iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

drive belt question

Started by C L FARMS, April 16, 2007, 02:28:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

C L FARMS

my mill engages the blade with the use of an idler pulley that you engage to apply tension to the belt.  my question is are there special types of belts that slip properly, i switched out my belts w/ standard automotive ones and they don't let the belt slp on the drive pulley.

Gary_C

That is the first time I've heard anyone that wanted a belt that would "slip properly."   :)

Usually there is a stationary peg next to the drive pulley that will hold the belt away from the spinning pulley when there is no tension on the belt. Other than that peg, there is no other style of belt for designated slipping. You may not have exactly the right belt and that could cause a problem.
Never take life seriously. Nobody gets out alive anyway.

Tom

If you are using the proper sized belt, it should work.  The problem is usually that the new belt is stiff and makes too tight a contact with the driven pulley even when the clutch pressure is released.  I have had to make a jig to hold the belt off of the pulley on one of my engines.  It is ust a piece of metal that the belt hits when it is released and it keeps the v from dragging in the pulley.  I put them on the outside perimeter, not on the inside of the belt.

First, make sure that you are using the right sized belt and that it is tensioned properly to release from the drive pulley.

rewimmer

Hello C L Farms,
I noticed you stated "automotive belts". The angels on automotive belts are different than industrial belts. That may be one of your problems. I worked on machinery for about 40 years and most drive systems take industrial belts.
My mill takes a industrial drive belt and the band wheels also take the industrial belts.
Any belt supplier can furnish the specs or your mill manufacturer also should be of help.
Robert in Virginia

Larry

If your using a cog type belt they are not recommended for clutch applications using an idler pulley...far to grabby.  Other than that if the belt is the right size it should work unless there is something out of adjustment.

Larry, making useful and beautiful things out of the most environmental friendly material on the planet.

We need to insure our customers understand the importance of our craft.

Firebass

Quote from: Larry on April 16, 2007, 06:15:11 PM
If your using a cog type belt they are not recommended for clutch applications using an idler pulley

I second the cog belt not recommended.  The sharp edges act like Siping cuts in a tire they are made for traction.

Never heard of industrial belts being different although they could be.  I buy allot of my Industrial Supplies from McMaster-Carr.  They have a web site that is very informative on things like belts.  If you haven't ever checked this site its worth a visit.  http://www.mcmaster.com/  They stock about everything they list and ship almost instantly. :P

C L FARMS

HI GUYS THANX FOR THE REPLIES, MY MILL IS THE AN OLD BAKER 30M, FROM BACK WHEN THEY WERE PAINTED RED (ENERCRAFT), I MAY HAVE PUT MY BELT ON THE WRONG SIDE OF THAT IDLER PIN DOES IT GO ON THE OUTSIDE OR THE INSIDE OF IT?

olyman

cl--your start of thread was ok--your second response--was done in capital letters--internet courtesy says thats shouting---please remove caps--its hard to read also--

Slabs

CL

I had a similar problem with an old Wheel Horse lawn tractor that I was given short some of the parts.  I re-engined it and found the same problem that Tom and Gary described.  I think you described a situation that caused a "run-on" during Idle.  The pegs to hold the belt off the drive pulley are important on those devices that clutches with belt tension.
Slabs  : Offloader, slab and sawdust Mexican, mill mechanic and electrician, general flunky.  Woodshop, metal woorking shop and electronics shop.

Thank You Sponsors!