iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Picture Frames, with compound angles

Started by Nate Surveyor, April 19, 2007, 12:33:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Nate Surveyor

Does anybody have all the compound angles for a pic frame?

Is there a web site, where I can plug in the amount of "Compound angles", and then dial it in, and cut?

I tried it by hand the other day, with a skill saw, and figgered it out that there is just a wee bit more to the task than just go cut them!

Thanks.

Nate
I know less than I used to.

Radar67

A picture frame with 4 sides uses 45° angles. If you want a tilt to the frame, you still use the 45° angles for the corners, then decide what you want for the tilt. 5° is a good starting point. You should use a compound miter saw for the best results. A table saw works well too.

Stew
"A man's time is the most valuable gift he can give another." TOM

If he can cling to his Blackberry, I can cling to my guns... Me

This will kill you, that will kill you, heck...life will kill you, but you got to live it!

"The man who can comprehend the why, can create the how." SFC J

JimBuis

I like to use a table saw myself, then use a router to add a decorative edge to the pieces before assembly.

Jim
Jim Buis                             Peterson 10" WPF swingmill

low_48

The 45 degree cut won't work when making a compound angle cut. For a 5 degree slope you have to set it at 45.11 degreees. Here is a link for just such work.
http://www.betterwoodworking.com/compound_miter.htm

Nate Surveyor

Mr. 48, that is just what the doc ordered! Thank you!

I had the blade tilt at 20°, and needless to say, it did NOT work!

Nate
I know less than I used to.

Larry

The chart requires you to very precisely set blade angles in two different planes.  You might be able to use a simpler and more accurate method.  Cut a spring board to the proper spring angle (they call it "S" for slope).  Put the board on the bed of your miter or RAS.  Cut your workpiece on top of the spring board.  You will only have to align the blade in one plane...if you have accurate stops and can use the stop angles it becomes child's play.

I've also used the above method with a sled on the table saw...just a little different.
Larry, making useful and beautiful things out of the most environmental friendly material on the planet.

We need to insure our customers understand the importance of our craft.

Thank You Sponsors!