iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Mucky, mucky, mucky!

Started by DanG, March 11, 2003, 07:58:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DanG

Just in case y'all hadn't heard, it's mucky around here. I DonT know what the oh-fishal figgers are, but a buddy of mine has measured 14 inches of rain in the last 2 weeks.  

I came home, on time for a change, to play with my new toy. I had parked the forklift in front of the shop, because it has a leaky tire. The ground was solid, there, when I parked it Sunday eve. When I got to it today, it was stuck...just sunk right into the dirt! :-/   I crunk her up and give her the gas, and she just set there and spun. Before things got too bad, I hooked up the winch on the truck, and set to pullin' it out.  I had poked a coupla pieces of firewood behind the truck wheels, but it just dragged the truck right over'em. I supplemented them with some 2x lumber, and they didn't slip. Instead, the truck pushed the chocks into the ground. The forklift never moved. Not to be defeated, I chained the front of the truck to an oak tree.  The forklift came out! ;D

I drove it around to where Harold, Ed, and I had dumped the pecan logs, to move them to their proper place, and, lo and behold, about 400bf of pine was laying there, too. Turns out that Son-in-law made another trip to the dump, and brung back more than he went with. 8)

I got most of it moved, but busted a hydraulic hose on the tilt.  Took it back to the shop, and found that the hoses were so old, they were wrapped with cloth!  I'll pull them tomorrow, and have "Sweetie" take them to the tractor shop to have new ones made. Fortunately, they're only about a foot long, and easy to remove.(famous last words!)  I should be back in bizness by the weekend. Of course, we're supposed to have more rain, by then. :'(
"I don't feel like an old man.  I feel like a young man who has something wrong with him."  Dick Cavett
"Beat not thy sword into a plowshare, rather beat the sword of thine enemy into a plowshare."

Fla._Deadheader

DanG, we stopped by to visit Fred's partner in Live Oak, after we left your place. He dumped 6 inches out of the rain gauge from Sat. night. They won't get into the water till June !!
  Thought ya said that was SOLID ground where you live ?? :D :D :D  I'd be lookin for flotation tires for that lift thingy.
  Why DonTcha tell the guys about UNloadin the "toy"??
All truth passes through three stages:
   First, it is ridiculed;
   Second, it is violently opposed; and
   Third, it is accepted as self-evident.

-- Arthur Schopenhauer (1788-1860)

Paul_H

DanG,
It sounds like you have a cool project and a good addition to your milling enterprise.Half the fun is getting a good deal and doing it yourself.

The mud can suck the fun out of it though :-/
Science isn't meant to be trusted it's to be tested

Fla._Deadheader

In DanG's case, I Don'T think so. I never heard a guy laugh so much. I bet he was laughin while riggin the tow truck up, wallerin in that SOLID ground !! ::) :D :D
All truth passes through three stages:
   First, it is ridiculed;
   Second, it is violently opposed; and
   Third, it is accepted as self-evident.

-- Arthur Schopenhauer (1788-1860)

DanG

You got me figgered, DH. If it ain't fun, it just ain't worth muckin' with!  I had a great time strapping that truck to the tree, and watching that Mile-Marker drag the forklift out. The tree wasn't directly in front of the truck, so it just slid the truck side-ways, till it was lined up. If I'd hooked it up higher, it might have suspended the truck between the chain and the cable. THAT woulda been worth a picture.

BTW, I may have to wait till it dries out before I can move the truck! :o
"I don't feel like an old man.  I feel like a young man who has something wrong with him."  Dick Cavett
"Beat not thy sword into a plowshare, rather beat the sword of thine enemy into a plowshare."

Thank You Sponsors!