iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Yooper sawmill video, eh?

Started by Daren, April 13, 2007, 11:55:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Daren

A long video, not for dialup. The only thing that would have made it better for me is if they had some duct tape to start er' up (they had plenty of pliers). Once they get it going, it does saw. I love the carriage stop. This is father and son bonding. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8kjSVziFzhA
Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it.

Ron Wenrich

It should be titled "How not to saw on a circle mill".   :D
Never under estimate the power of stupid people in large groups.

sawguy21

That thing looks downright scary.  :D Good thing the area is very green, there is a fire waiting to happen
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

Daren

Quote from: sawguy21 on April 14, 2007, 09:48:20 AM
That thing looks downright scary.  :D Good thing the area is very green, there is a fire waiting to happen

Thats kinda what I was thinking  ::). I was also wondering how far the nearest hospital was, they seem to really be out in the boonies. If their first aid kit is anything like their tool box they are caught short in the (likely) event of an accident.

Jeff

I watched that video several months ago, there is another link on the forum to is somewhere, but I shudder to think of all the ways somebody could have been killed in that. There is nothing in there that I can or want to relate to as a circle sawyer.

Quote"It does saw"

Daren, don't confuse what they were doing with sawing lumber.  :D
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

Corley5

WOW!  They oughta invest in a governor for their power unit  ;) ;D ;D
Burnt Gunpowder is the Smell Of Freedom

sawguy21

I was just waiting for something nasty to happen while he was diddling with that fuel leak with the engine running.
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

Daren

Quote from: Jeff B on April 14, 2007, 10:24:45 AM

Daren, don't confuse what they were doing with sawing lumber.  :D

Don't worry, I in no way confused the 2. I posted the link for people who like watching train wrecks...I fully expected to see one.
I also am not trying to offend any yoopers with the thread title...but they were talking funny

Jeff

I dont worry about offending yoopers. ;) I still wanna be one, but alas, its impossible. Ya gotta be born a yooper.

Fla._Deadheader

Can't load the video, BUT, did anyone read the responses  :o :o :o

They all think it's a cool machine ???  Judging by what folks here thought, THAT'S SCARY  :o :o :o :o
All truth passes through three stages:
   First, it is ridiculed;
   Second, it is violently opposed; and
   Third, it is accepted as self-evident.

-- Arthur Schopenhauer (1788-1860)

TexasTimbers

Daren I had watched it when you sent the other clip. Trainwreck is a good description.
The oil is all in Texas, but the dipsticks are in D.C.

Daren

This short video is the scariest I have ever seen  :o another circle saw clip. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JoSPWBe5yVo&mode=related&search=
I trimmed my thumb one time with the table saw...it hurt the whole time I watched the video. This man has no safety gear like glasses on and he is 2 feet from the blade. The very end made my stomach hurt, him bare handed (not that gloves would have done anything) grabbing the slabs standing up on the running blade. He is clearing slab with one hand and running the carriage return with the other.Not to mention he is sawing small logs on a big mill and most of the time he has one dog on. I could only watch it once.

Jeff

Probably pretty typical of someone running an old circle mill of that type by their self. Thats were all the missing digit stories come from. At least this guy has some notion on how to feed a saw. As unsafe as this last one was, it was not near as scary to me as the first go around. Those guys were just plain foolish.

Burlkraft

Did I detect an accent that was mebby a little Nort of Yooper Land.... ???  ???  ???
Why not just 1 pain free day?

Jeff

Dats not yooper.  More south and more west. Maybe Wyoming.

Dan_Shade

Woodmizer LT40HDG25 / Stihl 066 alaskan
lots of dull bands and chains

There's a fine line between turning firewood into beautiful things and beautiful things into firewood.

Daren

Quote from: Dan_Shade on April 14, 2007, 08:19:22 PM
is that dude wearing sandals?

Looks like it to me...sawmilling flip flops  ???
I don't know, looks pretty scary to me. He must have been at it awhile, cause he knows how to work the machine, and seems to still have all his fingers. I just could not bring myself to not concentrate fully when my hands were so close to that blade. Some of the time he is pulling slabs with his head turned. I would not only be mindful of my hands but if that blade catches and throws a slab, look out.

Tom

That's pretty much the way the home-grown circle mills around here are run, except there is usually a second person beyond the blade to remove the slab.

Corley5

That doesn't look too bad.  I keep a 2X2 a couple feet long with a 20 penny spike driven through the end to pull stuff away from the blade.  I don't like reaching around it like he's doing.  Setting the guides is a task I don't like  ;)  He's better off not wearing gloves.  In that situation a glove could get hooked and pull your whole hand into the saw.  Better to lose a finger than a hand  ;D  A friend of mine found that out the hard way.  He was clearing some stringy basswood bark from the guides with a pair of leather gloves on.  After the reconstructive surgery his ring finger is now his index finger.  They dug his index finger and middle finger out of the sawdust pile but they were beyond re attaching  :(  I'll only use one dog on short logs like that until  they're squared and I'm sawing boards.  They're not going anywhere.  That said he should have eye protection and the sandals probably aren't the best foot wear.  That mill looks like a Corley  8)  I like his power unit too.  A UD-14 IH complete with dual exhaust.  Notice how he started it on the gas side and switched it over to diesel  ??? 
Burnt Gunpowder is the Smell Of Freedom

Tom

I'm glad that we don't grow those 5 sided logs down here.  He had to take off 5 slabs to get that 4 sided timber. :P :D

Daren

Quote from: Corley5 on April 14, 2007, 09:13:13 PM
He's better off not wearing gloves.  In that situation a glove could get hooked and pull your whole hand into the saw.   

That is exactly how I shortened my thumb. I was sweeping a little piece of wood away from the table saw blade so it would not hit me in the face.I had on a new pair of leather gloves and the thumb on the glove was a hair longer than my thumb. I knew for 37 years how long it was and thought I was still 1/2" away from the blade. The blade caught the glove and jerked it into the slot in the table saw. Good thing I had boots on instead of flip flops I would have broke a toe too when I kicked the saw in frustration.  :D :D

Bibbyman

I started to cringe when the video started with him loading logs on the deck.  Looked like the logs had a good chance of rolling over top of the bucket and coming down in his lap.
Wood-Mizer LT40HDE25 Super 25hp 3ph with Command Control and Accuset.
Sawing since '94

WDH

I wondered about that 5 sided log too, Tom.  I thought it was just my inexperience since all my logs have ended up with only 4 square sides  ::).  I thought, "DanG", where did he get a 5 sided log ???.
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Thank You Sponsors!