iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Its Sunday AND My Wife has a BIG Hammer.

Started by Jeff, March 09, 2003, 07:37:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Frank_Pender

Yep, you are corect, Linda.  I am lost most of the time whether here or someplace else.  I take back what I said. Jeff, please stay free of trouble. I can't find myself most of the time for the tree or the forest.  I am always needing direction for something or another. :'(
Frank Pender

Jeff

I am about to go try to put up Tammy's flag. We want to get it up right away rather then wait for better weather as we planned. Its important we Fly our Flags.

Here are a couple pics of Tammy's near complete closets.

The shelf is made from a slice of Tom C's Florida ERC  Thanks Tom! The hanging rod is thanks to a limb off a windfall hickory at the old farm, as are the closet door handles.

Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

Tom

Your welcome, Jeff.  I'm glad it found a good home.

biziedizie

Thanks for posting the pics Jeff you just gave me an idea as to what I can use the t&g pine for that I have in the shop. I like the idea for the shelf and the door knob.

Steve

Mark M

Hey I never saw a closet wired for cable tv, that must be a big sucker  ;)

Paul_H

It looks pretty good to me 8)

That's only my opinion mind you,Crofter might come along and try to pith all over it ;)
Science isn't meant to be trusted it's to be tested

Jeff

We had to lash it to the back deck for now because the ground is froze, but she's flying with pride!

Bibbyman

Yeeeee! Haaaa!  Fly'm high. Way to go Jeff!  
Wood-Mizer LT40HDE25 Super 25hp 3ph with Command Control and Accuset.
Sawing since '94

Tom

Frank_Pender

Nice job Tammy.  Make sure you have a light shining on the Flag after dark unless you take it down each day.
Frank Pender

Tom

Good suggestion Frank. I was never one to condone flying it at night unless there was a reason for celebration, but that doesn't mean that it can't be done.

Here is a link to some Flag Data for those who would like to study the rules.  I like to read this kind of stuff.

http://www.usflag.org/us.code36.html

biziedizie

I still don't understand the part about flying the flag at night, can someone explain why this would be a no no.
  Also with this war going on wouldn't it be a good thing to have the flag up 24hrs a day?

Steve

Jeff

We only had the flag up for a few hours. The weather turned and it has rained since.

Tom

Bizie,
I was raised to believe that the flag came down at sundown.  It was put to bed with the rest of us.  I guess it may have had something to do with my close association with the military.  There are even ceremonies for putting it up and taking it down.  When I was in elementary school we faced the flag when it was being taken down or the Nat. Anthem if we heard it, and put our hand over our heart.  When I went to Military School, the ceremony was very structured and we attended formations to provide dignity for the flag as it was raised and taken down.

People used to drop what they were doing and run take the flag down when inclement weather struck.  In the Military, we were punished if we didn't.  The flag was a lot more important than one's starched uniform.

The first place I saw the flag flown after dark, accepting when someone forgot,  was automobile dealerships who flew it day and night.  I've always felt it was disrespectful that they did that, even if the flag was lit, because they strung them up like pennants and never took them down.  They flew night and day, rain or shine and eventually faded into a torn almost white rag.  It's not only disrespectful but lazy.

We were taught that the U.S. Flag was flown at the Capital 24 hours a day because it represented a government that didn't close.  It also could fly 24 hours a day over a military ship at sea that was underway because she was "on duty".
I think it was allowed for  U.S. Embassies for the same reason but can't really remember.

It had to be a real exception for any other place to fly her 24 hours a day.  Flag protocol was strict in military life and civilian life as well.  Half-mast is for national mourning but we were of the understanding that the President of the U.S.A was the only one who could approve it.  Now anybody that wants will fly it at half-mast.

Things have sure changed.

RavioliKid

I need a new flag for my classroom. The material on the poor thing is starting to deteriorate and there are a few holes in it.

At least it has 50 stars on it.

;)
RavioliKid

Jeff

Tom, the flag code clearly states that the flag may be flown 24 hours a day for patriotic display if properly illuminated during darkness.

I plan to do this when the weather is good. I find it a stirring site to see ole glory waving in the distance, standing out against the night sky. On the other hand I find it disgusting for a flag to be left out at night in the dark, or inclement weather, or left up after it is showing wear. All against the flag code.

I was our flag bearer all through 6th 7th and 8th grade. I put up the flag and took it down every day for my school for 3 years. We never flew it in the rain, and I was allowed to leave any class at any time if it began to rain to take care of MY FLAG. I would generally go through 2 flags a school year. I also was in charge of the proper disposal of the worn flags. I would get a janitor and we would use the preferred method of burning.

Tom

Yeah, I read that illumination part and that's ok with me as long as somebody doesn't take it to mean that they don't have to pay attention to her anymore.   I know you will.

We were just taught that we didn't do that or at least didn't have the authority.

Dave_Fullmer

Hey Jeff,

Where in the world could you find a flag in Blanchard?  There aren't but 3 businesses in Blanchard, is there?  I was raised in Big Rapids, married a Morley girl and her mother was a DeWitt and owned half interest in the lumber yard in Blanchard.  You didn't get the flag there, did you?

Dave
If it aint Orange (AC that is) it won't run.

biziedizie

Geat post Tom I learned alot from you and the link about the American flag. The many times that I've traveled through the States I've always wondered why everyone seemed to have a flag in their yard and now I think I know why. It's a pride thing and being proud of ones country is a pretty cool thing!

Steve

DanG

Jeff and Tom, I identify with your steadfast respect for flag protocol. In my high school days, I was in the Civil Air Patrol, and was on the Color Guard for the high school football games. We studied and practiced, and did our best to do things the right way. Our big moment came on Friday, Nov 23, 1963. The "powers that be" concluded that President Kennedy would have wanted the football game to be played, even on the day of his assasination. As the band played the National Anthem, we approached the pole, the flag under my arm. Richard Wilson attached it to the lanyards and hoisted it briskly to the top. I, in turn lowered it slowly back to the half-mast position, where Richard secured it with three half-hitches. Our adult commander arrived too late to brief us on the procedure, but in time to see its execution. He was most pleased that we had done it properly.
I didn't feel anything special about the ceremony until we took the field, but the closer we got to the pole, the bigger my goose bumps became. By the time it was over, I had trouble keeping my hat on my head, as the hair on my neck was pushing it forward. :D  Since that day, I have never felt the same about our flag.
"I don't feel like an old man.  I feel like a young man who has something wrong with him."  Dick Cavett
"Beat not thy sword into a plowshare, rather beat the sword of thine enemy into a plowshare."

Tom

What a wonderful compliment, Bizie.  Thank you.

I guess we know now why some rebellious antagonists stomp, tear and burn Old Glory. They realize how much it hurts some of us.

biziedizie

Your welcome Tom. The more I read on this forum the more I understand how Americans feel about their country and I do understand the pride that you have. It makes me want to go out and buy a Canadian flag and put it on my back deck.

BTW I hope you guys kick ass in this war and get rid of that idiot forever.......

Steve

Jeff

Dave, Yep, Dewitt lumber is who sponsored the nail driving contest and gave away the flag.

Dave_Fullmer

I'll be darned.  My wife's cousins still own the yard.  I worked on building their lumber shed when the old one burned in 1964 or 65.  

Back in those years, they still had the old water wheel in the building across the road that ran the origional mill.  I am not sure if it was a grain mill or a lumber mill but I think it was a grain mill.  At that time that building was about 3 stories tall and up in the upper floor Uncle Leon showed me where they stored the grain in bins made up of rough sawed 2x4's laid up flat in about 8' cubes.

Do they still have the animal heads in the show room?  Grampa DeWitt went all over the world big game hunting.

Dave
If it aint Orange (AC that is) it won't run.

Jeff

Dave, we were in a hurry and did not look all around. There was a show room on the second floor for cabinets and such but we did not go up there. The place sure is spread out! Both sides of the road an several buildings. Tammy wanted to stop at Loafers Glory. What a waste of time.  Was that there when you were around?

Thank You Sponsors!