iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

WINTERY SCENE

Started by chet, March 11, 2003, 09:24:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

chet

Eh, Wit all da talk about all dis vinter veather lately I dug up dis old picture. Any you'se guys or gals know what kind of vintertime contraption da horses are pullin'.

I am a true TREE HUGGER, if I didnt I would fall out!  chet the RETIRED arborist

CHARLIE

Looks like some kind of Army personnel carrier or maybe a tank...... ::)
Charlie
"Everybody was gone when I arrived but I decided to stick around until I could figure out why I was there !"

Mark M

Ya I tink dats a cotton-picker Chet

biziedizie

Looks heavy and from the way I counted it takes 12 horse power to pull it!.........Could you imagine living like that today where it would take forever to get simple things done? Would be great if you were paid by the hour but if it was contract work it would suck!

Steve

chet

Yes the contraption is very heavy. The picture does not show the machine very well.  There is a big wide wheel in front on each side. On the back there is one big wheel that bridges the path left by the two front wheels. This machine was only used in winter.
I am a true TREE HUGGER, if I didnt I would fall out!  chet the RETIRED arborist

Minnesota_boy

This contraption wouldn't have anything to do with iced haul roads would it?  Something like setting a pair of sled runner paths and packing the snow between them so the sled wouldn't drag?
I eat a high-fiber diet.  Lots of sawdust!

dan-l-b

Ah Magoo, aaa...Minnesota-boy, you've done it again.  My bets with you.

chet

Yur git'n very warm, fact is purty Dang hot.  ;)   It really had nothing to do with da logging camps. But they may have taken advantage of what it had done.

Mark M

Must be a steam - er I mean snow roller for da roads eh?

chet

Yup dat's what it was.   8)   Not steam though, just a big heavy roller. It was used in the Keewanaw Peninsula of Michigan on town and country roads. In them days they had no way to plow snow at great depths cheeply. The Keewanaw gets lots of snow, the record being 390.4". This machine would PANK da snow, combined with the cold weather it would make a very hard surface. The large crew would hand shovel the largest drifts so the horses could get through. The proper name for this contraption is a SNOW PANKER.

Thank You Sponsors!