iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Its Sunday AND My Wife has a BIG Hammer.

Started by Jeff, March 09, 2003, 07:37:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jeff

Tammy is probably ready for me to go to work. I get to many wild ideas while sitting around and since she has two good hands and is always game, we are builing a closet and file storage area in our house. She is the hammer guy cause I don't dare pound with this hand.  Is she up to it?

Yesterday we went to a home builders show. They were having a nail pounding contest. Timed event with women men and kids class. You had to pound 3 16Ds into a 4 by 6 cant Time started when you lifted the hammer face from the wood.

Tammy walked up, signed up, got her chance. She picked up the biggest hammer there and drove home 3 spikes with one blow a piece. Total time: 2.8 seconds!  When we left her nearest competition was around 4.8 seconds or so I was told.  They are running the event today yet but I think she has a pretty good shot. ;D

First prize is a 23 foot flag pole kit and a 3 by 5 American Flag.

Here is a pic of the beginning of our closet project. Tammy IS THE HAMMER GUY! :D

Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

Frank_Pender

Sn early congrats, Tammy.  You can really keep Jeff in line with the hammer award.  All you have to do is set the prize right out front of the house and he can see it each day he leaves and returns. :D  If he does not behave you could always place a seat in the closet for him as a time out place. ::)
Frank Pender

Jeff

I got an idea the seat would be about 23 feet :D higher, right on top a that pole.

Mark M

Wow! that pretty good pounding.  8)

My dad's uncle was a contractor and when he would hire fellas he had them drive nails, 20D I think. I can't remember but it was so many whack's and you got the job.

My wife is really handy too, when ever I'm going to take something apart I have her look at it so someone will know how it goes back together. :)

Frank_Pender

Mark, Mine was like that too, when she use to set my chokers.  She said she quit because the fringe benefits began to wane. ;D
Frank Pender

beenthere

DanG - mine is still settin' the 'chokers'  ;D :D :D  She sets 'em harder when the 'fringe' benefits begin to wane, I believe. Mind you tho, not complainin' ;D

JeffB  How is the hand coming along?
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

RavioliKid

Way to go, Tammy!

Hammer those nails, girl!

RavioliKid

Jeff

redpowerd

is that a border collie? get some pictures of her swingin the hammer :D :D :D. how long you two been together?
NO FARMERS -- NO FOOD
northern adirondak yankee farmer

Jeff

Sydney is an Australian Shepherd, Sydney's a he and don't swing Hammers  ;D  We have had Syd since I was a young man. A was only 28 when we got Sydney. He is 14 now.

He was just walking through, stopped and posed, the flash went off, and he went along his merrily way.

Bro. Noble

Well Jeff,

That's pretty impressive what Tammy can do with a hammer.  I hate to tell you this, but my wife can outdo her.  She only has to pick up the hammer and I behave :D

Noble
milking and logging and sawing and milking

Norm

Nice job on the framing Tammy, I'll bet it wasn't easy with Jeff standing there giving ya advice. Did you finally make him go in the other room till you were finished.  ;D

D._Frederick

Jeff,
We to have an Ausy, this is are second one. Are first one made it to about 14, she was deaf and the eyes were going when she got hit and killed.
How is the hand doing, is it still num?

Jeff

Yep, hand is still numb, but the wounds seem to have healed. Doc wants me in a splint another week. I decided to got to work tommorrow anyways. If I can't saw I'll stack one handed.

Sydney does pretty well for 14 years old. He had some trouble this morning though. He went out and it was 8 below zero. He froze his feet before he could go to the bathroom and get back in. He was stumbling and falling getting to the door. He was only out 3 or 4 minutes.

redpowerd

just wonderin. i have a few border collies, Zelda, Rudy, an Chainsaw. really smart and athletic, allthough you wouldnt know it after they killed that porcupine, wish i got some pics!!
they are excellent cow and sheepdogs, and they didnt need much training before they were obeying, most of the time!

im puttin a closet together, too. itll be the first enclosed room in the house, besides the head, of course :D
NO FARMERS -- NO FOOD
northern adirondak yankee farmer

Jeff

If I ever could or would clone an animal it would be Sydney. He has been with us for over have our married live. He has herded and protected my kids since they were 3 and 6 years old. He is simply the most loyal friend I will ever have. He has been a very intelligent dog but I am afraid senility has set in. Either that or more wisdom. Smart enough now to know when to act dumb :)

D._Frederick

Jeff,
Go slow with the hand, it takes time for everything to mend itself even if  the out side appears healed.
Who did Sydney pick out to be his master? Are first Ausy picked my wife and the second thought that I made a better master. Of the dog breeds, I don't think you could find any smarter. The first one could understand most of what you asked her to do. If she had a bad day she would come and tell you all about it,she had a remarkable voice. If I live longer than the Ausy we now have, the next one will be a blue merle.Dogs don't come better than theses!

Jeff

SHE WON!!  just got a phone call. She blew everybody else out of the water!   8) 8) Got to go to Blanchard and pick up da flag!

Norm, Sydney picked the family. He sleeps next to our bed on Tammy's side would be the only real tell-tail sign. He comes to me first if he needs something. Ne is of the blue variety with one blue eye and one brown eye. The blue eye has a little cutout filled with brown and the brown eye has an identical patch filled with blue.

He used to go to the mill when he was younger if I had to go pull maintenance or something on Saturdays before we got a mechanic.  Our favorite game was when a load of logs would come in while we were there. I would always give syd a chance to show off. once the logger was really impressed with Sydney, I would tell him to go to the truck. He would just sit there. I would say, Hey! I said go to the truck. He would just sit there.  I would then say O.K., alright, and then dig in my pocket and get my car keys. He would instantly take them  in his mouth and then go jump in the truck window. :)

ADfields

Jeff, I bet she just got off the bus befor she did that winning nail pounding job. ;D   Some days when Dana gets home I take one look at her and know it's time for me to go out in my shop and work on some thing. :o

A male dog will not single out just one master most of the time and a female will, kinda like people as men want to keep all the options open and women want to get hitched and stay with just one. ;)   All the stock herding breeds of dog are very smart and I think the Ausy's, Border Collie's and Catahoulas that I breed are in a dead heat for the top rung of that race.
Andy

ElectricAl

Jeff,

There is something special about a Woman that will jump right in and take care of business.

Here is Linda framing her new Wood shop and garage.

We are slowly doing the wiring now, too many logs to saw.

ElectricAl
Linda and I custom saw NHLA Grade Lumber, do retail sales, and provide Kiln Services full time.

Linda

Jeff,

Notice who is operating the framing hammer  ;D
and who is practicing his digital camera skills.  :(

What a slacker!

2.8 seconds for Tammy..........WOW :o

I'll have to practice to come close to that!

Way to go Tammy!

Linda
Wood-Mizer 2012 LT50HDE25

Bibbyman

Linda,  Is that a "store bought" building you are putting up?

We need a new, bigger building bad but feel we should saw it out of our own logs.  But the price of a building kit or having a company come in and do it is too attractive.
Wood-Mizer LT40HDE25 Super 25hp 3ph with Command Control and Accuset.
Sawing since '94

RavioliKid

I want to put up a second garage this summer, but I am going to hire someone to do it.  :-[

I am quite sure that I couldn't handle that big of a project myself, although I could work on the crew!

RavioliKid

Frank_Pender

Well done Linda.  8) 8) 8) 8) Let us have a picture of the pole and Jeff's chair when all is lifted into place. ;D
Frank Pender

Linda

Bibbyman,
As a sawmill owner, I'm embarrassed to say that our building is indeed "store boughten."  After careful consideration, we opted for the kit.  Not only did it have a much better price, but we didn't have to wait to get the logs and process the lumber.  I suppose we'd just be starting our project, instead of being almost finished.  

Ravioli kid,
It has been a challenge, but very rewarding.  Al and I both work on it every chance we get.  It has taken us quite a while, especially trying to juggle it with all of the other jobs that come with being self employed.

Frank,
I really hope Tammy doesn't put Jeff up on that pole!  We'd be lost here on the FF without him!

Stay out of trouble, Jeff!  ;) :)

Linda
Wood-Mizer 2012 LT50HDE25

Frank_Pender

Yep, you are corect, Linda.  I am lost most of the time whether here or someplace else.  I take back what I said. Jeff, please stay free of trouble. I can't find myself most of the time for the tree or the forest.  I am always needing direction for something or another. :'(
Frank Pender

Jeff

I am about to go try to put up Tammy's flag. We want to get it up right away rather then wait for better weather as we planned. Its important we Fly our Flags.

Here are a couple pics of Tammy's near complete closets.

The shelf is made from a slice of Tom C's Florida ERC  Thanks Tom! The hanging rod is thanks to a limb off a windfall hickory at the old farm, as are the closet door handles.

Tom

Your welcome, Jeff.  I'm glad it found a good home.

biziedizie

Thanks for posting the pics Jeff you just gave me an idea as to what I can use the t&g pine for that I have in the shop. I like the idea for the shelf and the door knob.

Steve

Mark M

Hey I never saw a closet wired for cable tv, that must be a big sucker  ;)

Paul_H

It looks pretty good to me 8)

That's only my opinion mind you,Crofter might come along and try to pith all over it ;)
Science isn't meant to be trusted it's to be tested

Jeff

We had to lash it to the back deck for now because the ground is froze, but she's flying with pride!

Bibbyman

Yeeeee! Haaaa!  Fly'm high. Way to go Jeff!  
Wood-Mizer LT40HDE25 Super 25hp 3ph with Command Control and Accuset.
Sawing since '94

Tom

Frank_Pender

Nice job Tammy.  Make sure you have a light shining on the Flag after dark unless you take it down each day.
Frank Pender

Tom

Good suggestion Frank. I was never one to condone flying it at night unless there was a reason for celebration, but that doesn't mean that it can't be done.

Here is a link to some Flag Data for those who would like to study the rules.  I like to read this kind of stuff.

http://www.usflag.org/us.code36.html

biziedizie

I still don't understand the part about flying the flag at night, can someone explain why this would be a no no.
  Also with this war going on wouldn't it be a good thing to have the flag up 24hrs a day?

Steve

Jeff

We only had the flag up for a few hours. The weather turned and it has rained since.

Tom

Bizie,
I was raised to believe that the flag came down at sundown.  It was put to bed with the rest of us.  I guess it may have had something to do with my close association with the military.  There are even ceremonies for putting it up and taking it down.  When I was in elementary school we faced the flag when it was being taken down or the Nat. Anthem if we heard it, and put our hand over our heart.  When I went to Military School, the ceremony was very structured and we attended formations to provide dignity for the flag as it was raised and taken down.

People used to drop what they were doing and run take the flag down when inclement weather struck.  In the Military, we were punished if we didn't.  The flag was a lot more important than one's starched uniform.

The first place I saw the flag flown after dark, accepting when someone forgot,  was automobile dealerships who flew it day and night.  I've always felt it was disrespectful that they did that, even if the flag was lit, because they strung them up like pennants and never took them down.  They flew night and day, rain or shine and eventually faded into a torn almost white rag.  It's not only disrespectful but lazy.

We were taught that the U.S. Flag was flown at the Capital 24 hours a day because it represented a government that didn't close.  It also could fly 24 hours a day over a military ship at sea that was underway because she was "on duty".
I think it was allowed for  U.S. Embassies for the same reason but can't really remember.

It had to be a real exception for any other place to fly her 24 hours a day.  Flag protocol was strict in military life and civilian life as well.  Half-mast is for national mourning but we were of the understanding that the President of the U.S.A was the only one who could approve it.  Now anybody that wants will fly it at half-mast.

Things have sure changed.

RavioliKid

I need a new flag for my classroom. The material on the poor thing is starting to deteriorate and there are a few holes in it.

At least it has 50 stars on it.

;)
RavioliKid

Jeff

Tom, the flag code clearly states that the flag may be flown 24 hours a day for patriotic display if properly illuminated during darkness.

I plan to do this when the weather is good. I find it a stirring site to see ole glory waving in the distance, standing out against the night sky. On the other hand I find it disgusting for a flag to be left out at night in the dark, or inclement weather, or left up after it is showing wear. All against the flag code.

I was our flag bearer all through 6th 7th and 8th grade. I put up the flag and took it down every day for my school for 3 years. We never flew it in the rain, and I was allowed to leave any class at any time if it began to rain to take care of MY FLAG. I would generally go through 2 flags a school year. I also was in charge of the proper disposal of the worn flags. I would get a janitor and we would use the preferred method of burning.

Tom

Yeah, I read that illumination part and that's ok with me as long as somebody doesn't take it to mean that they don't have to pay attention to her anymore.   I know you will.

We were just taught that we didn't do that or at least didn't have the authority.

Dave_Fullmer

Hey Jeff,

Where in the world could you find a flag in Blanchard?  There aren't but 3 businesses in Blanchard, is there?  I was raised in Big Rapids, married a Morley girl and her mother was a DeWitt and owned half interest in the lumber yard in Blanchard.  You didn't get the flag there, did you?

Dave
If it aint Orange (AC that is) it won't run.

biziedizie

Geat post Tom I learned alot from you and the link about the American flag. The many times that I've traveled through the States I've always wondered why everyone seemed to have a flag in their yard and now I think I know why. It's a pride thing and being proud of ones country is a pretty cool thing!

Steve

DanG

Jeff and Tom, I identify with your steadfast respect for flag protocol. In my high school days, I was in the Civil Air Patrol, and was on the Color Guard for the high school football games. We studied and practiced, and did our best to do things the right way. Our big moment came on Friday, Nov 23, 1963. The "powers that be" concluded that President Kennedy would have wanted the football game to be played, even on the day of his assasination. As the band played the National Anthem, we approached the pole, the flag under my arm. Richard Wilson attached it to the lanyards and hoisted it briskly to the top. I, in turn lowered it slowly back to the half-mast position, where Richard secured it with three half-hitches. Our adult commander arrived too late to brief us on the procedure, but in time to see its execution. He was most pleased that we had done it properly.
I didn't feel anything special about the ceremony until we took the field, but the closer we got to the pole, the bigger my goose bumps became. By the time it was over, I had trouble keeping my hat on my head, as the hair on my neck was pushing it forward. :D  Since that day, I have never felt the same about our flag.
"I don't feel like an old man.  I feel like a young man who has something wrong with him."  Dick Cavett
"Beat not thy sword into a plowshare, rather beat the sword of thine enemy into a plowshare."

Tom

What a wonderful compliment, Bizie.  Thank you.

I guess we know now why some rebellious antagonists stomp, tear and burn Old Glory. They realize how much it hurts some of us.

biziedizie

Your welcome Tom. The more I read on this forum the more I understand how Americans feel about their country and I do understand the pride that you have. It makes me want to go out and buy a Canadian flag and put it on my back deck.

BTW I hope you guys kick ass in this war and get rid of that idiot forever.......

Steve

Jeff

Dave, Yep, Dewitt lumber is who sponsored the nail driving contest and gave away the flag.

Dave_Fullmer

I'll be darned.  My wife's cousins still own the yard.  I worked on building their lumber shed when the old one burned in 1964 or 65.  

Back in those years, they still had the old water wheel in the building across the road that ran the origional mill.  I am not sure if it was a grain mill or a lumber mill but I think it was a grain mill.  At that time that building was about 3 stories tall and up in the upper floor Uncle Leon showed me where they stored the grain in bins made up of rough sawed 2x4's laid up flat in about 8' cubes.

Do they still have the animal heads in the show room?  Grampa DeWitt went all over the world big game hunting.

Dave

Jeff

Dave, we were in a hurry and did not look all around. There was a show room on the second floor for cabinets and such but we did not go up there. The place sure is spread out! Both sides of the road an several buildings. Tammy wanted to stop at Loafers Glory. What a waste of time.  Was that there when you were around?

Jeff

They have a website Dave, You should invite them to the forum! (they might make a good sponsor someday even. ;))

dewittlumber@dewittlumber.com
www.dewittlumber.com

RavioliKid

DanG,

That is a very special memory of an unforgetable day. Every person of an age to remember has indelible memories of it.

:'(
RavioliKid

Dave_Fullmer

Jeff, the last time we were in blanchard was in 1996.  Loafer's Glory had a special old fashion day and we went.  I think to of the wives of the owners of DeWitt own it.  I also believe it is the old hardware store that my inlaws ran for Homer DeWitt when they first got married  in the 30's.  The girls started Loafers Glory fairly recently, probably about the early '90s.

I'll have to get on their web and tell them I found out about the contest on FF.  I'll put in a plug.

BTW, are you acquainted with Paris Saw Mill?  My son Jeff has been head and sometimes only maintenance person there for several years.  Just this last year they put in a 2 or 3 Million dollar band mill, all automated with PLC control, etc.  He was "promoted" to band saw sharpener, went to school somewhere to learn how to sharpen the bands, take out the tension, etc.  Supposedly, this was going to reduce his overtime so that he could spend more time with my grandchildren.  I guess it has, he is down to 55 to 65 hrs a week now.  I haven't even told him about building my mill yet.  I guess I should introduce him to FF also.

Jeff

Yes, I know of Paris sawmill. We occasionally buy some of their aspen and poplar logs they produce on their Hardwood sales. I will bet Ron Scott has worked with them. In fact I'd almost bet on it.

Jeff

Its Sunday AND My Wife has a BIG LIST.

The closets and storage area are now finished. Now Tammy has me sorting and cleaning and filling them!  Next time i'm building me a dog house so I can "just say no" and still have a place to go. :-/

Thank You Sponsors!