iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

War: Husky vs. Stihl

Started by MISDH, April 10, 2007, 07:02:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jokers

Quote from: MISDH on April 10, 2007, 09:25:24 PMI'll be cutting down about 3,500 Austrian pines, and then cherry and maple for firewood. I've got a Husky dealer nearby, and wanted the best model numbers to avoid the "cheap ones".
Keep 'em comin'.
Thanks
I`d size the saw for the pine removal so depending on the size of the pine you might be best off with a smaller saw like a 346xp or a 353, your back will thank you, or if the trees warrant more jam get a 359 or 357xp of which I would choose the 357xp if it will remain stock.

If you go with a Stihl I would consider the ms260, ms280, or my favorite new Stihl, the ms361(I really like this one! ;D ). I`ve either had or currently still have all of the models I mentioned and they are all first rate saws

onionman

I carry 2 saws when I head to the woods a 346xp and a 3120 with a 36"bar.
Most of the time the 3120 stays in the truck.The 346 has a 18" bar  and just plain cuts!

Handy Andy

I have a neighbor who bought a new Husky, says it runs great once it is started, but has a hard time starting it in morning.  After first  start, restarts good all day. Is that
normal?  He couldn't tell me the #.  I have a couple of the cheap Stihl's.  Odd numbers
250 and 290.  Someone told me I should have bought the even # saws as they are
better built.  The 260 was almost 2x the price of the 290, so that's the one I got. 
My name's Jim, I like wood.

sawguy21

I would be interested learning which Husky he bought, some of the entry level one's are built by Poulan which Husky owns and are light duty consumer saws. The even numbered Stihls are generally better built but their numbering system is all over the map now so this is not always true. 'The 260 was almost 2x the price of the 290, so that's the one I got.' The 260 is designed for the pro user where the 290 is a farm, ranch, serious weekend wood cutter saw and too DanG heavy. 
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

SawTroll

Quote from: jokers on April 12, 2007, 09:31:43 PM
Quote from: caz on April 10, 2007, 08:41:30 PM
Just my 2 cents if you can find a good older swedish made husky there is nothing better

The new ones (big box stores) >:( huskys, just plain junk.

Again just my 2 cents
What is wrong with any of the new, Swedish made Huskies?

I also have to disagree with your broad statement that any of the Huskies available in the box stores are junk although I would direct this person or anyone else to a real dealer if possible. The 340,345,350, and 359 are all very good saws and available in the "box" stores.

Quote from: jokers on April 12, 2007, 09:40:33 PM
Quote from: MISDH on April 10, 2007, 09:25:24 PMI'll be cutting down about 3,500 Austrian pines, and then cherry and maple for firewood. I've got a Husky dealer nearby, and wanted the best model numbers to avoid the "cheap ones".
Keep 'em comin'.
Thanks
I`d size the saw for the pine removal so depending on the size of the pine you might be best off with a smaller saw like a 346xp or a 353, your back will thank you, or if the trees warrant more jam get a 359 or 357xp of which I would choose the 357xp if it will remain stock.

If you go with a Stihl I would consider the ms260, ms280, or my favorite new Stihl, the ms361(I really like this one! ;D ). I`ve either had or currently still have all of the models I mentioned and they are all first rate saws

I agree with you, Russ - on all accounts this time.... :) 8) 8)

The MS361 sure is a very nice saw - if it is too large for the project, I believe the 346xp or Dolmar PS-5100S are the best choises.....

Those 3 saws have about the same power to weight ratio, so it is just a question of choosing the right size for the application........ ;D ;D
Information collector.

SawTroll

Quote from: Handy Andy on April 13, 2007, 08:47:56 PM
  I have a neighbor who bought a new Husky, says it runs great once it is started, but has a hard time starting it in morning.  After first  start, restarts good all day. Is that
normal?   

That is a bit odd, but my 353 is not an instant starter when it has been resting for more than a week or two. Just pull the starter rope slowly out a couple of times, before making a real attempt to start.

Also, open the choke after 3-4 pulls, regardless if there is a "pop".....

My 372xpg is a real easy starter, though, even after sitting for months, and so is the ol' Jreds. The MS361 is something inbetween.

My guess is that it has something to do with carb sizes, but I don't really know... ::)
Information collector.

Tim L

My 372xp is a little cold blooded on the first start. After that, it's a one pull machine . My brother in law's 034 starts like a dream when it's cold .
Do the best you can and don't look back

jjmk98k

My 350 can be a little snotty to start on cold mornings, but once running and warm, she starts first pull each timer after..... my 372XP starts up right away each and every time.

As a side note, my 350 was a "big box" store purchase and I have been very pleased with it. In the fall i did some hard cutting with it and it never let me down. I made sure i sharped the chain once the chips were getting small....  This saw runs very well!

Jim

Warminster PA, not quite hell, but it is a local phone call. SUPPORT THE TROOPS!

blaze83

I know husky makes a good saw, but all my experience is with stihl...When I worked for the forest service a few years back we ran 034's with 20" bars. used them to slash and also fall snags and cut fire line on fires...they ran for ever just stopped to refuel and file or change chains 12 to 16 hours a day on fires.  I personally have an 044 with a 28" bar, not familiar with the new number designations of stihl, but if the ms361  is what the ol 034's used to be it's a good saw.

As a side note, I'd be cutting the pine up for fire wood and turning the charry and maple into lumber  :D

just my 2 cents

blaze
I'm always amazed that no matter how bad i screw up Jesus still loves me

joe_indi

Husky 372xp 365xp are very reliable saws, maybe not as fast as a Stihl  equivalent, but reliable mechanically.Small irritants exist like screws coming loose , grounding wire snagging with the flywheel, vibration damper on the cylinder snapping and ignition lead shorting due to contact with the flywheel.
Carb on 365 is a Zama which does not come up to the standard of the Walbro on the 372.
Both have limiter caps now, which can be easily removed in case you need to fine tune.
The real downer is the original ignition module(black) has been replaced with a new one (blue)which has a speed limiter.
This restricts you from doing the "extra bits" to your saw.
But 'what one man does another man can undo' or improve.
The ignition module of a 385  which has no  speed limiter fits perfectly, with a trimming down of the extra length of ignition lead.
A MS460 Walbro can be easily modified to fit into the Husky. This carb has better progression between low and high speeds.That  gives you superb acceleration.Plus you have the option to fit the ideal fixed jet that suits your application.Choice is 0.64, 0.68, 0.70, 0.74.I fpersonally found 0.70 ideal for sea level and 0.68 for altitudes of 2000ft MSL. 064 might be required for higher altitudes and 0.74 if you plan to do any logging in Israel!!
By removing the limiter caps and replacing the existing L and H screws with the older typeswith springs(still available as spare parts)you get maximum scope for carb adjustment.
With just these  changes the Husky 372xp is more or less an even match for the MS460.
In the Stihl "stable' I would root for the Brazilian models of the MS380 and MS360.
The 380 Magnum with a change from spur sprocket to a rim type give you the option of fitting a 8 teeth rim which easily compensates for the 1K revs that it lacks comared to the MS460.
The MS360 when fitted with the STIHL 18" Rollomatic ES 1.3mm bar gives you the option of using two chain types.Either the 33RS 1.3mm Full Chisel or the 63PM Picco Micro Chisel.The latter with a 8 teeth Rim is like rocket!

JD hauler

If your not a full time user, dont pay for a new saw , get on ebay, you can find alot of saws on there and often times some really good deals on clean saws that were only used a little bit.  I sure would get a husky if it was me, I have had both stihl and husky and the huskys in my opinion start better cold or hot run a tad more responsive.  seem just to be a better built saw to me. it also comes down to what dealer is near you, if you lose a bolt, need a filter, or chain , I dont even mind the snobby dealers , cause they mostly are, they are in business and your not paying for their attitiude , just parts and maybe service if you dont work on it yourself, the parts are the same cost if they are happy that day or not.

SawTroll

Quote from: joe_indi on April 15, 2007, 12:09:26 AM
Husky 372xp 365xp are very reliable saws, maybe not as fast as a Stihl  equivalent,.... 

I find that comment a bit odd, to say the least.

...and there is no 365xp, and no Stihl equivalent to the 365..........

:)
Information collector.

fuzzybear

I only have one thing to say ........DOLMAR PS-7900........used one yesterday and ordered a new one today.   Power to weight was amazing.   I felt like Luke Skywalker with a chainsaw ;D
I never met a tree I didn't like!!

Corley5

So what about the Stihl 441 with it's "new" prefiltration air intake system ???   Anybody got one ???  They any good ???
Burnt Gunpowder is the Smell Of Freedom

jokers

Quote from: Corley5 on April 16, 2007, 06:13:15 PM
So what about the Stihl 441 with it's "new" prefiltration air intake system ???   Anybody got one ???  They any good ???
I haven`t run one but I`ve heard from a few people that I consider saw knowledgable that they are a nice saw to run, I just question why you wouldn`t just buy a 460 for only a little more money since the saws weigh about the same. I was in the market for an Arctic saw earlier this year and two of my choices were the 441 and 460. The choice for me was a no brainer, my 3rd 460.  ;)

joe_indi

Quote from: SawTroll on April 16, 2007, 01:57:05 PM
I find that comment a bit odd, to say the least.

...and there is no 365xp, and no Stihl equivalent to the 365..........

Mea Culpa for the "xp" after the 365.

As per Stihl's own comparison charts the Stihl equivalent of the 365 is the MS 390

TexasTimbers

joe i was looking for that comparison chart the other day on stihls website and could not find it. i have seen it before but just couldn't locate it - just`tried again and still could not find it.
The oil is all in Texas, but the dipsticks are in D.C.

sawguy21

The 365 and MS390 are close to the same displacement and both are saws but that is about the only similarity.  :D
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

joe_indi

Quote from: kevjay on April 17, 2007, 07:45:05 AM
joe i was looking for that comparison chart the other day on stihls website and could not find it. i have seen it before but just couldn't locate it - just`tried again and still could not find it.
kevjay, you won't find the comparison chart that I refered to on any website.It is a booklet given to Stihl distributors only.I was fortunate to have a look into one of those and note down Stihl's equivalent of its competitor's models.
Quote from: sawguy21 on April 17, 2007, 08:43:07 AM
The 365 and MS390 are close to the same displacement and both are saws but that is about the only similarity.
Very true, sawguy21, but that is Stihl's opinion regarding an equivalent for the 365.
The 372xp is equivalent to a MS440. The only differences between the 372xp and a 365 are the piston,cylinder and the carb.Change these on a 365 and you have a 372.
Talk of converting a MS390 into a MS440, people would thing you are ready for the funny farm.Because the MS390 has a horizontally split shortblock in  a polymer casing which does not belong to the professional class of saws. But the MS440 has a vertically split crankcase of magnesium alloy. Ditto the 372 and the 365

windthrown

For cutting thousands of trees? You did not say what sized trees, or if they are soft or hard wood. If you are going to cut thousands of trees with a 20 inch bar, you are going to need/want a good power to weight ratio pro model saw. I do not have any experience with the Husky line of saws, and I am biased toward Stihl. I cut hundreds of trees here; felling, thinning, and cutting firewood. Hard and softwoods.

I would go with either the Stihl MS 361 or the MS 441. Both are newer bullet-proof EPA friendly models with good spring-mounted vibration dampening. Read: smooth. The 441 has slightly better power to weight ratio. But it is heavier and wider. After all day sawyering you are going to be wiped out with that kind of weight (with your light body frame). You said that you have a larger saw already, so you may want the 361. The 460 is a good high end saw and will cut through anything, but it is a bear to manage all day long (been there, done that). It has a lot of vibrartion. Vibration can lead to white finger, tendonitis, or arthritis, or aggrivate them if you already have them. The 441 would be a better option. You are also going to want something lighter and less vibe prone than a 390, and the 361 would be a better option.

Now, for modifying them, the 441 has a new type of flow-through design, and it does not lend itself to great performance improvement when muffler and/or port modded. The 361 will dance if modded (though it will be louder). Open the muffler up a bit and it will probably give you all the power that you need. Both of these saws will drive a full range of bars in the size that you want. Both have full pro features and will last and put up with extreme use.

BTW: if you do not already have a smaller saw, I would also advise a small 30-40cc saw for limbing and thinning small diameter trees. Even the 361 can get heavy after a day of use. Switch to a smaller light saw and it is easy to trim and thin. For that I would get an MS180 to MS250 size saw. Or the new MS192 non-top handle model (I have not tried it yet). For the price of the MS441 with bar and options, you could probably get the MS361 and an MS180.

You may also want to look at the Dolmar line of saws. You could get a Dolmar 5100s and a 401 for the same purpose, and get the pair for about the same price as the Stihl 361. Both of these saws have had rave reviews. Their quality over time, new company ownership (Makita), limited local dealerships and model availablity and previous sporatic brand availability in the USA leave some questions as to their overall quality as a saw brand. But you might want to look at them just the same.
Stihls: 440R, 361, 360, 310, 260, 211, 020T. Husky: 372xt.
I ship Stihl saws down under: message me for details.

TexasTimbers

I saw it at my local Stihl dealer then Joe. Bet he will let me have a copy.

Hi windthrown, welcome to the Forestry Forum.  :)
The oil is all in Texas, but the dipsticks are in D.C.

SawTroll

Quote from: sawguy21 on April 17, 2007, 08:43:07 AM
The 365 and MS390 are close to the same displacement and both are saws but that is about the only similarity.  :D

Yes, the 365 is a pro quality saw, and the MS390 a consumer one - they are not comparable at all, the Husky wins by a wide margin on all accounts.....

Stihl should have listed the MS361 as the counterpart of both the 357xp and the 365.....

Welcome to FF windthrown, nice to "see" you again! :) 8) 8)
Information collector.

rahtreelimbs

Quote from: Corley5 on April 16, 2007, 06:13:15 PM

I have a deuce of 441's. Good running saw!!!
Nothing Like A  Modded Saw To Start Your Day!!![/SIZE]               Later, Rich.

Frickman

90% of professional loggers worldwide run Stihl. Stihl must be doing something right. I've tried the MS361, nice running little saw. 18" bar is perfect. If you need a 20" bar then get a MS441 or MS460. I run an MS460 all day long sometimes and I'm just a little guy, only 5' 6" or so. I get more tired running a small saw, waiting for it to cut, than carrying around a bigger saw and getting the work done faster.
If you're not broke down once in a while, you're not working hard enough

I'm not a hillbilly. I'm an "Appalachian American"

Retired  Conventional hand-felling logging operation with cable skidder and forwarder, Frick 01 handset sawmill

Pretend farmer when I have the time

jokers

Quote from: Frickman on April 22, 2007, 05:53:08 PM
90% of professional loggers worldwide run Stihl.
I`d like to see you back up this statement with a credible reference, not something your Stihl dealer said. Don`t get the wrong idea either because I think that I currently have more Stihls than Huskies or Dolmars but it wasn`t that long ago that I saw with my own eyes that Stihl`s top sellers were the 017 and 029, not many pro loggers using either of those beauties.  ::) I just hate marketing bs and Stihl IS king when it comes to marketing bs.

Thank You Sponsors!