iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

A tree I saw in Arizona (many images)

Started by Lanier_Lurker, April 11, 2007, 01:16:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lanier_Lurker

These trees were planted as ornamentals in the apartment complex I stayed at in Scottsdale, Arizona during Thanksgiving.

The wood is reddish and has no bark, and the leaves and leaflets strongly resemble rosemary (the spice).

Anyone know what this is?

SwampDonkey

Thinking it's swamp Cyrilla Cyrilla racemiflora also known as palo colorado (leatherwood, Titi, red tree)

The leaves don't look right though, they resemble a willow, but willow I know are white woods like aspen.

What happened to the bark?  ??? ::)

Thinking it's some type of shrub and not a tree.
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Lanier_Lurker

I had to crop the pictures down so much to fit the size restrictions that it is difficult to determine any scale.

The diameter of the tree in the vicinity of that branch is at least a foot, and the tree is easily 25ft tall.

While the leaflets do bear a strong resemblance to rosemary (both in size and shape) they are somewhat larger and more elongated than rosemary.  Also, they have a similar texture.

I'm hoping there is a member here with some landscaping experience (or contacts) in Arizona.  I'll go back through my pictures and try to find a better shot of the leaves.

WDH

That is not like the swamp cyrilla that I have seen.  I have never seen it anywhere that big.  It is usually associated with gallberry and greenbriar and forms impenetrable thickets in the lower coastal plain from North Carolina to Texas.  It likes a wet site.  The flower is a long stalk with many small flowers on it (a raceme ;D).  Very showy.  Grows in clumps.  Here is a pic in flower.

http://arboretum.sfasu.edu/plants/cyrillaracemiflora/
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

SwampDonkey

It does grow in tree form and also found in Puerto Rico and the West Indies, Central America to Brazil.  Up to 30' and 8" diameter. ;D

But as I said earlier the leaves aren't the same.

I'm going with some exotic willow.

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

LeeB

Desert wilow maybe? I don't think desert willow is actually a willow though.
'98 LT40HDD/Lombardini, Case 580L, Cat D4C, JD 3032 tractor, JD 5410 tractor, Husky 346, 372 and 562XP's. Stihl MS180 and MS361, 1998 and 2006 3/4 Ton 5.9 Cummins 4x4's, 1989 Dodge D100 w/ 318, and a 1966 Chevy C60 w/ dump bed.

Lanier_Lurker

Here are a couple more pictures.

Hopefully the one with my hand in it will help provide some scale for the foliage.

This one seemed to have everyone stumped on the identification forum over at arborday.org as well.

It is one peculiar tree.  I wish I had some better pictures, as these were taken at night with a flash.

treecyclers

Yes, I know exactly what it is.
I have about 5000 boardfeet of it on hand, and it's hard as concrete.
It's Red Gum Eucalyptus, one of my less favorite woods to mill, but it's SO darn pretty that it's worth it.
To see the lumber that tree provides, see my website and go to the lumber page. It's on the right.
As an aside, I have about 20 tons of logs to mill, all of that species, that I am procrastinating on.....
Dave
I wake up in the morning, and hear the trees calling for me...come make us into lumber!

beenthere

treecyclers

Nice pics in your website.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

SwampDonkey

smiley_clapping

Ah!! a Eucalyptus.  I knew there was something about them leaves. Willow just wasn't narrow enough and I could remember seeing similar leaves on an earlier thread.

Good job treecyclers. :)

treecyclers

And, I forgot to mention that I am looking for figured woods, and am willing to swap for eucalyptus, acacia, mesquite, and other fun stuff I have on hand....anyone wanna trade?
Superdave
I wake up in the morning, and hear the trees calling for me...come make us into lumber!

Lanier_Lurker

Treecyclers, you are the man!

Thanks for clearing this up!

Lanier_Lurker

Ooops, I forgot to ask.

Is this a native or an exotic?

WDH

Exotic with a big E.  Native to Australia.  Koala bear food :D.  A long way from home :)
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

treecyclers

Quote from: Lanier_Lurker on April 16, 2007, 11:23:10 PM
Is this a native or an exotic?

Originally, it was brought to the US from Australia, and the species has diverged slightly from what is native to AU.
The trees here are a little darker in the heartwood than it's siblings, and the wood is tremendously hard. Perhaps that's due to it being in the desert, or the minerals in the soil here.
What I do know that, once it's tooled, it takes a really nice finish, is extremely durable, and is gorgeous as furniture.
It's a stinker to dry, as is suffers grain collapse in the extreme, and loves to crack and check. I combat that by filling in fissures with tinted epoxy, which really adds to the unique aspects of the furniture that I build with it.
Superdave

Lanier_Lurker

How big do they get?  Some of your lumber looks to be pretty good size.

Texas Ranger

Up front, I am poor on tropical trees, but, that being said, I thought Eucalyptus had a broad leaf, fan shaped rather than a needle shape.
The Ranger, home of Texas Forestry

SwampDonkey

No, don't think so TR unless it's a relative or something. They are willow-like in shape or much narrower.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eucalyptus#Leaves

Lanier_Lurker

:-\ :-\
I hate to question people that probably know more than I about things, but I've looked around the net at numerous pictures of the Red Gum Eucalyptus foliage - and it shore don't look like the foliage on this tree.

The leaflets on this tree are like very short pine needles, but with a glossy finish and soft texture.  They bend easily without breaking and are rubbery.

Texas Ranger

After looking at wikipedia, even more convinced it is something else.
The Ranger, home of Texas Forestry

SwampDonkey

Yip, me to. We keep searching.  ;D

SwampDonkey

I had looked at a site with shrubs and trees from Arizona some time ago and didn't see it there. It's very likely to be non native, don't even see it in Audubon or Peterson's.

Ianab

Eucalyptus is about 700 species of tree, some do have leaves like that.

I'm not up with all the species, and they have all sorts of common names even in Australia. The bark and trunk do look like a Euc species, but I cant tell you which one.

Ian
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

SwampDonkey

Ianab, this sure has me stumped. I've seen those leaves somewhere before, but I can't pin it down. Not saying it's Eucalyptus, not saying it isn't, got no clue.  :D :D

WDH

I know that I know that I do not know what it is.............(How about that Tom, three knows in one short sentence :D).

Thank You Sponsors!