iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Tell us about your Saws!

Started by KiwiCharlie, June 27, 2001, 11:43:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

KiwiCharlie

G'day Kevin,

Lets get the Chainsaw section revved up a bit!
Tell me what saws are you running for your operation.  For falling/bucking etc and for use with the MkIII.  If you use a powerhead with less than 90cc for your MKIII, I would be interested to hear your thoughts on if you think its enough etc.
Do you do your own maintenance or use a shop?
Anyone else feel free to jump in here too!!
I enjoy chainsaws (I have used them since the age of 14 - theres a post there if anyones interested!) and talking about them too.
Cheers
Charlie.

P.S. I really do like Smileys!!
Walk tall and carry a big Stihl.

Kevin

KC;
I have two saws, a 262 Husqvarna and a 066 Stihl.
I first started out using the 262(62cc) for everything and it works well on trees in the 14" range , I mill primarily cedar.
I use the 262 for felling, limbing, bucking and also use it with the Mini mill.
I leave the 066 attached to the MKIII because it has the side chain tensioner.
I wanted to buy a large Husky but they don`t put the side chain tensioner on them and they don`t have any plans to start, thus enters the 066.
I grind my own chains, and maintain the bars along with general maintenance to the saws but I`m not popping any pistons or performing any heavy duty repairs.

CharlieJ

G,day,

I run a Sthil 066 on a 24" MK 111. I do mostly white pine with a few hardwoods thrown in.
I have a husky 036 for limbing and an old Homelite for bucking. the 066 is about minmum for
hardwoods. I also do my own maintenance and file my chains. I recently converted to low profile chain, it speeds things up considerable. A setup like this is great for a woodworker who needs to saw a few logs here and there.

Charlie

Kevin

Charlie J;
When are you going to fire up that Alaskan again?
Do you have any logs left or have plans to fell any trees in the near future?

KiwiCharlie

G'day Kevin,

As for myself, I am running a Stihl 038 Mag for felling and bucking.  At 72cc's its got plenty of go, but is quite heavy for limbing.  Am looking at an 026 Pro for bucking/limbing duties.
Until recently I was using an 066 for all duties, including the MKIII, it was pretty clapped out (I was probably the 4th owner!!).  I have just taken delivery of an 090, and cant wait to hit some serious timber with it.  I have opted for the .404 pitch, .063 guage RS Stihl chain at present, as I figure Ive got plenty of power to pull it.  I would be interested to know if you use LP chain and how you find it.  Do you use Malloffs book?.  I managed to get a copy thru Bibliofind recently for US$110 !! :'(.  I shouldnt complain as its the Bible for what Im doing (and with the info relating to the 090) although the exchange rate from US to NZ is in the toilet right now, so I got caned there!
One peice of gear I dont have is the Mini Mill.  I would like to hear sometime how you find it for edging etc.
As you can see I am a Stihl man, although Huskys 372XP looks pretty nice.  I could be swayed......!
Cheers
Charlie.

P.S. Honestly, I really do like Smileys!!

Kevin

KC;
The best all around ripping chain I have used is the Oregon RA but it`s not easy to acquire for the Stihl saws.
I like Granbergs chain but it doesn`t stay sharp long enough and I`ve only used one low pro ground to a similar configuration.
The RA is a full skip ground to 10 degrees.
I just purchased a chain breaker and spinner so if I can locate a roll of RA for the Stihl I`ll make my own loops for the 066.
I think the problem with the Granberg chain is the difference in height between the scoring and clearing cutters.
The scoring cutters are doing all the cutting so it only stands to reason that the chain would lose its edge sooner than a conventional ripping chain.
I can sympathize with you over the U.S currency, they have all the goodies but it`s twice the price by the time you get it.

CharlieJ

The problem with me milling in the summer is GRASS, the kind you mow, I have about 2 acres and the wife likes it nice and neat. Plus my job, the woodworking, and I am trying to find time to do an addition on my shop with all that lumber I did this winter, WHEW but I enjoy it all.Ii do have a few more logs piled up for this fall.

Kwi, I have a copy of the Malloff book, its great, i paid 100.00 for mine but it is a signed copy and in perfect condition. After trying a bunch of chains I like the Oregon VS Low Profile the best. you do have to refile it into rip configeration. it is .050 gauge, I don't know if you can make it work on the
long bars. I use a 25" sthil bar. I have't tryed the Mini Mill as yet, Kevin is the Guru on that.  

CharlieJ

Kevin

I wouldn`t be without my mini mill !

Gordon

My favorite saw is my Husky 272xp it goes everywhere I do. Let me say it always rides in my truck. Yea thats better. Great all around saw. My largest is a 288xp. Plenty big for what I cut around here. Then I've got a 50 as well. My brushcutter is a Stihl 120 and I've had good luck with that as well.

So thats my favorites. What is the best saw?? Ask ten people and you'll get ten different answers. Just what your used to cut with I guess. Something that holds the rpms in the cut it what makes a good saw for me oh and weight as well. Can't forget tank size. I like the saw to run out of gas before I do, so I can get a ten minute break to refuel and oil. :D

Gordon

Kevin

That`s one nice thing about my Stihl is the clear gas tank allows you to see what`s left in the tank before you run out.
I did hear that the plastic tank mount was breaking if the saw was dropped on it`s head by accident.

KiwiCharlie

G'day Gordon

Thanks for your input.  As a youngster I used Huskys and Homelites cause that what Dad owned!  They were great saws although the Homelite gave out long before the Husky 50.  That Husky just kept on going and going.  It got the use of a Pro saw ( the 50 isnt a pro saw is it?), the amount of wood it was asked to cut!  In the end it just wore out.  To keep it going it would have ended up like Grandpas axe - 2 new heads and 3 new handles!
Since I left home, I worked around Stihl saws and am very happy with them, although like I mentioned before, I really like the cut of the Husky 372XP.  Had a look at one yesterday, wouldnt mind trying a demo model out.
On any forum I have come across, you see the inevitable saw-wars start between brands.  I see over on another forum I belong to, Stihl is getting a royal beat-up by an unhappy customer - that happens with every brand there is, and not just saws as we all know.  Remember that Kitchen-Whizz that never worked right??!!
A good dealer is worth more than anything to you when the you-know-what hits the fan - warranty or not.......
Thanks again Gordon
Cheers
Charlie.

CHARLIE

Holeee Schmolee! My little saws can't compete with y'alls! :o  But, you wanted to know about our chainsaws so here goes.  I enjoy woodworking and have also gotten into woodturning. I'm always looking for logs ("freewood") for turning which means I needed a chainsaw.  My monster is a little 2.0 cubic inch Craftsman (Sears), but it does an adequate job. Not as fast as a 5 cubic inch Huskie but then my time is cheap. It gets a little nippy here in Minnesota in the winter, so my sweetwife bought me a 12 amp electric Poulan chainsaw which allows me to cut logs in my shop without bursting my eardrums. So, my saws won't beat y'alls in the quarter mile but they're adequate....and they startup well. :)
Charlie
"Everybody was gone when I arrived but I decided to stick around until I could figure out why I was there !"

KiwiCharlie

G'day Charlie,
Just remember, its not the size that counts....! lol
Thanks for your input.  Dad was into turning for a while, and as a young fulla (said fah-lar, guy) I managed a couple of "artistic" candlesticks!  However, I had a few instances of the chisel digging into the wood (theres a term for that Im sure) and giving me a hell of a fright.  Havent done any since!
Maybe thats why I like saws so much.  You can just cut the be-jesus out of things!
Ive read that electric saws, due to their high tourqe, dont stop even for chaps (!), so be careful.
Im sure you are though, Im not trying to teach you to suck eggs (heard of that one!!??).
Cheers,
Charlie.

CHARLIE

Hello KiwiCharlie! Thanks for the warning on the electric chainsaw. I didn't know that and I'll surely be on the watchout. :o

In woodturning, you try and "ride the bevel". That means keep the bevel of the cutting edge of the tool against the wood. When the bevel loses contact, then the only thing on the wood is the cutting edge and that is when you can lose control and get a catch. A catch can scare the bejeebies out of you and can bust up whatever you're turning....or even flip the tool out of you hand or break the toolrest. Of course when a chunk of wood comes flying out of the lathe that is the scariest. But if stuff like that happens, it happens  so fast that you get scared after it has already happened. So, it is important to 1. Ride the bevel, 2. present the cutting edge to the wood in the correct position and 3. Pay attention.  :) 

I've got a lot to learn about cutting with a chainsaw though. I use 'em and try and be careful, but don't have a lot of experience or knowledge about what not to do....except to not stick the end of it into the wood. :o
Charlie
"Everybody was gone when I arrived but I decided to stick around until I could figure out why I was there !"

Gordon

When it comes to saws size isn't always everything. Sometimes the smallest saw is the best. Nothing worse than carrying a large saw up into a tree if that large of a saw isn't needed.

At times 5ci is best and other times 2ci is best. Just remember that a properly sharpened chain makes or breaks any saw. So there might be a time that a 2ci saw could out cut a 5ci saw. Well thats going alittle bit overboard. But you get my jest.

Gordon

Kevin

Gordon, that`s why you need at least two or more. :D
I just wish I could have bought two from the same manufacturer.

Gordon

Yea it's a shame that husky doesn't make a side chain adjuster for your sake. Just think of how much more business that they would get. Thats why I've got a few saws. You can never have to many chainsaws. But the wife doesn't think that way. She is still mad at me for leaving a loop of sawchain on the doorknob. :-[

Gordon

KiwiCharlie

G'day Gordon,

You should have been there to see the look on my missus' face, when she arrived home to see a brand new chainsaw sitting on the breakfast bar!!!.......
Well I had to admire it somwhere before it headed for the shed.  It was clean, and it was sitting on a paper, but that did me no favours!
Cheers
Charlie

Gordon

See I find nothing wrong with setting the saw on the breakfast bar. This has been awhile back but the mrs was really really mad at me for filing a chain at the kitchen table. I had cardboard down so no harm could be done. But she didn't see it that way.

It sure was nice and warm sitting at the table filing the chain and rakers. But had to go out to the cold shop to finish. Sometimes the best thing to do is run with your tail between your legs. :D

But I guess it boils down to a few years ago--yes it was my fault. I was working on a saw at the table which she used to have no problems with when it was super cold out. Well I leaked a very-very little bit of oil onto the vinyl floor and put a stain into it. So I'm at fault I guess. I thought the stain looked pretty darn good. She didn't have the same humor towards it.  :-[

Gordon

Eggsander

For several years I ran Dad's old husky 61 (which he bought used !) ;D., After I let the fix-it guy tune it up once it blew up within the first half hour. At that point I made the jump and bought my Husky 257. I still use that saw most of the time with a 20" bar. A couple of years ago I got a Husky 394. I use mostly for slabbing but its sweet for felling and bucking the bigger stuff. I've been tempted at times to put a bigger bar on it but so far have stayed with the 28".
I catch a lot of grief from a couple of Stihl guys for running the Huskys, but when they work as well as mine have I sure  ain't switching.  :)
Steve

timberuk

Been through quite a few saws over the years.

An old Jonsereds..even had points ignition, Reliable but slow.
Husky 262..several. Good, but heavy for the power.
Husky 240. Just as powerful and fast as the 262, but lighter.
Husky 242. Best I ever had.
Husky 42. Second best.
Husky 254. Solid, reliable, but drinks fuel.
Husky 364..the jury is still out. So far so good.

My Dad had an old McCullough. No chain brake, and took a week to start. Oh, and I used a Partner while I was at Forestry college. Not a bad saw, but poorly balanced for continuous fast limbing.

Norman.
I don't do it for the money, so it must be for the love.

Tom

I spent the first 4 years of my custom sawing business with a Mac 640 and fought it's temperamental starting moods and gross inability to oil the chain. It had a supposed automatic/manual pump and the automatic part would never work and the manual part would get clogged and the internal pressure would blow out the pump such that nothing would work.  I was too naive to realize that that was not the way things were supposed to be.  I had used inexpensive homeowner saws all my life and being cantankerous seemed to be just how chainsaws were.

Then, I bought the Husky 61.  Its slick sides moved in the brush without hanging up, it oiled religiously, cranked when I pulled the cord, filled the oil and gas from the same direction, was balanced easy to handle and hard to bog.  My customers took me more seriously when I took out the Husky than they had when I got out the Mac.  A saws reputation can add to your image when your are trying to be a professional.

These are things I had never realized until I upgraded my requirements.  Now I have no desire to diminish them and put myself back in the state I was before.  New brands will have to prove themselves to me now before I change again.

What do I look for now?, a better chain adjuster.

stickbilt

I have a Sachs Dolmar 120 that I bought brand new in 1985. I have a 20" bar on it and it has served me well. It's the only saw I've owned so I can't compare to others. There was a Sachs dealer down the road from me and he has since dropped Sachs and now carries Husky. The last time I brought my saw to him for repairs I asked him how much a comparible sized Husky would cost new. After he said around $500, I asked him how much to fix my saw. It needed new mounts, fuel filter and general tuning. He said $30-40 to fluff your saw. Well it ended up costing closer to $50 but did it ever purr. I can say this about the saw, it has never failed me. I don't earn a living with it but have burned 8+ cords in a winter in my wood boiler all cut with my 120.

Frank_Pender

Whe I first stasted in the firewood end of this industry, 35 years ago, I borrowed my Dad's Homelite.  It had a 20" bar.  That is about all I remember about it, other than I wanted a Stihl.   I finally was able to save enough to buy myself an 031 with a 24" barr.  I was in Heaven.  I then need a back up saw and I purchase d another 031. Two or three years later the 45 came out and that is what is "needed".   I was about ready to buy one when the 56 showed up and I  just had to have one.  Of course the boss was working in the woods with me and saw that I had :two perfectly good chainsaws already and did not need a third.   I was moving 100 cords a year and teaching full time.   One weekend I got this bright idea of running two saws at once though some 20"+  Oak.  I ran one with each hand.   That was the best sales pitch I could give her, when she sas that it was, "You should go get the 056 if you need to cut that fast." :D :D   It had worked.  After that I used all three for two or three years and purchased my first Mobile Dimension Sawmill.   I moved to then to 2 064' and an 066.  I use am 025 around the mill for small trimmings and busting staubs left on logs.  Each of the larger saws have 36" bars and chains, as I am 6'1" and do not like bending over any longer to do my cutting.    Any real wood of any size for falling I use the 066.   Any  timber 24" dbh and less I use one of the 044's.   whatever is handy at the time is what I use for limbing: 25,  44's or the 66.
Frank Pender

Thank You Sponsors!