iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Production rate

Started by mullenp, April 17, 2007, 05:26:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mullenp

If a mill can cut up to 200bf per hour, what would the production rate be in cubic metres in an eight hour day?  ???

Sorry, but there are no prizes available.  :'(

Life is not a test, you will not be judged, Go hard, have fun, play safe.

jim king

A cubic meter has 424 bf of sawn lumber.  Hurry just a little and you will have half a cubic meter per hour.

A cubic meter of logs is 220 bf.

Tom

I'm glad you clarified the Cubes, Jim.  I didn't quite know how to answer.  But, I did want to say that a Machine that can cut 200bf per hour doesn't necessarily cut 1600bf per eight hour day.

There are too many other things that enter into the equation.  The help, operator included, is not as sharp in hour 6 as he was in hour 2.  Also, when you finish a day of sawying, you aren't through.  You still have maintenance, disposal of scrap, cleaning saw area and stacking/moving lumber.   Do you Quit at hour 5 so that you can finish at hour 8 or do you drive yourself to get all out of the mill that you can and then let it sit idle the next day as you catch up and stack wood?   Sometimes the amount of wood that a mill is capable of cutting has less meaning than we recognize in a glance.  It might be important that you cut the days wood in one hour.  You have to measure the whole job and your expectations to determine what a mill is going to cut in a day.

mullenp

Quote from: jim king on April 17, 2007, 05:31:36 PM
A cubic meter has 424 bf of sawn lumber.  Hurry just a little and you will have half a cubic meter per hour.

A cubic meter of logs is 220 bf.

Thanks for that Jim, you have just confirmed what I have been told by someone else.  :)

mullenp

Thanks Tom.

I fully understand and appreciate that production rates are not set in stone as there are too many variables to take into consideration, some of which you have mentioned. However, the purpose of my question doesn't require going into that much depth. Cheers.  :)

Thank You Sponsors!