or my father in law kills it with old mix I won't be too sad at all. 

rebocardo

I was dropping a tree for a customer and got to talk with him about what he was using to cut them up. He just bought a Poulan with that newer adjuster and he was returning it to Lowes because the chain keeps falling off!

I told him to exchange it for the Husky 350 and don't take no for an answer as the design is defective.

rebocardo

He bought the 350 and is much happier now  :)

Thank You Sponsors!