Sponsors:

Announcing Sawlex 2007

Started by Jeff, July 17, 2006, 02:12:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jeff

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE   Contact: Ted Hugger, 207-799-1356
Logging, Sawyering, and Wood-Processing Tradeshow Announced
For May 18–19, 2007 in Columbia, South Carolina
SAWLEX will feature in-woods equipment demonstrations, seminars, and exhibits.

Columbia, SC—Organizers of SAWLEX, The Sawmill & Logging Expo, announced today that the popular business-to-business trade show for the logging and sawyering industry will be held in Columbia, South Carolina in 2007. Show dates are set for May 18–19. The South Carolina venue will feature a format that allows for in-woods demonstrations of timber harvesting and processing equipment, as well as outside static displays and demonstrations, inside exhibits, seminars, and workshops.
SAWLEX has earned the endorsement of The South Carolina Timber Producers Association. "Our association is excited to be working with SAWLEX to bring this live logging demo to the South Carolina midlands," said Crad Jaynes, association president and CEO. "The heavy equipment demonstrations and displays, along with the educational aspects of the event, make SAWLEX a valuable opportunity not only for our members, but for all timber industry professionals throughout the southeast.
"Loggers will come to this large event because it will be showcasing the best and newest timber harvesting equipment and technology," Jaynes added. "Being able to watch equipment in action in the woods—observing performance, ease of operation, productivity—allows loggers to see how each piece of equipment will fit into his particular operation before he buys it."

"SAWLEX is going to be very well received by loggers, and I expect a major turnout," said Rodney Edge, manager of Tidewater Equipment Company in Newberry, SC. "Timber is one of three major industries in the state, and there is enthusiasm for the show from the loggers I've talked to." Tidewater sells Tigercat, Franklin, Barko, CTR, and Cutting Systems equipment.

Randy Wilkes, forestry sales manager for Van Lott, Inc. in West Columbia — a John Deere/Timberjack forestry equipment dealer — feels the midlands show will be a productive opportunity for equipment distributors and manufacturers to get together in one location. "SAWLEX will be the place for us to show the latest product lines — equipment people haven't seen, equipment that's just been released," he explained. "And because it's an in-woods show, loggers will be able to see the machinery working, see the equipment's speed and performance. It's a good way for professional loggers to scrutinize the machinery side-by-side...a great way to compare apples to apples, before purchasing a piece of equipment."
Tidewater's Edge agrees with Wilkes. "Selling logging equipment is a hands-on type of thing. Loggers are set in their ways and it's difficult to change their well-formed opinions. You need to be able to show them to sell them, and an in-woods logging show is the best way to do that."
"Following the show's successful 2005 debut in Ohio, we surveyed exhibitors and they were enthusiastic about a southern location for the next event," reported Ted Hugger, SAWLEX show director. "Based on the initial response from the industry, we expect SAWLEX 2007 to nearly double in size." The 2005 event included 62 exhibiting companies and 87,446 net square feet of exhibit space, and drew logging professionals from 29 states.
Hugger says that exhibitors will display a full range of logging, transport, processing, and sawmilling equipment, including feller-bunchers, harvesters, forwarders, log loaders, skidders, portable sawmills, mulch-coloring systems, delimbers, chippers and grinders, firewood splitters and processors, conveyors, pallet equipment, dry kilns, chain saws, lumber grading and marking gear, moisture meters, safety equipment, tires, off-road trucks and equipment, ATVs, specialty trailers, and more.
SAWLEX will have a significant economic impact on the region. Organizers anticipate as many as 5,000 equipment buyers and exhibitors will attend the event, and according to the region's travel and tourism authorities, that will translate into hundreds of area hotel room-nights, and booming business for restaurants and stores in the area. "The Columbia Riverbanks Region is excited and honored to be chosen as the site of the SAWLEX Sawmill & Logging Expo in 2007," said Steve Camp, president and CEO of the Midlands Authority for Conventions, Sports & Tourism. "Our region is looking forward to hosting this event and showing the attendees what a wonderful, entertaining, and friendly place this is."

Independent Sawmill & Woodlot Management magazine, sponsor of SAWLEX, will present two events during the expo. The Great Portable Sawmill Shootout®, a head-to-head demonstration event with factory crews operating portable sawmills, will return to SAWLEX in 2007. In addition, the Great Firewood Competition®, a shoot-out for firewood splitting and processing equipment, will debut at SAWLEX.
SAWLEX is produced by Hugger Event Management, LLC. For information on exhibiting or attending SAWLEX 07, call 207–799–1356 or visit www.sawlex.com.
###
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

Furby

8) 8) 8)
Been to Columbia,SC before, did a tournament on near by Lake Murry. Some awesome fishing if anyone gets bored at SAWLEX (like that would happen ::) ).
Looking forward to find a way to go to this!

DanG

Well imagine all that!  Who'da thunk to have a forestry show in the woods?  I thought they was supposed to be in a Mall parking lot. :D :D

I'll be dere! 8) 8)
"I don't feel like an old man.  I feel like a young man who has something wrong with him."  Dick Cavett
"Beat not thy sword into a plowshare, rather beat the sword of thine enemy into a plowshare."

Fla._Deadheader

Gonna write this-un on the wall. No tellin where I'll be around that time.  ;) :D :D :D
All truth passes through three stages:
   First, it is ridiculed;
   Second, it is violently opposed; and
   Third, it is accepted as self-evident.

-- Arthur Schopenhauer (1788-1860)

Husband

I'll bring my axe for the firewood shoot out too!! :D

DR_Buck

Anybody scoped out campground locations yet?    Looks like we're going to try and make it towing the trailer along.
Been there, done that.   Never got caught [/b]
Retired and not doing much anymore and still not getting caught

Jeff

What kind of turnout do you think we can manage for Sawlex? Do ya'll think we can bring enoguh of us together to beat out the amish in attendance numbers? :D

There looks to be a very good chance that Sawmill and Woodlot magazine and the show's promoter are going to make sure the Forestry Forum is there. I'll be talking to them on Monday and we'll learn more on this, but it looks like Jeff and Tammy will be going to North Carolina and if we do, I'm hoping that there will be a ton of us there to give the show that flavor that only our members can give!  :)

DR_Buck

Quotebut it looks like Jeff and Tammy will be going to North Carolina

Isn't the show in South Carolina?  eh eh ???
Been there, done that.   Never got caught [/b]
Retired and not doing much anymore and still not getting caught

Jeff

:D  Probably., yea, but  aint we gotta go through North to get to south? ;)

Burlkraft

Will the FF Gulfstream be stoppin' in Madison ta pick up me and Da Beenthere.... ???   ???   ???
Why not just 1 pain free day?

wwsjr

I am going to try to make the trip. Although, I do not plan to go thru NC.
Retired US Army, Full Time Sawyer since 2001. 2013 LT40HD Super with 25HP 3 Phase, Command Control with Accuset2. ED26 WM Edger, Ford 3930 w/FEL, Prentice Log Loader. Stihl 311, 170 & Logrite Canthooks. WM Million BF Club Member.

Jeff

Quote from: Burlkraft on February 15, 2007, 03:37:46 PM
Will the FF Gulfstream be stoppin' in Madison ta pick up me and Da Beenthere.... ???   ???   ???

Mebbe we could charter one of dem big amish buckboards...

Don K

I've got it marked on the calendar and vacation posted on the board at work!! ;D ;D  I hope we have a big turnout.
Lucky to own a WM LT40HDD35, blessed to have a wife that encouraged me to buy it.     Now that\'s true love!
Massey Ferguson 1547 FWD with FEL  06 GMC Sierra 2500HD 4X4 Dozer Retriever Husky 359 20\" Bar  Man, life is getting good!

RMay

RMay in Okolona Arkansas  Sawing since 2001 with a 2012 Wood-Miser LT40HDSD35-RA  with Command Control and Accuset .

Jeff

I just got off a conference call with Walter from Sawmill & Woodlot and Ted from Hugger from Hugger Productions. They will be providing the Forestry Forum with a gathering spot such as we had at the first Sawlex in Ohio!  Tammy and I will find a way to get there, but we'll get there! I may be asking some members that are coming for some help in helping us man the Forestry Forum area and possibly some set up help? Let me know if your available for some of these light duties. :)  We will bring the lap top and a webcam, (and hopefully we get wireless access), but we will bring sawlex to the forum as it happens for those of you that can't be there in person.  Pictures, postings and video clips.  :)

Keep a look out to the new Sawmill & Woodlot sponsors board for upcoming info on sawlex direct from the source!

lmbeachy

Never been there,but going to try to make it this year. Looking forward to meeting some of you and a good time looking at all the equipment.
hotfoot

Nancbee

Here are a few campgrounds for SAWLEX to check out. I'm not a camper so am not familiar with any of them but this will give you something to start with.

I'm looking forward to seeing you all there!
Nancy, Sawmill & Woodlot Magazine

Area Campgrounds

Sesquecentennial State Park
9564 Two Notch Road
Columbia, SC 29223
Phone: 803-788-2706
www.southcarolinaparks.com/park-finder/state-park/469.aspx

Barnyard RV Park
201 Oak Drive
Lexington, SC 29072
800-633-6351
www.barnyardrvpark.com

Dreher Island State Park
2677 State Park Road
Prosperity, SC 29127
803-364-4152

Wood Smoke Family Campground
11300 Broad River Road
Irmo, SC 29063
803-781-3451
Nancy B. Limberis
Circulation Manager
Sawmill & Woodlot Magazine

thecfarm

Nancbee,will you be at the Bangor,Me show in May?I will be there on Friday.I don't really know how much a like this show is like SAWLEX.I have a great time at the one in Bangor.Took a vacation day to go.If anyone is thinking about going,you have to make it,it's a great time.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Nancbee

Yes, I will be in Bangor. Stop by our booth in the Civic Center and say Hi!
Nancy
Nancy B. Limberis
Circulation Manager
Sawmill & Woodlot Magazine

oakiemac

Hey Furby, you heading down the the Sawlex? Maybe we could grab Stumpjumper and head on down to the southern regions. :)
Mobile Demension sawmill, Bobcat 873 loader, 3 dry kilns and a long "to do" list.

Furby

I have to work and that time of year as well as Fridays are our busiest time.
Odds are better then 99% that I'll be tied up. :-\ :'(
However, if they give me the ok the night before, I'm thinking about heading down on a fast track.
Could do it if I drove straight through. ;D

oakiemac

Forget all that work nonsense.  ;D Let's go to the Sawlex!
Mobile Demension sawmill, Bobcat 873 loader, 3 dry kilns and a long "to do" list.

Furby

If I could spare the time and $, I'd take a week or better off.
I just can't at this point.
I figure if I run down the night before, I can head out and visit sliding rock Sat. evening and then spend Sunday in the Great Smoky Mountains N.P. before heading home. ;D

DanG

Oakiemac has the right idea!  Carpooling with other Forum members is a hoot in itself.  Tom, FDH, GareyD and I did it for Sawlex '05, then Woodbowl, Tnlogger and I did it for the Piggy Roast last year.  The traveling was just about as much fun as the destination! 8) 8)  Sharing the gas expense and motel rooms made it reasonable, but, best of all it made it possible for us to go.  I don't think any of us would have made either of those trips if we hadn't gotten together. :)
"I don't feel like an old man.  I feel like a young man who has something wrong with him."  Dick Cavett
"Beat not thy sword into a plowshare, rather beat the sword of thine enemy into a plowshare."

oakiemac

Yeah car pooling would  be great. I understand if you cant go Furby-I might not make it either. If I do go it will be a last minute type thing.

Course, if a bunch of FF members happen to swing by my place on their way south then I might just have to jump in the truck. We could probably pick up a few more on the way south. Might need a  bus by time we get there. :D

Thank You Sponsors!