iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Bulgaria's oldest tree

Started by tonich, April 15, 2007, 12:20:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tonich

The oldest tree in Bulgaria is the Pedunculate Oak (Quercus robur) near the village of Granit. It is 25 m tall, 2.4 m diameter, and is estimated to be 1663 years old. This is probably the oldest Oak tree in Europe, since it is over 150 years older than the specimen in Lithuania, pointed here.

In the past 20 years the growing conditions are deteriorated, which leaded to slightly dying. Only a few live brunches are left nowadays, which are being hold by iron pillars (see the pictures!).

Tom

Have the acorns been collected and planted to conserve the "blood lines" of the tree?  It is done here to some success and the young plants sold, or donated, as offspring of the historical tree.

tonich

Tom,
I do not have such an information.
Moreover, I’m not sure what exactly would be its regeneration potential and acorn productivity at this age. I haven’t seen the tree by myself, so I don’t know if there are some acorns and whether they all are empty. So we all have to guess about that.
The worst thing here is the government (I do apologize to mention politicians – actually, this is the last thing I’m willing to do here) doesn’t give a *DanG for the tree and probably it will be left alone to slowly die.
Pity, because this particular tree has overlived the country Bulgaria…  :(

SwampDonkey

Toni, you need to take a trip (one of many I'm sure ;) ) to see this tree, talk to the locals and maybe you'll be lucky enough to collect some acorns you can donate to your tree improvement/genetics department. ;) I collected some red spruce seed from some large old growth on a village owned woodlot. The folks from the tree improvement counsel came and collected some seed as well. This seed has become very desirable by different forestry companies. I told the marketing board they need to increase the price as the seed source is not infinite. Treat it like gold. ;D
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Tom

Yes, treat it like gold.  It is gold.

The seedlings from a tree like this, properly marketed, could make a man a lot of money.  It would also preserve the genetics of the tree and maybe preserve your name as well.  :D :P

I have sawn for a company in my town, Historic Tree Nursery, that has made a business out of creating seedlings from Historic trees and also from sawing the original tree when it dies and selling the lumber as well as making stuff to sell.   The products are sold certifying that they were made from that tree and came with a decorative certificate.  They have made and sold walking sticks, pens and pencils, plaques, pistol handles, knife handles, long gun stocks and all manner of things.  The raw boards are sold for top dollar.

Much of the money goes back into the nursery, collecting the trees and running the company.  Donations are made  to perpetuate the idea.

rebocardo

What is the name of that place in Iceland or Greenland that acts as a seed repository? Might be worth it to send some acorns there or have someone clone the tree.

Dodgy Loner

Interesting post, but it's unfortunate that the tree has deteriorated so much.  Do you know how the age was estimated?  Has it been mentioned in historical documents, or was the tree cored with an increment borer?
"There is hardly anything in the world that some man cannot make a little worse and sell a little cheaper, and the people who consider price only are this man's lawful prey." -John Ruskin

Any idiot can write a woodworking blog. Here's mine.

tonich

The tree had been cored with an increment borer in 1981, by a forest engineer. After several samplings, the exact age was estimated – 1637 years!

WDH

What a grand tree, Tonich.  Just think of all the history that tree has witnessed :).  There are not many of them out there anymore over 1600 years old.  Incredible :o.
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

tonich

OK,
Second in this chart comes the Bosnian pine (Pinus heldreichii), located near Bansko ski resort in Pirin Mountain. It is 26 m high, 2.2 m in diameter.
The tree had been discovered in 1897 and estimated to be about 1300 years old then.
This is the oldest coniferous tree in Bulgaria. Still in healthy conditions.

The Bosnian pine is an endemic tree, spread only along the Balkan Peninsular.

SwampDonkey

Wow, even has some very large limbs. The bark is surely unique. Reminds me of alligator hide and I haven't been that close to an alligator. ;D Sure is a nice tree. What do the cones look like, similar to Scots pine? It's not a 'nut' pine is it?

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

WDH

Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

SwampDonkey

Old Bulgarian trees ;D

It has a good sized seed for any mouse to make a meal. ;D

WDH

tonich

Overall habitus is closest to the Austrian Pine’s one.
But unlike Austrian Pine, Bosnian pine is a typical mountain tree.

The only native 5-needle pine in Bulgaria is Macedonian Pine (Pinus Peuce).
It is endemic species as well, found on Balkan Peninsular.

WDH

I can see now that I need to learn my Bulgarian pines ;D.

tonich

Quote from: WDH on April 29, 2007, 07:49:07 PM
I can see now that I need to learn my Bulgarian pines ;D.

You are good to go, then!
Just take the plane and fly over the Atlantic – you will be surprised, how variable in tree species is our little country. Accommodation is on the house.
Just take your time!  ;)

PS. Oh, we have several important native Mediterranean Oaks, as well.
You might wish to examine them too.  ;D

WDH

Now that is a fine offer, Tonich.  If there is any way possible, I am going to take you up on it ;D.

Dodgy Loner

I think the most impressive thing about that Quercus robur is that they were able to get a complete core sample from it.  Around here, it seems that all the oaks over 200 years old are hollow in the middle.  I wouldn't mind learning some Bulgarian pines and oaks myself, if you'd like to offer a tutorial!
"There is hardly anything in the world that some man cannot make a little worse and sell a little cheaper, and the people who consider price only are this man's lawful prey." -John Ruskin

WDH

Dodgy Loner,

I might need an assistant when I go to Bulgaria  8).  We could do some DanG fine champion tree hunting there ;D.

Dodgy Loner

Sounds like fun!  We woodn't have to look too hard to find trees we don't recognize, wood we?  ;D  :D

tonich

As soon as the Georgia’s crew is ready to take off, please let me know in other to be able to build the stay schedule, as well as the menu. 
Orderings on Bulgarian traditional meals are accepted online.   ;D 8)

WDH

Don't tell the Wiscinsin Chapter.  They would want to go over and saw up that Quercus robur :D.

tonich

Update:

Being encouraged by SwampDonkey, finally I hit the road for a small excursion, which included seeing the oak.
Here is the current situation with the tree: 

As you see, the oak is not in a good shape. We were lucky to have the Mayer of the village for our guide. He told us, that the drying out the nearest river in 1983-84 worsened much the growing conditions, and the tree started to slowly dry. However, the municipality have made some improvements to stabilize it by iron and even concrete.

The tree has a big hollow in the middle like Dodgy Loner said earlier. We’d been told, that the age estimation had been made by a system of interpolations (the Mayer turn out to be an engineer). Look inside:

More to come shortly. Have to gather my thoughts.  ;D ;)

SwampDonkey

Well, we sure waited long enough.  :-X  ;D

What I wanna know  ;) is who was the brave one to pose along side of the tree and later climb inside, and were there bats found roosting? ;D Notice the camera man was well back.  Tell your tree models they did well risking life and limb. ;)

Yeah, the tree does look like it's suffering. I hope no one starts a grass fire this next spring.  ::)

Thank You Sponsors!