iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Tell us about your Saws!

Started by KiwiCharlie, June 27, 2001, 11:43:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

L. Wakefield

So here's a dumb question. Can you take a stock saw and change the length of the blade? Your post seems to imply that. I can't say I see any reason why you couldn't if you knew how, but I've never known anyone who did it. I would assume there is a limit where if you want more blade you will need more motor or it would be underpowered. :o   lw
L. Wakefield, owner and operator of the beastly truck Heretik, that refuses to stay between the lines when parking

Kevin

Wake,
Every manufacturer has a recommended maximum bar length for each one of their chainsaws mainly for peak performance from the size of engine on each individual model of saw.
I have a saw that the manufacturer recommends a maximum 20 " bar but I have a 24" bar on it because I need the extra length but can suffer a minor loss in rpm.
Bars vary not only in length but in pitch and gauge .
You must know the length,pitch and gauge of your bar in order to purchase the proper chain to fit it.

Frank_Pender

I am maxed out on the length of the bar I can use on my 44's, but not on the 66.  I can comfortably go up to a 48" bar on the 66  without burning the engine up. 8)
Frank Pender

Corley5

For the size timber I generally cut a 20" bar is plenty.  That's what I've always run except the 16" bars on the old Husky 65 meat eaters.  My old 2094 Jonsered and present 395 Husky are both outfitted with 20" bars.  A twenty inch bar should cut a 40" tree and it doesn't get tangled up as bad in brush as longer ones.  My saws also seem better balanced with these bars.  The 395 had a 24" bar on it when I went to pick it up and it just didn't seem to carry right.  It had a 20 on it when I walked out the door.  I see the new 395s have an outboard chain tightener on them.  Nice improvement.
Burnt Gunpowder is the Smell Of Freedom

Duane_Moore

vcan't get the smileys. ???  anybody know where to get spockets for a  090 chain drive??  1/2 or 404?? would appreciate the help   Duane
village Idiot---   the cat fixers----  I am not a complete Idiot. some parts missing.

Tom

Welcome to the ForestryForum, Duane.  Somebody will show up with an answer soon, I'm sure.  :)

johncinquo

Favorite Saw?  Thats like asking favorite ice cream flavor after eating different dinners.  Heres my list of favorites, but certainly not all my saws.

Favorite to race antique class or against my old man: Mac 1-51  era 1961
Favorite to hear running: Mac 125
Favorite to limb under 10": Sachs-Dolmar (makita) 52SI. Super fast and mega light weight
Favorite to cut through big pine: Partner AB P70.  Chisel chain and throws chips 10ft
Favorite to buck up medium sized trees: Stihl 046. Great weigth to power
Favorite to buck up big trees, dropping stumps, and scaring the hell out of anyone else in the woods with me: Stihl 066 with dual port muffler.

My wish list: Stihl 090, Dolmar 7900, and getting my Mac Super 44 worked on so I can race it.  

So little time, so many toys.  
To be one, Ask one
Masons and Shriners

woodmills1

My preference is big motor small bar. :D :D
James Mills,Lovely wife,collect old tools,vacuuming fool,36 bdft/hr,oak paper cutter,ebonic yooper rapper nauga seller, Blue Ox? its not fast, 2 cat family, LT70,edger, 375 bd ft/hr, we like Bob,free heat,no oil 12 years,big splitter, baked stuffed lobster, still cuttin the logs dere IAM

Stan

When I lived in the city, it wasn't one when we moved there,  I got a Sears electric with a 16" bar. Still use it whenever I have to climb to clear limbs. I like the fact that it stops when I let go of the trigger.
When I retired and moved to the real country, I noticed my Dad had a pair of Stihls. My brother said they had 2000 rpm more than his Homelite, so I thought I'd get one.
Sticker shock led me to choose a Husky 51. It had a 16" bar also. Later on it seized up, and the replacement came with an 18" bar.
Then I bought an Alaskan mill and a 20" bar with ripping chain for the 51. Haven't milled much lumber, I don't have a rack to hold the log off the ground, and bendin' over hurts.  :'(
I may have been born on a turnip truck, but I didn't just fall off.

qatanlison

Just joined this forum and thought this thread might be a good one for starting out:

My first own saw was an old Husky 444, still runs but since I got my hands on a 262XPG I was sold; Quite a hot-rod, with an opened muffler it really eats wood, even with full comp and 24".
Last weekend I got a 385XPG, with two extra 10mm holes in the muffler it's insatiable. Got it with a 28" for bucking oak. It went through like a hot knife through butter.
Also use a 351 when climbing; A really nifty saw, much like the 346 but with a wider power-band and not that aggresive.

Well, that's all, apart from a collection of highly tuned american double-bit axes which still come in handy when showing off ;)...

/Ola

Adamj

I have a newer Stihl MS 660 and a Stihl 029.  I love the MS 660 but am less impressed with the Stihl 029.  I buck hardwoods in the 12-28 inch range for firewood.  The MS 660 is great for this task, but a part of me wants a Stihl 088 because I simply like big things.   ;D

Mark M

Welcome to the group Stan and Ola (you to Adam).

I have 2 of everything - Husky 141 and 345, Jonsered 621 and 630, Stihl MS260 Pro and MS460. I like them all but the 630 and 460 get used the most. The 460 is usually hooked to my Lewis winch and used for loading. I'm thinking about getting a 066 for bucking big firewood.

Mark

WV_hillbilly

I started out cutting firewood with my dad's 16" Pioneer  Model ?  some dirty rat stole it so i went out and bought me a new  Stihl 028 and didn't know much about chainsaws. It was a good choice for me . I  also have a 041 stihl that I have been cutting firewood with for 16 years . The 028 still runs great but the 041 is gettin tired.Now a few weeks ago I  traded some firewood for  a new husky 350. I liked it so well i went out and bought a new Husky 372 xp . All are good running saws . now I have the same dilema as when I go hunting. Which one do I take . I 'm going to build a rack on my wood trailer so I can take all 4 in the woods and runnem all.
Hillbilly

Gus

I started with an 030. Had a few of them and also the 031. Went from that to 038 then to 038 Magnum. Now THAT saw was a work horse. I always ran the magnums with an extra tooth on the rim for cutting pulp. Went through 2 of them. Then bought a 034, much lighter than the 038 with comparable power. Still have that saw but only ran it for a year professionally. I still really like it after  ten or so years of cutting firewood and what-not.
 My saws always took a real beating from carrying them on the skidder but they held up well. I guess I've got an old 015 also that I use for construction work. I really like it for that. I'm thinking you could DanG near do surgery with that thing.
Just recently bought a souped up 2100 husky. Jurie's still out on that one, although they have a good reputation. I'm going to put it on a mill see how she does. Just picked up a bar for it yesterday.
 I've got 3 saws again. Can remember only one time before that I had 3 saws.

Gus
"How do I know what I think unless I have seen what I say?"

Greenman

I don't do a whole lotta felling or any milling, but I use a Stihl 026 Pro for everything but climbing.  I do a lot of TSI and arboricultural stuff.

Once they're broken in the 026 is the saw I've had the least problems with.  I've used Husky, Poulan, McCulloch Homelite, and Echo saws, but none of 'em even come close (except the Huskies).

For climbing I use a Stihl 019T or Husky 334 XPT.

IndyIan

My first saw was a husky 372 :)  Usually not where people start but I worked in the woods with a neighbor doing his firewood.  He'd run the saw and I'd winch and skid with his tractor.  A 272 is what he ended up with after getting a couple smaller saws and he recommended I skip the intermediate steps/saws and just get a good powerful saw right away.

I like it alot but I also borrow my dad's 35cc MaCullough when my 372 is in the alaskan.  It's ok to use too, great for little stuff and gets through the big stuff eventually. :D

Ian

Kevin

My little 335 is a good saw in the tree, starts first pull every time when it's warm.
I see they put a fuel primer on the new 338.

Engineer

Little late on the thread but:

Stihl 066 on Logosol (soon to be sold) running lo-pro rip chain for the mill and a 28" bar and skip chisel chain for non-mill activity.

Stihl 025 (little guy) with 16" and 18" standard bars, for most everything else.

New to me is a very very slightly used MS390 bought off ebay, courtesy of Hurricane Isabel.  One of those "buy saw, cut trees, sell saw" deals. Came with a 25" bar and chain, but the safety chain Stihl sells is crap to me, so I have bought a 20" bar and skip chisel chains for normal use and a 25" rip chain for cutting turning blanks and quartering logs.

I just had a local excavating contractor approach me today, found out I had a mill.  He has some 50"+ diameter white oak that has wind and flood damage and wants to mill it.  I need to put a big bar on the 066 to quarter this critter up and mill it all 5/4 QS.  I get half.  :)

Jon

HUNTER700

Hey Folks, It was great to hear what some of you are running.I run a 372 XP Husky on my Alaskan mill. Bucking and felling I use a Husky 61 and Husky 340. My limbing saw is Stilh 024. The Husky's are great saws, the best part is our local dealer Is a great guy to deal with, that always helps. I just love my 024 the only problem is its felt aircleaner  :-[.

Stan

Thank you for the Welcome Mark M, really like your lounging shorts.  8)

Mark M

Thanks Stan, I went on that Queer Eye for the Straight Guy TV show and had a make-over :D Now I am very fashion conscious. ;)

Mark

Stan

I didn't realize that was you.  :-[  :-*

Mark M

isawlogs

Well my all time favorite saws would be a draw ... husky 162 and the stihl 028 .Both I ran with 18" bar .
          Now I have 009 that I take hunting ,
                           026 for around the house
                           028 super woodboss, because I like it
                           034 has the log wizard for debarking
                           036 artic, follows the mill and does the limbing
                           038 magnum is into the stove wood
                           046 artic, stays on the skidder and it does the felling
                           TS 360 cutquick for steel and or ciment
                           HT 75 telescopic pruner (last adition )
 I have a 162 someware in retirement at my dads, I've owned a lot of saws since I started in the bush some of witch I don't care to remember some like the 162 and 028 I have had multyples of .I do remember getting a homelite once I think it was a 430 or something like that was saposed to be the answer to saws well no need to say that it is one that I should forget...
     Now they have saws that would eat the 162 or 028 but back in the 70's it was something to hear a saw turn at 11,000 rpm and take the abuse that these saws took.
 No need to mention that I might  be a little partial to STIHL but by no means do I think that the others are any worst or better it's that thing called service :P....it needs to be close and affordeble ;D....with a smile.......  :)
   And Stihl does have a nice calender ;) ;D ;D ;D
A man does not always grow wise as he grows old , but he always grows old as he grows wise .

Marcel

Thank You Sponsors!