iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Murphy was here today

Started by pineywoods, April 19, 2007, 10:30:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

pineywoods

This has been one of them days, I'm almost afraid to do anything. The day started by getting a pine stump hung under the dozer and breaking off the oil filter. Called the parts place, can't get the filter mounting bracket till monday. Oh well, now would be a good time to take down that standing dead pine tree in the back yard. Dropped the pine almost where I wanted it, but it hung in a nearby oak at about a 45 degree angle. Backed the tractor as close to the butt as I could get, and started to spool out the winch cable: it's all tangled  and can't spool off enough to reach. used a chain to make up the distance between the end of the winch cable and the log. When I started winching, the roller chain drive to the winch jumped the sproket and broke. Two hours later I finally have the log out and loaded onto the mill. It sawed into a nice 8X8 cant, except one end was 8X7. dummy had neglected to drop the toe roller.....
Quit and go check out the FF.  So far all the magic smoke is still in the computer....I hope Mr Murphy goes somewhere else tomorrow.
1995 Wood Mizer LT 40, Liquid cooled kawasaki,homebuilt hydraulics. Homebuilt solar dry kiln.  Woodmaster 718 planner, Kubota M4700 with homemade forks and winch, stihl  028, 029, Ms390
100k bd ft club.Charter member of The Grumpy old Men

Tom

Somedays it feels like we'd be better off if we had stayed in bed. :D  Retirement must be right around the corner.  When I get to be 70, I'm going to quit again too.  :D :D

pineywoods

Hey Tom, some advice about retiring...DON'T. What happens is everybody thinks since you are retired you have plenty of time to do small jobs, so the work piles up and you get further behind. I "retired" 12 years ago and I ain't got caught up yet. Got 4 customers logs in my back yard, a batch of custom moulding to run, a mayhaw tree shaker to fix, a bucket truck with electrical problems, hydraulic upgrade for my sawmill, hydraulic problem on the dozer,
neighbor with a blown down tree in the yard, stumps in the church yard to grind, blades to sharpen..... Plus the busted oil filter on the dozer and mamma's ever-growing honeydo list.
Plenty of opportunity for mr. murphy.  Life's never dull.
1995 Wood Mizer LT 40, Liquid cooled kawasaki,homebuilt hydraulics. Homebuilt solar dry kiln.  Woodmaster 718 planner, Kubota M4700 with homemade forks and winch, stihl  028, 029, Ms390

Tom

I wish I were a little closer.  We could discuss this at length over a rich, black  cup of coffee and make plans to get it all done but stay away from a starting point.   You know, the bream are on the beds now.  :D

thurlow

Quote from: pineywoods on April 20, 2007, 09:40:12 AM
everybody thinks since you are retired you have plenty of time

I put a crop in the ground 40 years in a row............not counting the few years I worked for my Dad.  Everybody asks, "What's it like being retired?"  I tell 'em I don't know how I ever found time to farm; busier than I've ever been.  My wife's '51 Ford pick-up is sitting out by the shop;  gas tank's been off of it for about 3 years.  Fellow a little older than me came by and asked if it was for sale;  he's been retired for about 5 years;  said, "I'm so bored, haven't got anything to do".  I had to very carefully keep a straight face to keep from rolling my eyes.  No way I'll live long enough to get everything done...................
Here's to us and those like us; DanG few of us left!

Tom

If by some happen chance, I got everything done, there is no way I'd let anybody know  :D

PineNut

I have had plenty of those Murphy days. However today was very unusual. Carried off a load of trash and the county was moving trash so they unloaded my trailer for me. Came back to start the tiller which has not been used in three years. Serviced it, pulled the cord one time and it was running. Took out the mower that had not been used since last summer and it started right up. Accomplished all I set out to do. Am sure that Murphy will not vacation very long though.

pineywoods

He came back today, in the form of a nasty thunderstorm. here's a pic of my driveway and house this morning. Big old post oak right across my house and garage. Two vehicles in the garage, not a scratch on either. By 10 am I had 5 guys helping clean up the mess, 2 were sawmillers, 1 firewood guy, and 2 good friends. As of nightfall, the roof is clean and patched, the driveway is open, but the yard is still a disaster. It went right across a 16 foot garage door but the beam above the door held. Its home made, 2X4's glued, nailed and screwed to make up a 4X16 beam 18 feet long. Have a bunch of broken rafters,trashed 4/4 decking and some thoroughly mangled metal roofing. 

WDH

DanG Pineywoods, that is some bad stuff.  Hope y'all are all safe.  On the bright side, are you gonna q-saw that big post oak?
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Mooseherder

That is real scary stuff pineywoods. Hope everyone is okay.

thecfarm

What a mess!!!!!! Glad everyone is all right.That is a big tree.That could of really did a lot more damage.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Fla._Deadheader

All truth passes through three stages:
   First, it is ridiculed;
   Second, it is violently opposed; and
   Third, it is accepted as self-evident.

-- Arthur Schopenhauer (1788-1860)

pineywoods

I gonna saw some of it just for pure spite if nothing else. I know there is metal in the trunk, it used to be beside the front gate to an old home place. couple of the limbs were about 18 inch dia and had some interesting crotches. Had'nt thought about quarter sawing. There is a hollow about 6 inch dia right up the middle, but lots of good solid heart wood. Guess i'll have to fix the roof first. Just about imposssible to find anyone to do this sort of repairs, so I'll probably have to do it myself, there goes some more of my sawmill time..

Paul_H

Quote from: pineywoods on May 05, 2007, 09:50:20 AM
I gonna saw some of it just for pure spite if nothing else.

Pineywoods,

That was a very close call from where I'm sitting,I hope you get that Oak sawed up and make some keepsakes from it.
I'm glad nobody was injured.
Science isn't meant to be trusted it's to be tested

Tom

It's a big hummer.  If it had fallen across the roof of the house it would have probably gone to the ground. You're a lucky man!

Handy Andy

You know, just for orneryness I'd saw that tree and use the lumber to fix the house.
My name's Jim, I like wood.

sawguy21

:D :D :D :D Don't get mad, get even.
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

pineywoods

Just discovered a casualty from the downed tree. Mamma jaybird still in the nest, both flat as a pancake. I've often wondered how birds survive high winds and storms. Weather folks say the straight line winds were in excess of 70 mph.

Don K

Storms are rough on wildlife. Hurricane Ivan about wiped out our squirrel population. That evening you could stand in my backyard and hear lots of baby squirrels squealing after being dislodged from their nests. Also hurt the turkeys too as it hit during the night. I'm sure alot of birds were blown pell mell thru the woods.

Don
Lucky to own a WM LT40HDD35, blessed to have a wife that encouraged me to buy it.     Now that\'s true love!
Massey Ferguson 1547 FWD with FEL  06 GMC Sierra 2500HD 4X4 Dozer Retriever Husky 359 20\" Bar  Man, life is getting good!

DWM II

Glad your ok piney, all we got south of you was rain (8") and lots of lightening. Our church was struck repeatedly and burnt up some electrical, fried a buch of computers and some of the sound, but praise God everyone is safe.
Stewardship Counts!

Thank You Sponsors!