iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Fire somewhere

Started by Tom, April 17, 2007, 01:19:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

CHARLIE

Fire somewhere else too!  Florida and Georgia ain't the only ones that have a big fire going.  One heckuva fire has been going on in the BWCA (Boundary Waters Canoe Area) in Minnesota up by Canada on the Gunfling Trail. Fire started in Minnesota and moved into Canada too. Over 60,000 acres in flames and over 100 buildings burned including some multi million dollar ones (I assume those were lodges).  I believe they have over 900 firefighters right now from Minnesota, Wisconsin, Michigan and Canada.  It's been dry and the wind has been pushing the fire all over the place. A lot of resorts will go under because even if their houses, cabins and lodges survive, who will want to stay at a resort that is in the middle of a burned up forest. The DanG thing was started by someone careless with a campfire where there was not supposed to be any. This fire has been going over a week now.
Charlie
"Everybody was gone when I arrived but I decided to stick around until I could figure out why I was there !"

SwampDonkey

Going to snow between tonight and tomorrow, that should dampen a few fires.  ;D

Going to be wet and cold in the bushes.  ::) Summer (80's and 90) one week and winter (30-60) the next.  burr... :-\
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

jbeat

Saw a map of Florida with flame icons marking locations of fires. Heck, it looks like fire "everywhere". The dense smoke has to be exceptionally difficult for the older folks. Hope rain is in the forecast for you people.
John B

CHARLIE

The fire in the Minnesota BWCA and Canada is called the Ham Lake fire. The paper today said that it had burned over 78,000 acres so far.  The firefighters have the Minnesota side of the fire about 50% contained and feel that they will soon have it contained barring something drastic happening.  The part of the fire that jumped to Canada is still burning pretty good but they are expecting some rain, which should help.  Over 130 buildings burned along the Gunfling Trail.

78,000 acres of trees is a lot of trees! :o 
Charlie
"Everybody was gone when I arrived but I decided to stick around until I could figure out why I was there !"

DanG

Yep, 78,000 acres is a bunch of trees.  The Ga-Fla fire has now consumed 250,000 acres of trees.  That's a WHOLE bunch of trees!  The meteorological prognosticators are not promising much precipitation in the near future, either. :-\
"I don't feel like an old man.  I feel like a young man who has something wrong with him."  Dick Cavett
"Beat not thy sword into a plowshare, rather beat the sword of thine enemy into a plowshare."

Carries-Mom

Had lots of smoke coming up from West Palm Beach and other areas nearby.  Now that they finally got rain, that has helped the smoke.  Suppose'ta get rain today, but I'll believe it when I see it.   :o

Tom

So far, our rain has barely wet the deck. 

Carries-Mom

At least you got some.  Right now, people are mowing dirt just to keep themselves busy. :D :D

Lanier_Lurker

The winds have shifted, and now we are getting the smoke all the way up here at Lake Lanier.

This stuff stinks.  I can only guess how bad it must be within 50 miles of the fires.  It is bad enough nearly 300 miles away.

sandmar

Yep it's true,I am 40 miles north of Atlanta and they have a code orange air alert...whatever that is.....for people with breathing problems. It is an odd smell outside,like smoke run through a filter........or Tom grilling steaks  ::).......just saying  ;D Hope this situation is over soon. I can't remember crunchy grass before June in a long long time.
Sandmar

WDH

A couple of pics of the fire near Waycross, GA.

Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Radar67

Did the recent rain help the fires?

Stew
"A man's time is the most valuable gift he can give another." TOM

If he can cling to his Blackberry, I can cling to my guns... Me

This will kill you, that will kill you, heck...life will kill you, but you got to live it!

"The man who can comprehend the why, can create the how." SFC J

Tom

While there are no reports yet of the rain putting the fires out, I'm sure that rain and humidity were a great relief to fire-fighters.   Some of the fires got heavy rain, some got none.  Rain in these parts can be localized and locals can tell you many stories of storms that don't cross rivers or big hi-ways.  I guess we'll have to wait a day, or so, to see what the results have been.  More Rain can't hurt. We have dry wells too.

Lanier_Lurker

Well well,

We finally had a little shower move through here a little while ago.  Probably not more than 1/10th inch, but I'll take it.

Tom

12:30 pm and the sky turned black and the wind blew and lightening lit the landscape like a horror movie.  It rained!   It rained hard and the wind blew so hard that it was atomizing the drops and sheets of "fog" were blowing horizontally across my window.

1:15 pm and the sun is coming out as if nothing happened.  It's the same kind of feeling as one would get when goosed.  Mother Nature is Goosing us.  I jumped and raised up on my tip-toes, looked behind me, but there was nobody there.  Glad I'm inside.  Glad I'm not a coon away from my den. :D

WDH

Let it rain, and let it rain some more ::).
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

SwampDonkey

Well it's been drizzle here today, but it's dry under the yard trees. So that tells ya how bad it is.  I could sit out under the trees right now and never feel a drop. ;)
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Thank You Sponsors!