iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Sycamore: Does Spalting Affect Ray/Fleck?

Started by PC-Urban-Sawyer, April 18, 2007, 01:47:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

PC-Urban-Sawyer

I have several sycamore logs and a stump that I plan to use for furniture and flooring. Naturally I plan to quartersaw the logs (I will be making two slabs from the center of each of the largest logs and the stump to use in construction of a major desktop. Since they will be vertically grained they should display ray markings or fleck as well as the thinner boards that will be sawn from the remainding logs...).

Several of the logs and the stump appear to show early signs of spalting. I think that allowing the spalt to develop significantly would add a lot of character to the slabs but wonder what, if any, effect it might have on the (much hoped for) rays / fleck?  ???

Larry

It's hard to get spalt to develop uniformly from the bark to the pith in a log.  A typical quarter sawn board out of spalted sycamore may be beyond use on the bark side and show no spalt near the pith.  Most probably you will only see a couple of inches good spalt with typical fleck. 

Sold about 300 bf of spalted sycamore the other day...scheduled for pickup Saturday.  I know some is quarter sawn so I'll see if I can get some good pictures when I pull boards.
Larry, making useful and beautiful things out of the most environmental friendly material on the planet.

We need to insure our customers understand the importance of our craft.

Thank You Sponsors!