iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

getting started again

Started by hiya, March 11, 2003, 04:39:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

hiya

Fla_deadheared I was thinking about you down there, with all this snow, I was able to get a clutch and trans. With these dumb frontwheel drives I have to use the whoke trans axel.and the drive axels. I will have to lock up the one side and put a pulley and pillow block on the other. what pulley sizes are you using and what do you use to get the right band speed? I was thinking of a tach.
I liked the way your clutch and short shaft looks.
richard
RichardinMd.

Fla._Deadheader

Surely you can do better than a transaxle. I have taken an aircraft generator and mounted it to a Mazda transmission including using the Mazda clutch and pressure plate, for an electric drive pick-up. Took the same truck and mounted it to a Wisconsin V-4 and used the same clutch and pressure plate, for an aircooled pick-up. It AIN'T all that difficult. Make yer own bell housing and use yer own shaft and pulley system. If you don't have a clutch with yer engine, use the centrifugal. Have a machine shop fashion a shaft that is attached to the flex plate, instead of the torque converter. Make a bell housing to fit the engine. You already have the pattern from the trans axle !!
  I hooked up a mechanical governor and used a dwell-tach to get the rpm's where I wanted them. Then I drilled the throttle control arm, so it can't get above the rpm I want.
  There is a formula for figuring the pulley sizes. It's at the shop. I will TRY to get it tomorrow and post it for you tomorrow night.
  How far have you gotten with yer mill?? Where's the pics ??
All truth passes through three stages:
   First, it is ridiculed;
   Second, it is violently opposed; and
   Third, it is accepted as self-evident.

-- Arthur Schopenhauer (1788-1860)

Fla._Deadheader

Here is the formula for finding pulley size for you particular engine. You are shooting for a MINIMUM of 4500 surface feet per minute up to 5800 for a maximum. This is for Timberwolf blades from Suffolk Machinery.  
Motor RPM X Motor pulley dia. divided by Driven pulley Dia. X Band wheel Dia. X 3.1416 Divided by 12 = SFPM.
Can't find the Divided by symbol on the keyboard ??
   First, it is ridiculed;

hiya

I've been thinking about doing something different instead of the transaxel. I may try cutting the bellhousing off the transaxel. Have to look at it some more. and weld a piece to the shaft if need be.
I may have to wait another week.This Sat. there is a consignment sale at the fair grounds. Lots of machinery mowers, & tools.
thanks for your help.
btw I lived in Immokalee for a year. (long time ago).
RichardinMd.

Weekend_Sawyer

Heya Hiya!

We are practically (or however you spell that) neighbors!
I am over here in Laurel. I will be stopping by the fairgrounds tonight to check out the tractors and junk but will probably be doing tile work all weekend. That is only if the homeowner comes up with his discontinued, only have a few boxes, from Mexico, tile he wants me to install. It is nice tile but we are talking about a shower stall.

But I digress (or however you spell that too) If I don't have to work I plan on being over by the tractors around 1:00. That is when they start on them. I will be the 6'1" 260lb (or so) guy proudly wearing my Forestry Forum hat!

Jeff, can you install a spell checker??

Jon
Imagine, Me a Tree Farmer.
Jon, Appalachian American Wannabe.

Jeff

Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

Weekend_Sawyer

If I am going to type a long post I usually type it in MS Word and then cut and paste it here. Works well but we argue about grammar ;)
Imagine, Me a Tree Farmer.
Jon, Appalachian American Wannabe.

biziedizie

As long as it's some what readable I say it's good enough to post!  :)
  The other day on the ferry I was goofing around with my cell phone and I changed the language to Spanish and that was sure hard to read! Had a hell of a time changing it back as I couldn't understand what the words were!

Steve

Gordon

I saw laural and I thought that we might be talking eastern shore. Well guess not.

Some day you-all need to come over to Gods country.

Gordon

Dave_Fullmer

Harold,
Use the slash mark under the question mark for divide by.

Dave
If it aint Orange (AC that is) it won't run.

Fla._Deadheader

Where ya been lately, Dave?? Haven't seen ya posting??
  Somewhere, I have a list of all the different symbols and how to make them, using the alt key and numbers. Cain't find it ?? :'(

°  ™  ¢  ©  ®  ¼  ½  ¾   Brain just shorted out.  ::)  That's all ya get  ;D
   First, it is ridiculed;

Dave_Fullmer

Harold,
I've been busier than the proverbial beaver.  Been trying to get the motor home ready for a trip this coming weekend, been working out the bugs in the design of my mill, and am still going to school.  

The motor home had a freeze up problem because some idiot forgot to winterize soon enough. (Don't know who that was) :D :D
 Had to tear out a small section of paneling under the entrance to the tub to get at the broken pipe.  Then the furnace wouldn't light.  The fan would come on but the circuit would not get through the purge portion and light.  I go to pick it up from the RV place this afternoon.

Now the generator won't run unless I squirt gas into the carb throat.  I think I'll be able to get it perking tonight.

Now if I can afford the gas to get to East Tenn this weekend.

I did finally find a digital camera that I will take acceptable pictures.  Tonight I am going to try to put a couple of pics on the board of what progress I've made on the mill.  We'll see how that goes.

After Friday, I will not be able to get on the board for the next 2 weeks.  Wife and I are headed to Johnson City area to put doors and windows in a old cabin at a Children's Bible camp over there.  We were there in September and promised to go back this spring for the other cabin.  Going to take my laptop, but I don't think I'll be able to get on line.  

Talk to you later,

Dave
If it aint Orange (AC that is) it won't run.

Fla._Deadheader

Freeze-ups?? Seems I heard about that phenomenon somewhere?? Isn't that what you make for yer kids, in the freezer?? Oh, sorry, that's freeze POPS. ::)
  Guess y'all have been busy. Have a safe trip. ;)
   First, it is ridiculed;

hiya

Was able to work on the mill today. I took the trans apart and took out all the gears and the back off. now the shaft sticks out have to get a pulley yey abd belt. had to move the motod ahead 3 inches to line up with the wheel pulley. I also want to get two spair wheels (the narrow ones). The tires I have on now are too wide. I have trouble tracking. When I get done I will get my minister to take pics with hts digital .
RichardinMd.

Fla._Deadheader

On yer tracking problem, use the old Nascar trick; a piece of string. Fasten it to the back side of one tire. Then go around to the front side and then over to the other tire and then fasten it to the back side of the second tire. Now adjust whichever tire can be adjusted, till the string just BARELY touches all four edges of the tires. The blade will now stay on, unless ya Don'T have enough "crown" in yer tires. I inflate mine to 50 pounds. I had the blade run off the front of the guide rollers, and it STILL didn't come off the tires!! ;)
   First, it is ridiculed;

Oregon_Sawyer

Hiya;

Have your minister come over ahead of time and pray for it! ;D

And then after the mirracle take a picture.
Sawing with a WM since 98. LT 70 42hp Kubota walk behind. 518 Skidder. Ramey Log Loader. Serious part-timer. Western Red Cedar and Doug Fir.  Teamster Truck Driver 4 days a week.

Fla._Deadheader

Now, Dat's FUNNY !! :D :D :D :D
   First, it is ridiculed;

redpowerd

that was pretty funny  :D :D :D :D :D :D
 :D
NO FARMERS -- NO FOOD
northern adirondak yankee farmer

hiya

harold , The tires I have on now are too wide I cann't get enough crown.It would track ok till I come to the end then it would run ahead to come off the guides. when I first built the mill I had motorcycle tires on. No problem.Was going to work on  it tonight but the water pump had other ideas.wife had no water today. the weather is getting nice now so maybe I will get more done evenings.
RichardinMd.

Fla._Deadheader

What size tires ya got?? I used B-13" trailer tires. They are 7" wide, I believe. I put 50# in 'em, and have LOTS of crown.I changed roller guides and had them run the blade off the front and the blade still stayed on the tires?????? If I do it again, I will use 12" trailer tires and have room for 2-3 belts, instead of one.
   First, it is ridiculed;

Tom

Harold,
Could you put twelve inch tires on your mill now?  You know, just to see if there is any difference.  I can't remember if you had clearance in the overhead of the throat or not.    It would make a good experiment one day.

hiya

I'm not sure of the # for the width. They are about 6 " wide they are 15" car tires. 26 !/2" in dia. They are wore some that makes some difference to.
RichardinMd.

Fla._Deadheader

How about them part-time spare wheels?? They are crowned and should be cheap at a salvage yard. They're 15" too.

Tom, I would lose clearance to the bunks. Outside dia. is 21½". Would have to shorten the blade, too! Since I added the extra track bearings, I can't get the 1" board as the last one.
  The next mill would look like a Woodmizer clone and THAT could get me in trouble?? ::)
   First, it is ridiculed;

hiya

Thats the wheels I plan on getting. maybe on the way home from work this week.My 17year old is thinking of selling fire wood so I will have to fight to get the nice logs befor he does. He has a car in his head. So any way to make money is the way to go.
RichardinMd.

Fla._Deadheader

I think them "spares" are rated at 50 MPH. Yer saw wheels should run about 60 MPH to get the right band speed!!  Might want to check the speed out on the tires.
   First, it is ridiculed;

Thank You Sponsors!