iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Spalted question

Started by Osric, April 18, 2007, 04:41:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Osric

I'm new to the game, so bear with me on what are probably basic questions  :)

Is spalted wood more desired regardless of the species of the tree?  I cut some smaller Elm logs this morning and found out they were spalted.  I have some larger ones ready to cut and am curious as to whether I should be hoping for the same out of them or not.

Also, the elm logs I'll be milling soon are too big for my little Oscar 18" mill.  I was planning on trimming them down to size with my chainsaw.  Should I quarter them or just trim down the sides?  I know that wood like Walnut shouldn't be quartersawn.  Is Elm another one of those that shouldn't be quartersawn, or would it be better to do this?

Thanks in advance for your responses.

metalspinner

Spalting to some people is a very beautiful thing.  To others its just plain rotten.  I like splated wood alot.  So much so that I have a corner of the lot designated as my splating spot. :)  Some woods have a longer window of opportunity to catch the spalt at just the right time.  Others, just a bit to long a wait and you have punky rotten wood.  I think sycamore falls in the latter.  I'm not familiar with spalting elm.  But I do have clean elm, and if it were spalted I would like it better. ;D

I think plain sawn elm is the way to go.  You will get some nice cathedral grain that way.  Although if you get perfectly 90 degree's to the growth rings, a small ray fleck can be seen.
I do what the little voices in my wife's head tell me to do.

james

Quote from: metalspinner on April 18, 2007, 06:20:57 PM
  I like splated wood alot.
how big a hammer do you use to splat your wood , usually I just splat things like mosquitoes
:D :D :D
james

metalspinner

brooksmill

I hate to sound ignorant but what is Spalted?

metalspinner

It's the beginning of the rotting process where a fungus leaves fine lines through the wood.  The lines can be several colors from black and blue to red sometimes.

Maple, beech and sycamore are good candidates for spalting.  The sap woods of cherry and red oak can also get it.  I'm sure there are other woods as well.

Respitory problems can develope cutting and sanding spalted wood.  One should take precautions like dust masks and dust extraction when working with it.

This is spalted maple...

Thank You Sponsors!