iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Sawmillin 101

Started by 379hammerdown, April 10, 2007, 10:43:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

379hammerdown

Hello,

I've been at this for a couple years... I'm kind of embarrassed to ask these questions now... But then I realize that everyone here had to learn this information one way or another... this is hopefully how I learn... so here it goes!

I've always cut dimensional pine lumber which is easy to sell to friends and use myself. I've come across quite a bit of large white & red oak logs but I'm not quite sure how to cut them.... Well I know how to cut them! Oak is a different beast for me! Here are 5 questions for you:

1. What length does one typically cut oak targeted towards hobby wood workers, cabinet makers etc...

2. On the large logs I plan on quarter sawing them... but what thickness should I cut them?

3. I see people refer to cuts as 4/4 or 5/4 but what is that in my terms :D is 4/4 1 inch and 5/4 1.25 inch? Is there an explanation of what these terms above & beyond the two I mentioned someone could refer me to?

4. On the smaller logs... like 16" and smaller that I plan on flat sawing... should I cut the boards as wide as each cut will allow? Or... how's that work?

5. When you quarter saw oak... you wind up with boards that vary in width... when selling these board by the board foot... do you just whip out the ol' tape measure & price each piece individually....

Thanks so much in advance! 8)

Tom

1. What length does one typically cut oak targeted towards hobby wood workers, cabinet makers etc...
Generally I saw hardwoods destined for a backyard cabinet maker to 8 or 10 feet.  The reason is that he can carry it in a pickup truck.  Usually they are cutting it to shorter lengths anyway.

2. On the large logs I plan on quarter sawing them... but what thickness should I cut them?
I would recommend 1 1/8 to 1 1/4.  There will be some who want thicker stock, but you can't plan for them too good.  A few pieces of 8 quarter *2" stock wouldn't hurt to have around.

3. I see people refer to cuts as 4/4 or 5/4 but what is that in my terms :D is 4/4 1 inch and 5/4 1.25 inch? Is there an explanation of what these terms above & beyond the two I mentioned someone could refer me to?
4/4 and 5/4 is a sawmiller's way of describing the board that will make that size. He is talking in quarters of an inch.  4/4 = one full inch up to, but not including one and a quarter inches thick.  Go to the Knowledge base and look up The Wood Handbook for some good reading on this matter.

4. On the smaller logs... like 16" and smaller that I plan on flat sawing... should I cut the boards as wide as each cut will allow? Or... how's that work?
That is what I would generally do, but you will be money ahead by learning grade sawing.  Essentially that means to take the clearest, widest board that the cant provides.  That means that you will be turning the cant often to judge each face as the grade runs out on the face you are sawing.

5. When you quarter saw oak... you wind up with boards that vary in width... when selling these board by the board foot... do you just whip out the ol' tape measure & price each piece individually....
Yes, but there are rules as to rounding.  Usually you round down to the nearest foot in length and the nearest inch in width.  The Handbook helps here too.

WH_Conley

1- Cut the tree into logs to get the most clear running feet of log, or clear sides, you will just have to sudy each tree for a while.

2- I guess that would depend on your local market, sorry, no help.

3- You have it on the quarter measurement, these are minimum thickness, add 1/8 inch if selling to a broker. On my WM I just uce the standard scale and drop an inch and a quarter, after kerf you will have 1 1/8 to 1 3/16.

4- Cut to get the widest clearest board possible.

5- Pretty much, if selling by NHLA sales code each board is measured. Example, if a board is 12feet long and measures 7 3/8 wide it is a 7 ft board, if it is 7 5/8 wide it is 8 feet. A lumber rule is a good investment. you can do it with a calculator and tape measure, but the lumber would probably by the you measured a whole load. ;D. Also you might want to pickup a copy of the NHLA rule book. If you are selling on a special contract the sales code does not apply.

I see Tom hit the reply button before I did. I'm just too lazt to change anything. :D
Bill

379hammerdown

Thankyou both for your replies! It's a great help to me :)

Have a great day!

flip

As far as selling the lumber.  Last time I was in Woodcraft they had little stickers on each board with what species, how many bf and how much $$.  I have seen a lot of guys take a crayon and mark on the end face or edge of the board what it is and how many bf in that board.  It may take a while doing but when someone comes up wanting to know how much for THIS board all you need is a big smile and the calculator. ;D
Timberking B-20, Hydraulics make me board quick

379hammerdown

Thats a good idea :) Thanks

customsawyer

I don't know if it matters to you that much or what you are cutting but the quarter scale is different for hard wood then it is for soft wood. On hard wood the 4/4 scale would be 1 1/8 on the soft wood scale it would be 1".
Two LT70s, Nyle L200 kiln, 4 head Pinheiro planer, 30" double surface Cantek planer, Lucas dedicated slabber, Slabmizer, and enough rolling stock and chainsaws to keep it all running.
www.thecustomsawyer.com

Thank You Sponsors!