iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

bowl turning

Started by Texas Ranger, April 15, 2007, 11:33:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Texas Ranger

Went to the annual wood working show in Houston a few weeks back.  Saw a guy that had a lathe set up that I really want to work on.  The guy belongs to the Houston Woodworkers, a local club that has a lot of the retired NASSA and petro/chemical engineer types.

Anywho, he had a lathe attachment that is supper keen.  It is a tool that is set in a "P" shaped metal handle where the top section of the "P" rides in/on an enclosure on a tool rest to the right of the lathe, and the straight section of the "P" rides on a tool rest facing the work.  attached to the end of the straight section is a metal cutting lathe bit.  But the neat part was the overhead mounted laser that showed the thickness of the bowl side, allowing for a uniform side wall. 

Hard to explain, but up next on my drawing board.  The engineers there explained that what they do is see something interesting, buy one, and make the improvements and provide it to all the club members.  May have to join the club.
The Ranger, home of Texas Forestry

low_48

Here's a link with a pic.
http://www.woodturnerscatalog.com/cgi-bin/shopper?preadd=action&key=279-4400

I made mine alot simpler. I made an adapter that would fit in a square tube and hold my hollowing bar. To make a support to resist the torque, I machined a groove in a 1/4" piece of aluminum and bolted that to the bed of the lathe. The square tube slides in the groove. The square tube will definitely not twist in the goove in the plate. I'm also convinced that the aluminum plate could be replace with a good piece of 3/4" plywood. If you can load that tool up and get it to spread a groove in a sheet of plywood, I would like to see that lathe and cutting tool. :o

I'll try to get a couple of pics to make this alot easier to understand.

Texas Ranger

That is the thing, the laser mounted on it was super cool.  you adjusted it to just hit the outside of the item, and adjusted for the thickness of the wall.  Gotta have one.
The Ranger, home of Texas Forestry

Burlkraft

That takes away all the fun of watching you tool come through the side of yer hollow form... :D :D :D

I've used one and they are pretty slick. Takes all the pain out of hollowing.... ;) ;) ;)
Why not just 1 pain free day?

Raider

Was at a sale Sat. ended up with a truck laod of "stuff" 8) Got a wood lathe, mounted on wood bench'n drawers, joiner, moulder,router and table. Went for the lathe but bid on the rest and no one much bid against me ;D anyway need to learn :P any books or CD? Would like to turn some bowls down the road ::)  Thanks  Raider

low_48

Read or watch anything by Richard Raffan. Hartville Tool has a special on now. Get 4 dvd's;Raffan's turning boxes, Raffan's turning projects, Raffan's turning wood, and Del Stubbs' bowl turning, for $49. They say that is a $30 savings. Part number to order is #A78732 and mention code number AAW207. That was from an ad in the latest American Woodturner Magazine. I've seen all of these and are great. It's still easier to learn by looking over someones shoulder and having them help, but DVD's are in second place. You can back them up and watch the same operation over and over. Check on woodturner.org for a local chapter of the American Association of Woodturners for a local chapter. Best place to find help!!!

Thank You Sponsors!