iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Need portable mill operator in West Virginia to saw cross ties

Started by customphotobook, April 16, 2007, 09:43:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

customphotobook

We have a lot of oak (200,000 bf standing 16" diam and up) that we are getting cut, and need a portable sawyer who is full time available to cut oak for cross ties and random width for flooring.  We estimate starting cutting within the next 30 days or so.  The mill could be kept at our location evening and weekend if needed, as there is usually someone always there.

We are located in geographic center of West Virginia, 12 miles from interstate 79, an hour north of Charleston, West Virginia.  Please reply if you are interested.

woodhick

Not sure I can help you but PM me some more details on location and what you need.  I am located in Hurricane about 30 miles West of Charleston.  I only cut part time but may know some others.
Woodmizer LT40 Super 42hp Kubota, and more heavy iron woodworking equipment than I have room for.

two saw

Man I would love to get in on that but I am about 1 hour west of Morgantown in Mineral county. Don't suppose you want to truck them over here do you? :)
D&L TS 36 DTH twin saw

Part_Timer

Glad to see you found the forum.  I was going to email back tonight but thought that this would be easier. 

Best of luck finding someone, this is the best place to start looking that's for sure.

Tom ( salvage creek timber)
Peterson 8" ATS.
The only place success comes before work is in the dictionary.

two saw

There is a Koppers plant only 16 miles from me also.
don't know if that is who you are going to sell to or not, just trying to help.

D&L TS 36 DTH twin saw

JimMoore

I am new to milling but if you send me a PM with some more details on location and what you need I will see what I can do.  I am Clarksburg Wv 26301

Ron Wenrich

I can't really help you with your sawing, but there may be a few things you want to look at before you plow into the sawing.

If you are sawing chestnut oak or white oak, the grade markets are pretty good for your uppers.  Unless you have a particular market you are trying to reach with the flooring, it would pay better to sell your uppers.  Keep the lowers for flooring.

Veneer markets are still good for both red oak and white oak.  For most trees, 2/3 of a tree's log value is often in the best log.  You'll make more money selling veneer than sawing them. 
Never under estimate the power of stupid people in large groups.

customphotobook

Do you know of anyone who'd like to buy an old Corely portable belt driven working circular sawmill?  It has its own big diesel power unit, carriage, tracks, etc.  My dad passed away on March 11th.  He was 82.  We'd like to get it to a good home so it can feel useful again  :)  They call those things portable, and don't ask me why 'cause if it was, I wouldn't be on this forum trying to find a sawyer with a REAL portable mill.   

Moderator:  Can I post the Corely in this location as well, or should I do in another area?

We don't plan on having the veneer sawn.  We had some ice damage a couple of years ago, and some big oaks went by the wayside.  I'd like to get those slabbed for table tops.  We have some real nice oak, white, red, scarlet, black, chestnut still standing and possible good veneer.  We have it under forest management plan.  The place that takes the cross ties and poplar posts is about 17 miles from us located in Sutton WV.  I had them fax the pricing to us.  I called and questioned them about the cross-ties and confirmed that they will accept mutliple ties cut from one log.  As long as the tie doesn't "bow" it's okay.  When it comes to switch ties, the real long ones up to 17 feet, they have to be cut from one log.

Regarding the veneer market, there is such a discrepancy in pricing and quotes.  I've heard that white oak is commanding good prices but where are the buyers???  One veneer buyer contacted us and said he'd consider buying in the summer, and I said "Yeah, we'd have to "wick" the tree by leaving the top on with branches to help expire the moisture evenly.  To protect the wood for sure, we would need to paint the ends.  So, it got me to thinking "What is the best product to paint the ends with to help with checking and preserve the value"?

What is considered a good price from a mill on oak random width cuts for flooring?

We have 300 acres of forested land, and FREE natural gas.  We're hoping to build some wood drying kilns, and make them available to the community at a reasonable rate (since the gas is free to us) to help promote people to do something more with their logs then just send them to China and Japan! 

JimMoore - how much do you charge for sawing on location and what type of mill do you have?

Tom at Salvage Creek - Thanks!!!

I haven't done forums before, so not sure as to how to reach people to chat with them in person.  I'd like to get some more information from the people who replied.  If you'd like, you can go to our website at customphotobook dot com and call me at the number located there or submit your information through our form.

Dan_Shade

welcome to the forestry forum!

anchor seal is an outstanding end  sealer, it can be purchased from www.uccoatings.com
Woodmizer LT40HDG25 / Stihl 066 alaskan
lots of dull bands and chains

There's a fine line between turning firewood into beautiful things and beautiful things into firewood.

Ron Wenrich

The grade markets for red oak can go from $350 to $875, depending on grade.  For white oak, it can go from $350 to $1400, depending on grade.  Your upper grades don't go for flooring and command a better price.

Multiple ties are OK if the log supports it from a grade standpoint.  White oak is better to make only one tie per log since the market is really good.  Red oak would depend how much good quality is in the log.  I rarely cut an oak log into 2 or more ties.  It also depends on how tough your tie buyer is.  Mine gives me no rejects, and I give him no junk. 

We have veneer buyers in on a weekly basis.  We can sell just about anything that has the value for a better price than sawing.  We just sold a bunch of black birch.  You have to find these buyers, and your state forestry department is a good place to start.  We don't end seal any of our logs.

To send anyone a private message, look on the part of the message where there is an "S" shaped thing in the lower left corner, right above "members gallery".  Hit that and you can send a private message.
Never under estimate the power of stupid people in large groups.

BBTom

CustomPhotobook,

Glad to see you found the Forum.  Hopefully you can find someone that can do the job right without too much travel expenses. 

The Forum has a Commercial area to post for sale items.  You could also check out sawmillexchange.com.

Welcome to the best forestry/sawmilling forum on the net.

Tom Baumberger
2001 LT40HDD42RA with lubemizer, debarker, laser, accuset. Retired, but building a new shop and home in Missouri.

brooksmill

Two Saw:  Where are you at in Mineral Co.  I'm in Grant Co.

two saw

Brooksmill I am in Fort Ashby.
about 16 miles form Romney.
I pm'd you and asked a couple questions.
got to go to work now
re-pm me when you get a chance.
Thanks.
D&L TS 36 DTH twin saw

brucetp

Hey customphotobook,
Just wondering if you found someone.  I sent you a PM a few days ago. 

Thanks!!
Bruce
Wood-Mizer LT40 HDG28

woodhick

Customphoto, I would love to help you out but that's too big a job for my part time operation.  I am spreading the word though.
Woodmizer LT40 Super 42hp Kubota, and more heavy iron woodworking equipment than I have room for.

LOGDOG

Hey CustomPhotoBook,

I sent you a PM a few days ago as well. I'm working on buying a million board feet up your way and could very well accomadate you. PM me or e-mail me. My e-mail is in my profile.

Thanks,

LOGDOG

Thank You Sponsors!