iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Muff Mod & Temp; Allow me to re-Phrase

Started by TexasTimbers, April 09, 2007, 08:37:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TexasTimbers

Okay lemme re-phrase this, I had originally asked if anyone knew what approximate temperature a chainsaw muffler gets since I figger the model don't really matter but nobody knew or else they ain't-a-tellin. So lemme just ask if anyone knows if they get more than 200°F. ???
See cause I wanna use this stuff . . . . .

and it says not recommended for temps exceeding 200°F. In fact I already did use it as a practice run on the old muffler because I wanted to see how it is gonna look with that 1/2" conduit sticking out the hole. Of course I will paint the muffler with engine block paint I guess. Black is too boring I am gonna try to find Husky Orange if not they always got Chevy Orange.
While you're looking please tell me if you like the look of it. Be brutally honest. And do you see any functionality issues with it other than it being a potential fire hazard not having a an arrestor screen, and of course the EPA cops gonna throuw me under the jail. Udder dan dat do you foresee any probs? Of course there will be two pipes in the new muffler try to visualize that when you're givin it the once over . . . .

The oil is all in Texas, but the dipsticks are in D.C.

TexasTimbers

Bumpin so folks will read the new info.

scgargoyle

I'm quite sure a chainsaw muffler will get well over 200 degrees. Even a car muffler, several feet from the engine, gets hot enough to boil water (212 degrees). I've seen a lawnmower muffler glow in the dark under heavy usage, which I would imagine to be upwards of 1000 degrees. A chainsaw, esp. a modded one, is gonna get hot- very hot.
I hope my ship comes in before the dock rots!

TexasTimbers

I figgered but wanted a reality check anyway. Thanks.

Tony_T

Hot enough to melt the top cover on one of my stihls, don't ask how.......

logger

although a dual port muffler runs 100 degrees less than stock it still probably gets over 200 degrees.  And modded (ported) saws don't get that much hotter than stock. :) :D ;D 8) ;)
220 Poulan            Future Saws         
Stihl MS280             Jonsered CS2171              
Stihl MS440 Magnum Husky 575XP  
Stihl MS460 Magnum   Dolmar PS-7900
Husky 385xp            Stihl MS361  Stihl MS441 Magnum
Stihl 066 Magnum       Stihl MS660 Magnum

TexasTimbers

I don't like the paint but since it has already started to bubble off I can repaint it a different color before long. It was supoosed to be good to 1200° F.
just thought y'all might want to see how it turned out. I like how the pipes look, but as I say, don't like the paint scheme. It was all they had at O'Reilly no high gloss black.

I had tried a high heat product called ThermoSTeel first. Don't waste your time. Then I went to JB Weld. I love that stuff but didn't like it for this. Finally sic'd the wire welder on it.

Anyone know a good source for high heat, high gloss paint?

Oh yeah almost forgot to tell you how she sounds . . . . like she wants to enter a tractor pull!  8) 8) 8)

Maybe I ought to throw a tranny and some mud grips on her  ;D

jokers

Quote from: logger on April 10, 2007, 07:53:56 PM
although a dual port muffler runs 100 degrees less than stock it still probably gets over 200 degrees.  And modded (ported) saws don't get that much hotter than stock. :) :D ;D 8) ;)
You don`t say? Where did you come by this info, Logger?

Tom

Kevjay,
Don't the woodstove people have a black high temp paint?

Kevin

QuoteAnyone know a good source for high heat, high gloss paint?

Try a furnace shop or a place that deals with wood stoves.

arojay

I keep my work saws pretty much stock so I have nothing to add but, I love the teacher/veteran signature line.  No doubt, I have a place to use it.
440B skidder, JD350 dozer, Husqvarnas from 335 to 394. All spruced up

Tony_T

I don't think you'll find any high gloss paint that takes heat.  Stove paint or muffler paint is your best bet.  Might be able to acid-dip it then chrome it, it'd look just like a harley muffler after it gets hot (E.G. sort of blue near the head with some chrome color left on the cooler parts ( would be pricey too...).

That would be overkill for a working saw......

TexasTimbers

Thanks for the sugs guys.

arojay, I saw the phrase elsewhere truly don't remember where though. It was a word or two different I changed it to suit me.
Use it too I see no reason we can't have duplicate signature lines will just get the message out better!! ;)

arojay

Well...I wasn't going to use it as my signature line.  Around here we have a number of recent arrivals from foreign lands who are anti-everything psuedo-environmentalists.  I can find a time to use it... 
440B skidder, JD350 dozer, Husqvarnas from 335 to 394. All spruced up

limbrat

There are some high temp paints for painting brake parts,but i dont know what temps they run.
ben

scgargoyle

Try a search for 'jet hot'. There are a number of places that use a bake-on process for headers. There's a local franchise right here in our town. Probably more than you'll wanna spend on a chainsaw muffler. tho'....
I hope my ship comes in before the dock rots!

TexasTimbers

Maybe I should get it dipped. That's not as expensive as it used to be.

sawmilllawyer

:)You could pick up a can of flat black hi temp spray paint from ACE for about  $5-$6. I painted my wood burning fireplace insert seems to be holding up pretty well to the heat. Boy, I love to hear that puppy bark. Been thinking about opening up my MS-361, but don't have the technical know how, YET.
Stihl MS-361, MS-460 mag, Poulan 2150, 2375 Wildthing.

TexasTimbers

I don't have a 361 but from my recrent reading/research you should not try to tune a 361 by ear they will not burbble/4-stroke like other saws. Use a tach for sure on a 361. i say use a tach on any saw whether it burbbles or not. I have read too many posts where guys wrote things like "I thought I could tune by ear but when I tached it I was 2000 RPM off!"

Corley5

Why bother with paint?  It's just a chainsaw  :)
Burnt Gunpowder is the Smell Of Freedom

logger

Quote from: kevjay on April 16, 2007, 09:08:58 AM
I don't have a 361 but from my recrent reading/research you should not try to tune a 361 by ear they will not burbble/4-stroke like other saws. Use a tach for sure on a 361. i say use a tach on any saw whether it burbbles or not. I have read too many posts where guys wrote things like "I thought I could tune by ear but when I tached it I was 2000 RPM off!"
Hmmmmm......sounds fimiliar.  I know where you got that from!  HEH HEH  8) :) :D ;D
220 Poulan            Future Saws         
Stihl MS280             Jonsered CS2171              
Stihl MS440 Magnum Husky 575XP  
Stihl MS460 Magnum   Dolmar PS-7900
Husky 385xp            Stihl MS361  Stihl MS441 Magnum
Stihl 066 Magnum       Stihl MS660 Magnum

Thank You Sponsors!