iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

beam boss

Started by snowman, April 09, 2007, 10:51:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

snowman

Has anyone tried the Baileys beam boss? It's only 32 bucks, not a huge gamble to check out but I'm curious if it's a tool or a piece of junk.

Greg

Quote from: snowman on April 09, 2007, 10:51:31 AM
Has anyone tried the Baileys beam boss? It's only 32 bucks, not a huge gamble to check out but I'm curious if it's a tool or a piece of junk.

Are you referring the the beam boss or the beam machine? Two different gizmos.

I looked at the beam machine a long time ago for making beams but chose the granberg mini mill instead, and am happy with that choice. Its slightly more expensive setup but on the whole still pretty darn inexpensive.

Maybe others have used it sucessfully, but I personally don't like the looks of the beam machine, it seems like it would have too much "play" in it to consistently make nice square beam. Ya gets whatcha pay for!

Guess it also depends on exactly what your trying to do...
Greg

Dave Shepard

We have one at work. I have not used it, but the results I saw were not pretty. It was used in conjunction with an Alaskan mill. The Alaskan was used to cut the top and bottom slabs and the beam machine was used to cut the sides. The whole project was a mess. Of course, I was inside on the Woodmizer, so I may have been a little prejudiced.

Dave
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

snowman

The beam boss is an attachment to your saw that supposidly cuts beams at accurate angles.Apparently it's a new gizmo that nobody knows about. Ill buy it , try it and do a product review. :D

limbrat

I looked at the ad on Baileys, and am very intrested in your review. I have been cutting angles with a hand saw.
ben

Thank You Sponsors!