iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Fire somewhere

Started by Tom, April 17, 2007, 01:19:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tom

the smoke is so thick outside that you can hardly breathe.  The reason we are in smoke in Jacksonville is because of a fire in Georgia somewhere.   That is the only information I've been able to scavenge.  Sure would like to know where it is.   It must be a big one.

Fla._Deadheader

All truth passes through three stages:
   First, it is ridiculed;
   Second, it is violently opposed; and
   Third, it is accepted as self-evident.

-- Arthur Schopenhauer (1788-1860)

Tom

That looks like the culprit, deadheader.  I never thought to look at a Satelite.  Good show!

That smoke is almost in Waycross, Georgia, about 60+ miles north of me.

brdmkr

That is a fairly substantial wildfire.  It has been in the news for a few days.
Lucas 618  Mahindra 4110, FEL and pallet forks, some cant hooks, and a dose of want-to

Tom

I've not seen it in our news.  I guess I'm out of touch.
The local stations are busy giving National news.  I get my local stuff through the Costa Rican Branch.

Glad I'm not the one having to fight it in this wind.

Fla._Deadheader

Mucho Gusto, Senor   smiley_idea  fred_head
All truth passes through three stages:
   First, it is ridiculed;
   Second, it is violently opposed; and
   Third, it is accepted as self-evident.

-- Arthur Schopenhauer (1788-1860)

Tom

Today we had a lot of smoke.  More than normal.  The fires are still burning.

It's 5pm now and the sun is a little lower in the sky causing the atmosphere to be yellow and the green leaves and grass to take on a funny lime color.  There is still a lot of smoke and the warnings are out for folks to stay inside, especially those with respiratory ills.   I guess, when a there is a forest fire, you can't know what is in the smoke.

It's dry as popcorn and no rain in sight.  The 30 mph winds don't help either.  The air is pretty thick with particulate and it's felt like dusk for the last couple of hours.

Chris Burchfield

Tom, I don't know what grade air filter your using in the AC or when you last changed it, it may be something to consider. Spring and fall during pollen season I change about twice a month instead of once a month. The higher dollar filters won't eliminate the smoke odor that has made it's way into your house, but it will remove some of the stuff that would deposit in your sinus cavity. I pray for a rain for the troops fightin it and the folks being subjected to it.
Woodmizer LT40SH W/Command Control; 51HP Cat, Memphis TN.

Tom

I don't  have a problem with the A/C, but thanks Chris.  Yes the smoke is getting into the house some, but I expect it with the volume of smoke outside.  The warnings are public announcements to keep the elderly and ill inside.   I have chosen to use that as an excuse to stay inside as well.  :D

Those fighting the fire sure have a job on their hands.  I don't envy them one bit and am glad that there are people who go out and do that job.   Unfortunately, it doesn't look like they are going to get any help anytime soon.  We've had no rain in weeks and very little in months.  There is none expected in the near future.  One of the local fears is that the fire will get into the Okeefenokee Swamp. That is a Peat bog that is deep enough that it will burn under water.   Right now the swamp is pretty dry, as well as the country around it, which consist mostly of pine plantation for miles.  That's what we do around here, grow pines.

See that link above in Harold's post?  The one that has "Smoke" in it written in blue, or Click this link?   That will give you a satelite picture of the plume of smoke that is coming off of the fire, up around Waycross, Georgia and Blowing over SE Georgia and the Jacksonville area, on out into the ocean.

That entire area is threatened with wildfire because of the dryness and wind.  It's about 80 or 90 miles from the head of the fire to the Ocean's beach to the east of Jacksonville.

Chris Burchfield

Saw the Sat. Pic. prior to the post. I kept up with the progress of the wildfires out west last summer via. Sat. Pics.
Woodmizer LT40SH W/Command Control; 51HP Cat, Memphis TN.

Tom

Satellite is pretty cool, isn't it?   It wasn't long ago we would have had to depend on the 6:00 news on the Radio. :D

Teri

we are getting the smoke all the way down here. earlier today it was bad,but right now it seems to be letting up some...

Tom

That Smoke is making a 280 mile trip if you're getting it there.   Wow!

Teri

I thought we had a fire close by, but I pulled up the local weather/radar for this area and thats where I saw that they had posted the smoke advisory from the Ga. fires.

getoverit

Since You and I are such good friends and I live between you and the fire, I decided to send you some of the smoke I am seeing up here so that you could share in it also. :D

Friends are good for things like that ;)

I just hope the fire stays in Georgia.....
I'm a lumberjack and I'm ok, I work all night and sleep all day

Tom

So you're the culprit? :D

inspectorwoody

GA Fire

Here is the story I found in our local news paper.

Bro. Noble

My son-in-law said that they were getting a crew from the Mark Twain Forest to go fight that Georgia fire  but he wasn't free to go.
milking and logging and sawing and milking

Carries-Mom

on the news this morning, they said that we will be seeing the smoke from that fire for a couple of more days or so.  My hubby and I went for a motorcycle ride yesterday, and the smoke was thicker in some places than others... also found some burnt up trees  from a couple of fires we had around here last week. >:(

Dodgy Loner

The fire was on CNN all of last week.  I have cousins in Waycross that have been out of school for the last 9 days.  Fortunately, the city itself isn't in any danger.
"There is hardly anything in the world that some man cannot make a little worse and sell a little cheaper, and the people who consider price only are this man's lawful prey." -John Ruskin

Any idiot can write a woodworking blog. Here's mine.

Tom

That's probably one reason I didn't see it on TV.  I wouldn't let CNN's signal  leave the confines of the transmission lines on my property.

Mooseherder

If'n don't rain soon dat fiar will keep marching on down here. :-[

WDH

No real break in the dry weather either, I hear.
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

DanG

Just heard on the LOCAL news that there is a new fire in Atkinson County, north of Valdosta.  They seem concerned about it.  The Weatherguesser says we might not get significant rainfall for another month!
"I don't feel like an old man.  I feel like a young man who has something wrong with him."  Dick Cavett
"Beat not thy sword into a plowshare, rather beat the sword of thine enemy into a plowshare."

WDH

There goes the garden >:(.
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Thank You Sponsors!