iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Peterson Demo Day ...With A Real Peterson Guy

Started by Burlkraft, April 09, 2007, 09:37:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Burlkraft

Come on Boss.....let's tell 'em why da saw shut down when ya was slabbin'....... :D :D :D

It had sumpthin' ta do with da front porch........ :D :D :D :D :D   ( I just couldn't hep meself)

Internet connection works great here at work......

I gotta thank everyone who showed up Saturday. It was a great day. Everyone worked hard and had fun. Thanks to Chris and everyone at Peterson. When I droppped Chris at the airport I told him I hoped it was as good for Peterson as it was for me........He just smiled and said he had a great time and was looking forward to coming back again..... ;D ;D ;D

Somewhere along the line Jeff got Chris to admit it was the biggest log he's sawed in the Western Hemisphere......or sumpthin like that.....
Why not just 1 pain free day?

Jeff

I'm thinkin it was the Northern Hemisphere.  ;)

Ya'll need to get over to the Sawmill and Woodlot thread and get signed up if you don't have a supscription yet. You not only get the deal they set up for us, but Walter has asked me to write a story about the redwood cutting for the July issue. You'll get to see and hear more about the day, and you'll actually get to see something written by me with good grammar cause there will be a fleet of people to correcting it for me. :D
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

Jeff

Quote from: Burlkraft on April 30, 2007, 01:42:59 PM
Come on Boss.....let's tell 'em why da saw shut down when ya was slabbin'....... :D :D :D

It had sumpthin' ta do with da front porch........ :D :D :D :D :D   ( I just couldn't hep meself)

I'll have you know that was my forearm that hit the panic button. ;)

Jeff

Corley5 climbed up the ladder and took a turn sawing for a bit and now has two new goals in life he says. First, to find himself a supply of Redwood Logs, and second, to get a Peterson mill to saw them up with.  He loves his Corley mill, but she just aint up to the task of sawing logs like this one. :)

Jeff

The professional shows us how to get it done!  I think that Steve and Wyatt, who were swampin lumber, were real glad when Chris stepped off and someone else started sawing. :D  Chris can sure make that saw sing. :)

Furby

Jeff

Because the sawdust was blowing so bad at the end of the log. It worked better to walk the wood a few feet to the side for them.

Here is a much clearer photo of what was on the plaque that had accompanied the log as it toured around Madison. We heard stories about it having been cut for a century or even two centuries ago, but if the plaque is accurate, logic tells me it was cut around 1960.   :)

Furby

So what ya are saying Boss is that a bunch of mill rats couldn't set up the mill to take into account the wind direction ???
;) ;D

beenthere

For sure we did take that into account. You notice the guys sawing were not in the sawdust......just the ones offbearing.  Now, don't think for a split second that it wasn't planned that way.  ;D

But everyone had a taste of the sawdust once in awhile. Wyatt took the brunt of it, but kept on truckin.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Gary_C

Note the stump diameter was 10 ft 7 inches and this log was only 6 ft 10 inches. So this was not a butt log, but was a ways up the tree. It did have some branch stubs so it may have been the third 20 ft log taken from that tree.

I suppose some of the foresters could probably calculate just how high up in the tree this log came from.  ???
Never take life seriously. Nobody gets out alive anyway.

Jeff

Sorting out the slabber chain.

"Take the let loop there and put it up a bit.
Now pull that side in, and wrap it twice around.
Slip that up, on that side there.
Now, beenthere you, 
step through that loop and I'll,
pull this one up over,
and duck through twice.
Bull brother, you put your left foot in and shake it all about..."  ;)

Furby

I've found the easiest way to sort out a loooong chain is to lay it on piece of plywood and slide the loops out. :)
I can easily imagine what is going on in the pic and would love to see a vid of the "stooges"! :D :D :D

Corley5

It's not 5' Steve  ;) ;D

Nope, not 5' that way either
Burnt Gunpowder is the Smell Of Freedom

Corley5

Yup, I really liked the Peterson 8) 8)  I've heard talk of another log down south somewhere in Ill....... 

Burlkraft

Quote from: Corley5 on April 30, 2007, 07:17:26 PM
Yup, I really liked the Peterson 8) 8)  I've heard talk of another log down south somewhere in Ill....... 

Ya pickin' me up.... ???  ???  ???

Burlkraft

Quote from: beenthere on April 30, 2007, 04:07:37 PM
For sure we did take that into account. You notice the guys sawing were not in the sawdust......just the ones offbearing.  Now, don't think for a split second that it wasn't planned that way.  ;D

It was also downhill that way. What planing......A tail wind and downhill too.... ;D ;D ;)

sprucebunny

Looks like you guys had a great time  8)

I'd love to see a picture that shows the grain .

Thanks for all the pictures and videos ;D
MS193, MS192 and an 026  Weeding and Thinning. Gilbert Champion sawmill

Corley5

Quote from: Burlkraft on April 30, 2007, 08:29:16 PM
Quote from: Corley5 on April 30, 2007, 07:17:26 PM

Ya pickin' me up.... ???  ???  ???

You got the mill  ;D :)

Jeff

Here is a simple photo with special meaning for many of us that were there and breath sawdust. You know who you are and you know what I mean. ;D   Steve, this is especially for you. ;)

pasbuild

If it can't be nailed or glued then screw it

Jeff

When we were about 2 thirds through the log, we took a short break for a photo op and got a few people to climb in da log. We did have as many as 30 folks there at one time, and I know we could have fit 50 or more on the log at this point as we only had 2 rows and could have fit 4, but this is what we got for that moment in time.  :)   Looks like the young feller manning my camera was not our main focus. There should be more photos of this out there on other cameras. :)

beenthere

We thought that log was leanin down a bit on Burlkrafts end der.....now der is proof. ;D ;D
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Burlkraft

That's gotta be an optical illusion......

It was fun sawin' downhill tho.... ;D ;D ;D

Jeff

Here is a taste of what the grain looks like. Its raining here this morning so the wood that I have is wet and really really red!

Corley5

Thank You Sponsors!