iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Fire damaged loblolly (lobs)

Started by wmrussel, April 15, 2007, 02:46:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

wmrussel

I did a burn in March, when the humidity was a bit low and the temperature a bit too warm.  Unfortunately the fire got a little hotter under the lobs (about 20 years old - 60 feet tall +/-) than I'd planned :o.  Some of the lobs needles are ALL browned. 

My question is this:  For the trees that don't recover, how long will they have any value? ???  I'm going to have a look at them today to see how they're doing.  I was considering clear cutting the stand, but this adds a new dimension to my decision.
My name is William, but people call me Pete.  Long story......

Don K

Depends on what you are going to do with them. Can you elaborate? if sawn into lumber  if big enough they will be ok for a while.
Lucky to own a WM LT40HDD35, blessed to have a wife that encouraged me to buy it.     Now that\'s true love!
Massey Ferguson 1547 FWD with FEL  06 GMC Sierra 2500HD 4X4 Dozer Retriever Husky 359 20\" Bar  Man, life is getting good!

Phorester

At this point I wouldn't worry too much about all the brown needles.  The terminal buds at the ends of the branches are the important thing, and they can withstand more heat than the needles.  These trees may have indeed been weakened by the burn, but if the buds are okay, they will break bud and continue to grow.  They will put out new needles every year.  But these new needles will be on the ends of the branches, on the new branch growth for each year.  So the trees will look a little barren of needles for a few years.

One month or so after the burn is way too early to tell what damage, if any , has occured. Give it at least until the end of this summer, next year is better.

wmrussel

Thanks for the input on how long to wait.  They're my Dad's trees and you know how Dad's can be.  At least he's not fired me yet 8)

Most of the trees are pulpwood, with a little bit of chip n saw and maybe a bit of sawtimber.  They're planted in strips about a chain wide, so there is a lot of edge effect.  They were thinned about 8 years ago.  I was living in VA at the time and was not kept updated on what my Dad was doing with the place.

Phorester

Understory burn in loblolly pine last fall.  Trees are about 6" diameter, about 25 feet tall.  Looking down the rows.

Same burn, heat scorch.

Phorester

Same burn, looking across the rows.  Right pretty, eh?

wmrussel

I wish all my trees were only scorched as bad as the ones in your photo.  Some are scorched all the way to the top.  Not a green needle on the poor things smiley_sick.  Fortunately it's a minority of the stand.  I'll wait and see what happens as the summer progresses.

WDH

Generally, if the lower third of the crown needles do not combust, the trees are alive and will put out new needles.  Hang on a few weeks and don't do anhything hasty.  They are probably OK.
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

wmrussel

I'm heading down there today and will take some pics.  Let y'all see what happened and what happens.  May as well learn something from this, huh?

WDH

I scorched a few of mine too.  All the needles fell off except for a few at the very top of the crown.  These trees have live buds on them, and are beginning to show signs of new needles.  I will post a few pics when I get the chance.
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

wmrussel

As you can see, a bit of the crown is still alive.  The ground was wet when I went to take the pics, so I didn't get shots of some trees that were worse off.  I think these will pull through.

Riles

Fire and bugs have a lot in common. It's the girdling of the tree that does it in, not the loss of foliage. The cambium layer dies at 147 degrees F, so if the fire's hot enough all the way around the tree, it's girdled. I had a professor teach, as a rule of thumb, if the scorch marks on loblollys pass 9 feet all the way around, it's dead. There's a lot a variability in that statement however (like if your trees aren't 9 feet tall yet). Younger trees have thinner bark and will die easier. The other thing, the direction of travel of the fire will minimize the scorching on one side of the tree.
Knowledge is good -- Faber College

WDH

If one thing don't get them, another thing will.  The spring drought here is serious.  There will be some mortality with that.  Also, there are several very bad wildfires in South Georgia, one over, 45,000 acres. 

wmrussel

Quote from: WDH on April 19, 2007, 01:07:38 PM
If one thing don't get them, another thing will.  The spring drought here is serious.  There will be some mortality with that.  Also, there are several very bad wildfires in South Georgia, one over, 45,000 acres. 

What part of south GA?  I work down near Homerville/Fargo sometimes.  Not the prettiest woods in the world.

WDH

WDH

Wmrussel,

How are those scorched pines doing?

wmrussel

I'll be looking at those pines again tomorrow.  I'll give y'all an update then.  Thanks for the interest!

wmrussel

Trying to post a photo here is a bit frustrating, so I'll post the photo later.  The pines are looking a lot better in one spot, but I have a few more spots to check. 

Thank You Sponsors!