iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

What will repel squirrels?

Started by Sprucegum, April 15, 2007, 11:43:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sprucegum

The snowmobiles are finally getting put away for the summer  :-\

This year I want to leave them at the camp so how can I keep the squirrels and mice from filling the intakes , exhausts, etc. with all kinds of junk?

sawguy21

Would window screen tied over the openings with hose clamps work? The little beggars will chew through most anything else.
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

treebucker

1- Shotguns  ;D
2- Secure screen material over the openings and secure with large rubber bands  ???
3- Moth balls  ???

Last night I lay in bed looking up at the stars in the sky and
I thought to myself, "Where the heck is the ceiling?!" - Anon

Nailhead

steelwool in all ports works for me. Mothballs in engine compartment
"The Constitution does not grant rights, it recognizes them."

beenthere

Just put em in a mouse-proof container/shed/whatever. Then the squirrels can't get in either.  ;D ;D
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

fstedy

Here is a link that sells squirrel repellant its based on fox urine. I tried some works for a while but you have to keep reapplying it. Trapping them worked much better.
LINK
Timberking B-20   Retired and enjoying every minute of it.
Former occupations Electrical Lineman, Airline Pilot, Owner operator of Machine Shop, Slot Machine Technician and Sawmill Operator.
I know its a long story!!!

Sprucegum

Thanks for the quick replies from the Fast Forest Forum  8)

I know bounce dryer sheets keep mice away so I will try a few if those along with the mothballs.

How do you catch a moth?  :o  :-X

Furby

How do ya find moth balls ???
Don't anyone answer that by the way! ;)

Reddog

Quote from: Nailhead on April 15, 2007, 12:34:27 PM
steelwool in all ports works for me. Mothballs in engine compartment

Thats the same thing I use. Seems to work about the best of the things I have tried.

Kevin_H.

now you cant lay that out there and not expect some one to answer it... :D
Got my WM lt40g24, Setworks and debarker in oct. '97, been sawing part time ever since, Moving logs with a bobcat.

Sid

Two things :
                   1- A .22 rifle
                   2- A hungry cat(female) ;D

pappy

Quote from: Sprucegum on April 15, 2007, 07:12:10 PM
How do you catch a moth?  :o  :-X

At night turn on a 150 watt spotlight and use a butterfly net  ;D 
"And if we live, we shall go again, for the enchantment which falls upon those who have gone into the woodland is never broken."

"Down the Allagash."  by; Henry Withee

slowzuki

I repelled two of them yesterday with the pellet gun.  There was one left in the roof so I plugged its chew hole with a bar of poison.  It will have to chew its way out.  I also have 5 rat traps screwed into the area they like to infest.  Have got 3 that way.  The problem is if they don't get killed the first time they will nver go near a trap again.

One was set off and launched the squirel about 30 feet away from the building.  Don't know if he came back.

Tom

Squirrels are pretty smart fellows.

I remember an article some years ago where a man began to try and keep the squirrels out of his bird feeder.  He started with grease on the pole and every few days added a new puzzle when he found that the squirrels were solveing the last one.   Before it was all over, his back yard was filled with a Rube Goldberg series of puzzles, all of which the squirrels had conquered.  He ended up having a great time.

The funny thing to him was that the squirrels wouldn't short-cut the puzzles.  They always seemed to start with the first one and solve their way to the latest one in chronological order every day.  He placed his chair where he could watch them and was entertained all summer.

I think it was mentioned on the forum once before and there might even be a link to his picture site, somewhere.

Not that I'm into sales I just think this stuff is funny.

farmerdoug

Last year I seem to remember someone shooting one in their house. ;D  I would not recomend shooting at your equipment though. ::)

A friend of mine uses the wooden rat traps wired to a tree.  He puts the bait end towards the ground and baits it with peanut butter.  Works good for him.

Farmerdoug
Doug
Truck Farmer/Greenhouse grower
2001 LT40HDD42 Super with Command Control and AccuSet, 42 hp Kubota diesel
Fargo, MI

scgargoyle

I tried to catch me some of them moth balls, but they was all females....
I hope my ship comes in before the dock rots!

Slabs

Slabs  : Offloader, slab and sawdust Mexican, mill mechanic and electrician, general flunky.  Woodshop, metal woorking shop and electronics shop.

limbrat

Squirrel dumplins digin1
How do you tell the differance in a grey sqirrel and a red squirrel when your eating them?
ben

Tom

Sprucegum

By the color of the fur on the side of yer plate?  :D

I saw a squirrel flinger one time that was pretty funny to watch; a cob of corn was nailed to the end of a 1x3 4foot board. Then the board was loosely nailed to a branch stub so it could spin freely. It was slightly off center so the cob rode at the top - until the squirrel jumped on  ;D

Once the squirrels figured out what a ride they could get they didn't even try to eat, they would just jump and fly

limbrat

Naw it aint the fur
Gray sqirrels have gray bones and fox squirrels have red bones.
ben

CHARLIE

I suggest y'all use the "Tom" method to keep the squirrels from coming around. You know....the method he uses to keep the deer out of his garden.  Just hang two fresh Squirrel skins on your equipment each day and it'll keep them away. ;D

I was once in the BWCA (Boundary Waters Canoe Area) with my cousin.  My tent, a small 4 man backpacking tent, was set up under a low tree limb. One morning we were drinking coffee when a little red squirrel ran up the tree, jumped on the roof of the tent and slid down to the ground on his belly.  At first we thought it was an accident but he did it 4 more times before running off.
Charlie
"Everybody was gone when I arrived but I decided to stick around until I could figure out why I was there !"

slowzuki

I don't know if it would catch squirrels but for mice a fellow I met has a 5 gallon pail, an old broom handle run through a pop bottle laying across the top and the pail is full of anti-freeze.  He peanut buttered up the bottle and rolled it in bird seed.

The mice run out onto the bottle and roll over into the anti-freeze.

pappy

It most likely won't kill it but I'd b surprised if it came back...  ;D

http://rjdudley.com/media/squirrel_launcher.wmv

PS      Needs Windows Media Player
"And if we live, we shall go again, for the enchantment which falls upon those who have gone into the woodland is never broken."

"Down the Allagash."  by; Henry Withee

Sprucegum

;D  ;D That's what I call a Flyin Squirrel!  ;D  ;D

Thank You Sponsors!